Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
well you know, we wives LIVE to be "groped" in front of our friends by our men
LMAO!

you too? I'm sure my wife would love that also.

Too funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Really, I think leg room is the only issue here, especially with automobiles getting smaller and smaller. And with that being the case, I don't mind relinquishing the passenger side to anyone who's taller than me. (Unless it's a two-door vehicle, which I'm never at all comfortable sitting in back of. It's a claustrophobic thing.)

Old 03-27-2009, 01:41 PM

105 posts, read 221,817 times
I think it depends...

If I am good friends with the guy and my lady is good friends with the girl then it makes sense to split up the sexes...

If this is a new couple to me...it will be me and my lady up front.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Well, at dinner, you should not have a couple seated next to each other at a table with chairs as it promotes the social aspects of the evening not to sit next to one's spouse/date/SO. Ladies should always have the banquette if it's a banquette/chair type of table, and with a booth, it should be alternated among the couple as to seating, though a side-by-side booth might be better to have spouses on the same side, though diagonally arranged.

In a self-driven vehicle, however, it all depends upon the lady of the house, but generally she should sit with her husband, unless the ladies are close or they like to talk amongst themselves, but that decision rests with the ladies, and it's very presumptuous and slightly rude for a guy to assume that he's taking the front passenger's seat without being expressly told to do so before the fact by the lady of the house. It's not the same when she defers after he has already made such as assumption, since that's just good manners on her part, not making an issue of his breach during a social occassion.

Technically, when a lady is not driving, she should be seated on the passenger side of the vehicle, since that is the side upon which the door would be opened for her, though this practice is not in regular use, save for valets and doormen. And, to facilitate conversation in the vehicle, the radio should not be used on a social occassion, or if it needs to be on for traffic reports, it should be low so that there is no need to raise one's voice above the din of the news/traffic station.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
You could always squeeze everyone up front

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Well, my SO is going to be 37 in a few days and I am 35. There is a couple we spend time with who are a little younger than us. His wife being the youngest, in her late twenties.

If the male from the other couple is driving, that couple sits in the front and we sit in the back and vice versa.

If we are in separate vehicles, a lot of the time, the girls will go in one and the guys meet us in the other.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
We alternate with different people. With some couples, the men will sit up front while we ladies sit in the back and talk sh*t about the guys (quietly, of course! ). There are some couples that we are cool with either them sitting in the front or us sitting in the front, depending on whose car it is.

If we are ever in the car with my parents, my mom and I sit in the back and my dad and husband sit in front, but I have to sit behind my dad's seat because I'm smaller than my mom, and both mom and dad are like jolly green giants - only not jolly OR green!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I think it must be an age thing but I think its weird when the other guy assumes hes going to sit up front when I'm driving, thats my wifes spot if shes not driving. I see it a lot but mostly younger guys or the lower class bar crowd around here. When I'm out with just another guy Its only natural but when my wifes with me a little courtesy would be nice. What do you think or is it no big deal to you? Would your serious other say something if you didn't?
I sit in back with the other woman unless the guy insists I sit up front. Some do, some don't. IMO, group activities are not couple activities. We're out as a group not as two couples double dating.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I think it must be an age thing but I think its weird when the other guy assumes hes going to sit up front when I'm driving, thats my wifes spot if shes not driving. I see it a lot but mostly younger guys or the lower class bar crowd around here. When I'm out with just another guy Its only natural but when my wifes with me a little courtesy would be nice. What do you think or is it no big deal to you? Would your serious other say something if you didn't?
it's not an age thing, it's a class/culture thing...

another example would be: go to a casual setting/activity where people are only there to have a nice time, not looking for dates or anything like that... a backyard barbecue would be a good example... then notice whether the men tend to associate with the other men and women hang out with the other women, or whether they all mix in together... it's an interesting "experiment"!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
I never liked the double up in one car thing. I like to take my own so we can leave when we want to or they don't feel they have to stay just b'c they're riding with us, or vice versa, us with them. But if I had double up, I'd say they can sit in back. Otherwise, I feel like I have to make conversation, rather then let it happen naturally. I don't like this, "Women, you have your conversations, we men will have ours" crap. That does seem real senior citizen to me. Everyone, just talk, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships