U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 AM

3,014 posts, read 5,637,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
No bra it is not all good. I have faced racism and no what it is to have to fear for my kids safety because of the narrow minded attitudes. No i can not leave the emotion at the door. You grow up witnessing your friends and loved ones beaten for the color of their skin, see if you can hear this garbage without emotion. Or better yet you get passed over on a job, or told at the door of a club there are too many of "you" to come in here. Whateva hommie. Come holla at your boy we can work it out.
hahaha, are you serious? i guarantee you're going to get "holla'd" at all your life because you don't know how to use your brain. keep acting out of emotion like an animal or a child and we'll see how far that gets you.

Did you miss the part of my post that says I'm from the southside of chicago? you do realize that racism works all ways, right? you do realize there are black dominated unions, right? I got squeezed out of a union because I was promoted quickly and others found it unfair. Needless to say, I didn't cry about it or hold a grudge because I used my brain. You should try it some time...

do you know what roid rage is? don't come talking tough on the internet to impress some middle aged ladies that you're never going to see. talking tough on the internet is the sure sign of a sissy.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,762,577 times
You know what man ok fine we will talk on this. If you want to be intellectual about it. Lets look at facts. It has been roughly 3 generations since the black population has been given the opportunity to attain the same life as the white population. Do you think the entire race should all of a sudden have the same experiences as you. Education, opportunity, the good ole' boy network..... these are the things that allowed the "majority" to continue the climb over the generations. To see this many successful black people in just three generations speaks volumes to the genetic drive and ambition ofthe African American race. For that matter so do the dope king pins, they grew up seeing that is the job of choice. They did the damn thing and made it happen their way. You have to be able to respect the bravery and conviction it takes to walk the streets and come out on top. I can't say I want a bunch of king pins rolling around but I hope you can see my point. If your options in life are so limited as to where you will work, where you will go to school, who you can date, how far out the hood could you get?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 8 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,656,319 times
There is a certain sadness I have for lonely black women the older they get the less their chances are. If you want to see a real player he's a single, educated, good looking, professional, 55 year old or older healthy black dude, he's got black women all over him like peanut butter on a shagg carpet. I know white families in this small town who he get their sons to take Black girls to the prom so they don't get left out. I think its pretty typical?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM

3,014 posts, read 5,637,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
You know what man ok fine we will talk on this. If you want to be intellectual about it. Lets look at facts. It has been roughly 3 generations since the black population has been given the opportunity to attain the same life as the white population. Do you think the entire race should all of a sudden have the same experiences as you. Education, opportunity, the good ole' boy network..... these are the things that allowed the "majority" to continue the climb over the generations. To see this many successful black people in just three generations speaks volumes to the genetic drive and ambition ofthe African American race. For that matter so do the dope king pins, they grew up seeing that is the job of choice. They did the damn thing and made it happen their way. You have to be able to respect the bravery and conviction it takes to walk the streets and come out on top. I can't say I want a bunch of king pins rolling around but I hope you can see my point. If your options in life are so limited as to where you will work, where you will go to school, who you can date, how far out the hood could you get?
now that's a great post. i can respect that. and you didn't even ask me to come holla at ya! sweet. you're right. the black populous is held to the same standards as white people but in reality they are only mere decades removed from 2nd rate status. It's tough though, where do you draw the line? you have to treat them as an equal but reality is they are only 3 generations removed from bigotry so you can't hold them to the same standards even though that's what many want. it's like how women want equal rights but still expect men to hold the door open for them or let them walk out of the elevator first (all things i do).

I don't think half those drug kingpins would have been conquering the streets of new york or LA or houston if they had a father as a role model or their mother wasn't on welfare or a section 8 recipient. the black community continues to progress thanks to things such as affirmative action and free college tuition. I just wish more black males would take advantage of it. black women sure are. that's why for every 4 black females that graduate with a degree, 1 black male does. Black males have a tendency to get caught up in the judicial system. and until that changes, the black women are going to have to work twice as hard to seperate themselves from the stereotypes. So, in a sense, are black women ignored because of black men?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,762,577 times
The problem is in trying to judge anyone by race. To see me during work hours you would have no idea how I grew up or where. To see me at the club I doubt you would connect me to the business I own or the type of work I do.

It is really easy to get jaded. I took my STBX wife (non white) to Hot Springs, Oklahoma about 9 years ago on our anniversary. I ended up having to fight my way out of a dinner full of racist idiots. I have had to defend my children from these same type of people in school. I have been shot by a white male while walking with my black friends for being a traitor. Don't be shocked when people who have been through what I have get heated. Your lilly white view of the topic makes it easy for you to simplify it. I seriously doubt you would be half as cavaleir, had you lived through it. Granted there is "reverse" racism; in my experience most of it is kind of like a premptive strike. I am gona say I hate you before you get a chance to hurt my feelings, by putting me and my kin down based on race.

Back to do they get ignored.... no not in my opinion. There is some one for everyone.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM

65 posts, read 79,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't doubt that there are many of you, and that you can be found "EVERYWHERE", but clearly men like Hoarfrost aren't seeing ANY of you in his daily travels.

In addition, again while there are many of you, please keep in mind that blacks only make up 12% of the US general population. Let's say half are female, so that's goes down to 6% of the general population. Factor in that some black women are not as cultured or educated as you are, plus of the cultured and educated ones, some of you are already taken and in a relationship or married, then focusing on black females within a certain age group.... so then perhaps men like Hoarfrost are searching for an elusive 1% of the population... which seems to make a single black woman of your quality a relative rarity and rather difficult to find.

It seems to me that a singles website listing available cultured and educated black females might be in order...
Just like Asians only make up 4% of the population, which is even smaller than the lack population, but your implication is that without exception Asian women (2%) are all super-educated, feminine, and sought after by every race of man. By your reasoning if there isn’t a plethora of diverse Black women that can also be educated, feminine and accomplished, since you are Hoarfrost don’t see these mythical unicorns of accomplished Black women, then all the rest of us are supposed to be greasy, fat, uneducated, STD carrying, OOW baby’s momma’s. Of course all Asian women must all be PhD nuclear physicists, who can play Rachmaninoff, and look like Gong Li with a size zero frame and that they have a line of suitors at their beck and call.

Stereotypes are harmful and to assume based on an extremely narrow sample size that there are not all these mythical educated Black women who are attractive and desirable is just as farcical an assumption that all Asian are the model minority feminine gold standard. So Michelle Obama and Condoleezza Rice are unicorns and thus they are the exception to all those weave wearing, fat, ugly ghetto fabulous black women that is supposed to representative of the diversity of what makes a Black woman experience.

I'm willing to bet that men don't notice Black women becuase we don't conform to what is physically beautiful to society unless she already has the characteristics in place. They will self select these women out of the dating pool, but are more forgiving of non-Black women who may not be as accomplished or educated.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 AM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,806,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think TV has stereotyped Black Women . It seems the one role a Black actress is garuanteed to get is the "Fat,Black ,Sassy,Moma" even on Grey's Anatomy, Now black men are dressing up in drag and taking away the one role black women could get. Even in Ugly Betty she may not be fat but she is sassy. An attractive Black woman represents this Parodoxical combination of Sexuality, Power, independence, physical strength and the unattainable. At one time the most beautiful of these women were reserved for white men only, IMO this accounts to why TV and madison avenue has a had time with the image of blackness, femaleness, and beauty ( unless it's a horse)
I'm kind of getting very tired of this argument, that tv and films are stereotyping black women and men in a negative way. Since when does every black actress and actor have to look like a skinny fashion model? With many crime and medical drama shows, it seems to me that the producers are trying to go for character actors that reflect the type of people found in real life situations. People of ALL races come in different shapes and sizes. Some are beautiful, most are plain and some are ugly. As as pointed out before, the majority of black women are overweight, but again most Americans of all races are overweight.

You mentioned Ugly Betty. Isn't Vanessa Williams considered black? And she looks fabulous, especially for her age.

I've been following Celebrity Apprentice this season. And it's great that both the mens and womens teams have several black members. And particularly interesting is the mens team. Brian McNight and Herschel Walker are very impressive classy black men. Dennis Rodman is a mumbling alcoholic mess. I'm glad that he finally got fired. I hope he straightens out his life and stops drinking.

On the womens team, I was really sad to see Claudia Jordan get fired last week. The remaining black team member Tionne Watkins was a great team leader on last night's show.

Anyway, I feel that Hollywood has represented blacks very decently for decades, all the way back to at least the Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poitier movie Guess Who's Coming For Dinner. As to characters like Madea, you can only blame that on Tyler Perry... who is black. I've found Eddie Murphy's last few films irritating for his racial stereotypes.

And how do you feel about Dave Chappelle's humour?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM

2,147 posts, read 2,830,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
No, I don't think black women are ignored and I can't see how you can stereotype any human being regardless of their color. Yes, some black women behave badly and so do white women, asian women, mexican women, puerto rican women...we all can and do behave badly at times.

If you are asking this question because you are from a different country and feel that because you are from a different country and your skin is dark that you are being "ignored", I would step back and see why beyond the skin color you are being ignored. Are you coming across to ALL people like you feel you are better than the averge woman because of where you are from? Have you developed a protective attitude in general when it comes to who approaches you? Men who approach you are not going to by osmosis know where you are from and once they do discover where you are from if you are coming across as feeling "superior" to other women of color, of course they are going to run the other way.

