Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times

Advertisements

Say it with a smile, it's all in the delivery. I've always told people it's not what you say but how you say it. Don't get in the habit of apologizing all the time, it automatically puts you on the defensive. The easiest way to get through this is to ask yourself before you say something, "How would I take this if someone said this to me?", and you can usually find a more tactful way of saying something. Kill them with kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 PM

335 posts, read 1,113,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Eliminate the slick comments/smart *ss mouth. There's a difference between talking to people and talking down to people.

You can't please everyone, someone along the way is going to call you a b*tch due to their own shortcomings. But there is no glory in actually being one, taking pride in it or not caring if you come across as one. You can't not care that they call you a b*tch and care that you are being called a know it all/ condescending. They go hand in hand.

Read the book why men love *******?? Being a ***** isn't always a bad thing. While I may have a slick/smart ass mouth...it's not always mean spirited. It can only be offensive if you ARE offended.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
how to saying something without being offensive.

You say it with a smile.

Okay!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Say it with a smile, it's all in the delivery. I've always told people it's not what you say but how you say it. Don't get in the habit of apologizing all the time, it automatically puts you on the defensive. The easiest way to get through this is to ask yourself before you say something, "How would I take this if someone said this to me?", and you can usually find a more tactful way of saying something. Kill them with kindness.

That's a challenge I will work on.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Also, use the word "I" instead of "you".

Instead of saying "You should do X this way..."

say "I have found that X works really well when I do it like this....."

This comes across as sharing helpful advice rather than issuing orders.
THANK YOU!!! I really gotta remember this too!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
Read the book why men love *******?? Being a ***** isn't always a bad thing. While I may have a slick/smart ass mouth...it's not always mean spirited. It can only be offensive if you ARE offended.
*shrugs* okay.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
*shrugs* okay.

assuming you don't agree.

but really read the book. it's entertaining at the least.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
assuming you don't agree.

but really read the book. it's entertaining at the least.
No, I don't agree. But, I have heard its a good book.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
I think there's a world of difference between b*tchiness and assertiveness. I like a woman who says her mind in a direct, yet tactful way. As far as I'm concerned, it saves time. However, I wouldn't put up with loud-mouthed person, male or female, who just blurts out whatever they're thinking for all the tea in China.

Here's the thing. If one takes pride in being a b*tch, what they're really saying is, "You know, I really don't give a rip about other people's feelings. It's about me 24/7, and I'll say just about anything to cow others if it means I get my way." Is that really the kind of person you'd like to be?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default How to say someting without being offensive

Rule #1, don't ever offer unsolicited advice. People who bobble through their lives tripping along the way will trip, get up and be just fine without anyone poking their nose in or telling them how to trip. Rule#2, if someone asks for advice, make sure they REALLY want it first. When someone asks me for advice (in person) I always ask them if that is truly what they want because I normally don't mince anywords.

People who come off as condescending usually have a fair amount of being full of themselves going on and tend to be on the know it all side. Sorry, but in my experience, those who have come across as condescending to me are know it all right fighters. Now remember, you asked how to get rid of this trait...so I am giving you what you wanted. You have to remember that although you are aggressive with what you want out of life, others may not appreciate this trait when it comes to helping them out. Be a good listener, hear out their issues and then ask them if advice is really what they are looking for. Don't ever make the other person feel like their problem is "dumb" "ridiculous" or "not a big deal", to them it is real.

So basically...tone your little aggressive self down when it comes to other people and I am sure you will be just fine...practice makes perfect, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships