Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Don't believe? Go down to Home Depot or Wal-Mart Jesus is everywhere!
HAHA. Took me aminute to get that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
It's one day, and it's a nice thing to do "as a family", and it's good to raise your children to have hope, faith, and believe in something- You may not always agree, or want to do things your spouse wants to do, but that is when compromise, and the two-way highway comes into place- Meet half way and grow forward.

Wouldn't it be fun to put away your cell phones and computers and have just ONE day a week devoted to family? It's so rare today ... Saddly.

Good luck.
There are so many other things you can do as a family that don't involve going to church and being bored out of your mind for an hour and a half to two hours - depending on how long they drag it out. There are picnics, hikes, sightseeing excursions, etc. All things you can do with your family that don't involve computers or cell phones. Church is not a "family" thing. It's a very personal thing you do for yourself on your own spiritual quest. It isn't something you drag the family into - unless they are on the same wavelength.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Church is for wannabes.
Life of devotion to God and his commandments is key.

Treadmills are for wannabes.
Marathon runners are key.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM

350 posts, read 1,117,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Why don't you guys find a church you can both go to. There are so many "casual" churches out there. Before I decided to worship only Satan, I used to go to a church that had a variety of characters - people ranging from suits and hats to people in jeans or shorts and everything in between.
That would be a good compromise. I don't know how old your kids are, or how old you are, but here's my take from 53 years experience. I was raised in a very strict church where we would go Sunday a.m., Sunday p.m. and Wed. nights with church camp in between (which I loved).
As I matured, I didn't want to go to church anymore, and I haven't except for a few sporadic visits.

Once we started a family, Sundays were taken up with family activities. My biggest regret through all of this is that I didn't take my family to church and give them that background so they could make informed decisions later in life. My girls didn't have a religious upbringing, and they turned out to be wonderful young women.

But I feel we missed the boat by not giving them the church experience.
Now I find as I'm getting older the need to return to church.

So my advice is, find a church you, your wife & kids will all enjoy. It can't hurt.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
There are so many other things you can do as a family that don't involve going to church and being bored out of your mind for an hour and a half to two hours - depending on how long they drag it out. There are picnics, hikes, sightseeing excursions, etc. All things you can do with your family that don't involve computers or cell phones. Church is not a "family" thing. It's a very personal thing you do for yourself on your own spiritual quest. It isn't something you drag the family into - unless they are on the same wavelength.
I have to agree with Curly...nuk nuk nuk.

Our children need to have a spiritual side. It is essential.

When our children come up and ask some serious and deep questions, as a parent we should be able to tell them the answers.
Granted I am not advocating going to church. Some church's are run like a business. You pay me and I will give you a show of incense and murr for a couple hours. I don't believe all churchs are in good standing with God.
If you want to open up a dry cleaners or pizza shop...run it how you want but if it's a church...well, you have a boss upstairs you are representing. Not Papa John's. So that's where the line is drawn.
I would say if more people would give their children some sort of prayer, church or religious understanding they would be happier in the long run.

Everyone has to do their own searching.

Mr. Cat....you stroll into a church when you want.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I have to agree with Curly...nuk nuk nuk.

Our children need to have a spiritual side. It is essential.

When our children come up and ask some serious and deep questions, as a parent we should be able to tell them the answers.
Granted I am not advocating going to church. Some church's are run like a business. You pay me and I will give you a show of incense and murr for a couple hours. I don't believe all churchs are in good standing with God.
If you want to open up a dry cleaners or pizza shop...run it how you want but if it's a church...well, you have a boss upstairs you are representing. Not Papa John's. So that's where the line is drawn.
I would say if more people would give their children some sort of prayer, church or religious understanding they would be happier in the long run.
Everyone has to do their own searching.

Mr. Cat....you stroll into a church when you want.

EXACTLY. But parents have to model that they are actually searching themselves otherwise they aren't giving their children all the tools they'll need when they grow up.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How is Jesus going to text you if as my son always says "I dont even believe in Jebus"?
One of my sons pronounced 'Jesus' as 'Cheesus' when he was very small and my older kids would tease him. We went to the market one afternoon and said "Come on, we're going to the dairy aisle to find 'Cheesus'!".

I like Jebus too!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
In all seriousness, what is the big deal? If it makes her happy why not go? It costs you nothing but throwing on some khaki pants and an hour or so...I'm sure you have had to endure worse to make her happy...like spending time with her mother!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 AM

893 posts, read 1,579,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I am more concerned that you are married with a child and you guys apparently have not truly discussed religion before, or so it appears by her reaction. Now if you have and she knows where you stand and all of a sudden she says she is going to this church this sunday, well then that is odd. Noone should be guilted into church or "forced" to go. If the only reason you are not going is because you have to dress up, well then that is odd too but I am sure there is more to it than what you have posted.
Why is that important??? What does being married have to do with religion????

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Sometimes I wish I believed in something... I mean, I do believe in SOME higher power who decided to start this sickening experiment on Earth and keeps shaking the tube to see how we're doing, but that's as far as I go. Religious people seem to have easier lives, though, and more peace... unless it's all hypocrisy and fakeness...

I'll tell you one thing, though. I'm not setting the alarm to go to any church on my day off for anybody at all! If somebody cares to support me in style, then I might consider depriving myself of some sleep and accompanying him to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships