Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,865,972 times

Advertisements

Wearing your heart on your sleeve means that you show your feelings easily and if you are timid like you say, I don't think you would classify as being a person who does this. Normally people who wear their hearts on their sleeve get hurt easily because they will say "I Love You" long before the guy or girl does, then will be the first to say "sorry" when things go wrong...it is someone who easily gets hurt.

Guys at first want someone who is shy and timid but I think the newness and the sweetness of it wears off fast. I don't know where the happy medium is but I do suggest that you don't try to change who you are. If you are a shy and timid lady...that is ok, it is who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:02 AM

670 posts, read 2,113,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
What does it mean to someone when they wear their heart on their sleeve? I've noticed that most of the guys I've been out with end up having "bad intentions". I don't dress provocatively, my friends have told me that I'm a nice, caring person, very friendly but shy. I've been working at a shelter for abused kids since my freshman yr, (I'm a college junior now) but at the same time, my mom always says that I wear my heart on my sleeve, even at my age (20). Not to make this sound like a narcissistic thread; but I admit that I am kind of shy & timid at first esp. around a guy that I'm attracted to, but then once you get to know me, I am much more relaxed...why are these guys attracted to me?? & also, how can I get rid of this supposed "weak" demeanor?
If this is who you are, you're going to reveal yourself more than some people. Don't think of it as a bad thing. Some people keep themselves so controlled and distant they come off cold. Best you can do is like yourself and feel confident about yourself. If you do that, your emotional side won't seem like a burden. And just be sensitive to other people's reactions to you. If you're emoting and you sense that the other person is a little overwhelmed by it, then drop it a notch. Or use humor to defuse it.

The main reason people listen to music, go to a play, or a concert is for the emotional display that art provides. Why do people seek that out? Because we contain ourselves so much in our daily lives; we enjoy and even crave the emotion in an acceptable venue.

Lastly, wearing your heart on your sleeve, to some extent, allows people to connect with you. My guess is that when you stir up that emotion in others, men are going to want to sleep with you because they're drawn to what they sense is the passion in you, and that can add to the sexual attraction. If you aren't ready for that, then be prepared to communicate/negotiate that when dating.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,422,191 times
Default heart on your sleeve

I dont see whats so bad about wearing your heart on your sleeve with the guys you date. If by "bad intentions" you mean sex, just tell them to wait till you get to know them better. You can dress anyway you want and still ask for respect and to be treated like a person and not just a sex toy. More than anything, you just have to let them know what you want.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,230,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
If this is who you are, you're going to reveal yourself more than some people. Don't think of it as a bad thing. Some people keep themselves so controlled and distant they come off cold. Best you can do is like yourself and feel confident about yourself. If you do that, your emotional side won't seem like a burden. And just be sensitive to other people's reactions to you. If you're emoting and you sense that the other person is a little overwhelmed by it, then drop it a notch. Or use humor to defuse it.

The main reason people listen to music, go to a play, or a concert is for the emotional display that art provides. Why do people seek that out? Because we contain ourselves so much in our daily lives; we enjoy and even crave the emotion in an acceptable venue.

Lastly, wearing your heart on your sleeve, to some extent, allows people to connect with you. My guess is that when you stir up that emotion in others, men are going to want to sleep with you because they're drawn to what they sense is the passion in you, and that can add to the sexual attraction. If you aren't ready for that, then be prepared to communicate/negotiate that when dating.
I've found that wearing my heart on my sleeve and revealing my feelings to people has brought me nothing but hurt and rejection. Now I try my best to not reveal my feelings, so I'm probably one of those people that come off cold. But that's a lot easier than having all the hurt that comes with letting people know that god forbid I care about them.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I've found that wearing my heart on my sleeve and revealing my feelings to people has brought me nothing but hurt and rejection. Now I try my best to not reveal my feelings, so I'm probably one of those people that come off cold. But that's a lot easier than having all the hurt that comes with letting people know that god forbid I care about them.

I've noticed that too which brings me to the conclusion that I should probably begin to not reveal myself until way further should the relationship progress. Why are men so afraid of feelings/emotions?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
I've noticed that too which brings me to the conclusion that I should probably begin to not reveal myself until way further should the relationship progress. Why are men so afraid of feelings/emotions?
This is complete conjecture on my part since I'm not a guy, but maybe the answer is that while a guy is taking those first couple of dates to size you up and figure out what type of relationship he wants to have with you, he's sensing the warmth, friendliness, and natural affection that you're giving off. Maybe this makes guys uncomfortable because they haven't made up their minds yet and know that if they come to the decision that they don't want to pursue anything, they may hurt you. If they're with a woman who is calm, cool, and collected and they decide to walk away, perhaps it's easier. But if they've been making small emotional connections with you right away, it makes it harder. So they feel uneasy with display of emotion because they don't yet know which path they are going to take--to stay or leave. Again, I'm just guessing. The guys would answer this question a lot better than I could.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,230,788 times
Quote:
And I don't even necessarily mean guys I've just started to like or whatever. I get people that I've known for a LONG time to stop talking to me completely after letting them know how important they are to me. It doesn't make sense to me.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
And I don't even necessarily mean guys I've just started to like or whatever. I get people that I've known for a LONG time to stop talking to me completely after letting them know how important they are to me. It doesn't make sense to me.
I think that's a sign of emotional immaturity on their part. A mature person can handle being told how someone feels about him or her, regardless of whether they feel the same way.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 17,381 times
Hey, Im new to this! Ive just messed up another relationship and all my partners have ended it the same way "you wear your heart on your sleeve learn to love yourself and respect yourself" I try to hard but can't seem to get anywhere can some one please help me ? x

Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
it's okay for women to wear their heart on their sleeves but not guys unless they feel like fighting every which way they turn. men have to have some logic on their side otherwise things can get confusing in MANWORLD. women are already crazy beings in which we can't understand so they can wear their heart on their sleeve, play with toys, or do whatever they want because it makes no sense to us either way!
I'm sort of tired of hearing this generalization. Hopefully, some of us have moved beyond this point--Men v Women. We are people and while gender may have some connection when individuals establish sufficient trust and understanding of each other it doesn't seem that important.

At times it is 'Fun' to consider inherent differences but that, imo, is a parlor game.

My Mother, in her 90's, is still stuck on this. It really gets old. I think men and women have been understanding each other if sufficiently motivated to do so for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships