U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
 
135 posts, read 252,567 times
Reputation: 94

Advertisements

I'm in a situation where I work in an area of medicine where there are 90% female coworkers in the building (plus dating coworkers is a bad idea anyways), therefore my chances of finding anyone at work is zer0 (the other 10 percent are married male doctors).


I'm trying the online dating (match.com, eharmony and yahoopersonals) and while I do get a lot of guys contacting me, it seems like they are either looking for hookup/sex/rude and cheap (I don't mind going dutch but come on can't you offer to buy a girl a drink without her having to ask you?!), under-educated/ignorant(I'm going by the way they write back during email correspondence.), Lie about their age and who knows what else.

I don't have any kids and I have a great personality and a good paying job yet I can't seem to catch a break!

I probably need to start hanging out at barnes and noble/coffee shops or any suggestions?
Please don't suggest bars/clubs! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,237 posts, read 25,529,438 times
Reputation: 12417
I would highly recommend a group dance class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
 
4,838 posts, read 5,189,340 times
Reputation: 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I would highly recommend a group dance class.
Find things that interest you, that also interest men your age.

I needed to get a job in a place like that when I was younger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
1,571 posts, read 3,518,224 times
Reputation: 1318
On line dating is all the rage - some do well with it. But I find it's just "dating".
Try a professional match maker. They are hard to find - and not in all areas - usually, very expensive - but, I've had great luck with mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,151 posts, read 57,085,003 times
Reputation: 38408
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonakki View Post
I'm in a situation where I work in an area of medicine where there are 90% female coworkers in the building (plus dating coworkers is a bad idea anyways), therefore my chances of finding anyone at work is zer0 (the other 10 percent are married male doctors).


I'm trying the online dating (match.com, eharmony and yahoopersonals) and while I do get a lot of guys contacting me, it seems like they are either looking for hookup/sex/rude and cheap (I don't mind going dutch but come on can't you offer to buy a girl a drink without her having to ask you?!), under-educated/ignorant(I'm going by the way they write back during email correspondence.), Lie about their age and who knows what else.

I don't have any kids and I have a great personality and a good paying job yet I can't seem to catch a break!

I probably need to start hanging out at barnes and noble/coffee shops or any suggestions?
Please don't suggest bars/clubs! lol
Find a cause to do some volunteering for - pick something you are genuinely interested in to meet others with similar interests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 AM
 
4,153 posts, read 5,546,208 times
Reputation: 2486
I'm going by the way they write back during email correspondence.

Could you give some examples of some of the written answers you get? (without giving names of course)...I'm at work and looking for 2' fun!(lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,699 posts, read 14,184,564 times
Reputation: 13833
Try looking for groups at Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com. These are social groups that get together for movies, to eat, etc.

Having met my wife on www.match.com and knowing a lot of other people who have as well, I had a good experience with it. Sorry yours was different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 AM
 
30,974 posts, read 19,204,373 times
Reputation: 15123
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonakki View Post
I'm in a situation where I work in an area of medicine where there are 90% female coworkers in the building (plus dating coworkers is a bad idea anyways), therefore my chances of finding anyone at work is zer0 (the other 10 percent are married male doctors).


I'm trying the online dating (match.com, eharmony and yahoopersonals) and while I do get a lot of guys contacting me, it seems like they are either looking for hookup/sex/rude and cheap (I don't mind going dutch but come on can't you offer to buy a girl a drink without her having to ask you?!), under-educated/ignorant(I'm going by the way they write back during email correspondence.), Lie about their age and who knows what else.

I don't have any kids and I have a great personality and a good paying job yet I can't seem to catch a break!

I probably need to start hanging out at barnes and noble/coffee shops or any suggestions?
Please don't suggest bars/clubs! lol
I think you can find some decent guys at the places you are looking listed above. A couple thoughts....
1) How long have you been looking?
2) Try DOING the contacting instead of sitting back getting contacts? (If you haven't)
3) If you aren't getting the quality you are looking for, consider elevating your *value*. Are you in shape? Have you posted ONLY really good pictures of yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,652,813 times
Reputation: 2748
One online site you might try is OKCupid. Free, fun tests, and not totally a sex site (though some are looking for that, obviously). My wife has met a number of friends through that site, for example. Some platonic, some not.

As you seem to suggest yourself, you might consider approaching people in grocery stores, or book stores, or maybe in places where you might find people with a common interest. That gives you something to talk about, anyway.

Of course, I'm really bad about meeting people in real life, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt.

Are there any "speed dating" places in your area? If I were single, I'd strongly consider that type of thing myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
 
135 posts, read 252,567 times
Reputation: 94
I've been doing the online dating on/off for past 2 1/2 months. I suppose I should be patient and be more proactive.

Speed dating? interesting. Haven't tried those


Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
One online site you might try is OKCupid. Free, fun tests, and not totally a sex site (though some are looking for that, obviously). My wife has met a number of friends through that site, for example. Some platonic, some not.

As you seem to suggest yourself, you might consider approaching people in grocery stores, or book stores, or maybe in places where you might find people with a common interest. That gives you something to talk about, anyway.

Of course, I'm really bad about meeting people in real life, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt.

Are there any "speed dating" places in your area? If I were single, I'd strongly consider that type of thing myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top