There is good and bad among all races. I have bumped into some pretty nasty white women who I would never care to be friends with...as I have women of all other races. My dearest friend of 30 years happens to be African American and I am as white as snow...she is and always will be like a true sister to me.

My advice is this....relax and forget about color...be nice to people, listen to people, take time to get to know EVERYONE who crosses your path. You are smart enough to separate who would be a good friend and who wouldn't but give them all a fighting chance before you turn your back. You may be getting ignored because of something you are doing so look there first.
CTPam, even though I am Caribbean-American, I identify as a black woman & don't have instances where I feel as though I am ignored. I realize what you are saying & I am not stressing over this, I'm "relaxed" about color. As a black female college student who is graduating next year (Class of 2010 baby! ) We were speaking of the male-female ratio between black males & females in college & how it was extremely lopsided, esp. in our case. I attend a faith-based institution so most of the BM here are athletes or involved in relationships w/ non-black women. This was just a conversation, my girlfriends & I had over coffee. No biggie.

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 03-30-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,806,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoon View Post
Just like Asians only make up 4% of the population, which is even smaller than the lack population, but your implication is that without exception Asian women (2%) are all super-educated, feminine, and sought after by every race of man. By your reasoning if there isn’t a plethora of diverse Black women that can also be educated, feminine and accomplished, since you are Hoarfrost don’t see these mythical unicorns of accomplished Black women, then all the rest of us are supposed to be greasy, fat, uneducated, STD carrying, OOW baby’s momma’s. Of course all Asian women must all be PhD nuclear physicists, who can play Rachmaninoff, and look like Gong Li with a size zero frame and that they have a line of suitors at their beck and call.

Stereotypes are harmful and to assume based on an extremely narrow sample size that there are not all these mythical educated Black women who are attractive and desirable is just as farcical an assumption that all Asian are the model minority feminine gold standard. So Michelle Obama and Condoleezza Rice are unicorns and thus they are the exception to all those weave wearing, fat, ugly ghetto fabulous black women that is supposed to representative of the diversity of what makes a Black woman experience.

I'm willing to bet that men don't notice Black women becuase we don't conform to what is physically beautiful to society unless she already has the characteristics in place. They will self select these women out of the dating pool, but are more forgiving of non-Black women who may not be as accomplished or educated.
I don't know how you got all of that from my post, I was just trying to help Hoarfrost find a SINGLE classy black woman to date and Calipop sees them "EVERYWHERE".... so somehow there has to be some middle ground between Hoarfrost finding none and Calipop practically tripping over them.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 8 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,656,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'm kind of getting very tired of this argument, that tv and films are stereotyping black women and men in a negative way. Since when does every black actress and actor have to look like a skinny fashion model? With many crime and medical drama shows, it seems to me that the producers are trying to go for character actors that reflect the type of people found in real life situations. People of ALL races come in different shapes and sizes. Some are beautiful, most are plain and some are ugly. As as pointed out before, the majority of black women are overweight, but again most Americans of all races are overweight.

You mentioned Ugly Betty. Isn't Vanessa Williams considered black? And she looks fabulous, especially for her age.

I've been following Celebrity Apprentice this season. And it's great that both the mens and womens teams have several black members. And particularly interesting is the mens team. Brian McNight and Herschel Walker are very impressive classy black men. Dennis Rodman is a mumbling alcoholic mess. I'm glad that he finally got fired. I hope he straightens out his life and stops drinking.

On the womens team, I was really sad to see Claudia Jordan get fired last week. The remaining black team member Tionne Watkins was a great team leader on last night's show.

Anyway, I feel that Hollywood has represented blacks very decently for decades, all the way back to at least the Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poitier movie Guess Who's Coming For Dinner. As to characters like Madea, you can only blame that on Tyler Perry... who is black. I've found Eddie Murphy's last few films irritating for his racial stereotypes.

And how do you feel about Dave Chappelle's humour?
I don't think hollywood has any responsibility to Minorities because people can always turn the TV off , and go to the library. But you have to admit that there is a short list of people who come to mind when you think of minorities on TV that should be emulated. People born after the 80's probally have a much different perspective on Minorities on TV. But had it not been for my parents and upbringing I would of only seen: Mexicans=Bandits, Black=mamies and street wisecracking runing from the police or preachers,Asian=hopsing or Bruce lee, Arabs=Ali-babba, Southern Whites =racist, and so on. I think comics are imune to criticism because of them we see the ignorance in these beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships