Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How tall (excluding high heels lol)?
Over 6 feet 1 0.52%
5'10" to 6'0" 22 11.34%
5'8" to 5'10" 37 19.07%
5'6" to 5'8" 46 23.71%
5'4" to 5'6" 47 24.23%
5'2" to 5'4" 21 10.82%
5'0" to 5'2" 15 7.73%
Below 5'0" 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My height tends to be the topic of discussion at parties and people are shocked at what I endured because of my height. I know you've been there and that's why I questioned Axel's age. It's like a flashback to jr high & high school.

The irony is that guys go ga-ga when I'm out or at parties. I don't understand it all that much myself because I'm not some beauty and the majority of men tend to claim they dislike taller women. I know my husband is flattered by the attention, but it gives me anxiety. (But that's a whole different thread! )
Yeah, don't realise that tall women get bullied so much, because for men unless you're freakishly tall being tall is a good thing. So much for supermodels being in demand? Did you find the girls more cruel than the boys?

Being a taller woman you must stand out doubly as much too, which I'm sure would cause unwanted attention.

6 foot for a woman is hardly freakishly tall, although haven't met many gals over about the 6'4" mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My height tends to be the topic of discussion at parties and people are shocked at what I endured because of my height. I know you've been there and that's why I questioned Axel's age. It's like a flashback to jr high & high school.

The irony is that guys go ga-ga when I'm out or at parties. I don't understand it all that much myself because I'm not some beauty and the majority of men tend to claim they dislike taller women. I know my husband is flattered by the attention, but it gives me anxiety. (But that's a whole different thread! )

I was fairly lucky growing up because I had a friend who was very supportive, but I was made fun of A LOT and it continued well into my 20s. Random strangers still to this day think it's okay to come up to me and say 'You're pretty, but I would NEVER date a woman as big as you'. Why is that alright? Would they go up to a woman who is 4'7 and say 'awww, you're so little, I'd NEVER date someone as tiny as you!'.

I get a lot of attention when I go out as well, but it's more of a novelty thing. I've had people want to take pictures with me

I'm very comfortable with my height now, but when men post things like that it takes me back to my awkward days in High School and I simply don't like it.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Unless you're a dwarf, your height shouldn't start with a 4' either lol jk.

Seriously, why is everyone so anti tall women? There are a decent amount of 6'5" guys out there, do they really prefer a 5'0" woman over a 6'0" one? If I was that tall I'd definitely prefer the 6 footer.
Despite the bias evidenced on this thread/forum, as a taller woman, I have to admit that I've never ONCE been turned down due to my height. I've dated guys taller than me, I've dated guys shorter than me, and nobody has ever voiced an issue with my height whatsoever. No problem getting dates, and tall women tend to be eye-catching on the basis of their height alone...we stand out, and get attention. I'm not sure that "everyone" is so anti-tall women. I think insecure guys are anti-tall women...and catty short women tend to ****-talk us, too. I make a point to hang out with neither insecure guys, nor catty women. Problem solved.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,304,189 times
Not insecure...... just a preference. It's hilarious how comments can be made about a bald, short, fat beer bellied man and it is hilarious! You say you don't care for Amazon women and the claws come out. Strange????????

Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Despite the bias evidenced on this thread/forum, as a taller woman, I have to admit that I've never ONCE been turned down due to my height. I've dated guys taller than me, I've dated guys shorter than me, and nobody has ever voiced an issue with my height whatsoever. No problem getting dates, and tall women tend to be eye-catching on the basis of their height alone...we stand out, and get attention. I'm not sure that "everyone" is so anti-tall women. I think insecure guys are anti-tall women...and catty short women tend to ****-talk us, too. I make a point to hang out with neither insecure guys, nor catty women. Problem solved.
Honestly, in my experience women discriminate way more against men on the basis of height. I too haven't heard any guy saying a girl was 'too tall' unless she was a good few inches taller than him. Whereas I hear the opposite somewhat often (but not as often as it would appear from reading relationship forums on the net). Like most women tall women will tend to prefer someone her height or taller. Which sometimes makes me suspicious of tall women who complain that men think they are too tall.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Not insecure...... just a preference. It's hilarious how comments can be made about a bald, short, fat beer bellied man and it is hilarious! You say you don't care for Amazon women and the claws come out. Strange????????

There's a difference between saying you have a preference and putting down an entire group of women.

I could say 'I prefer taller men because I'm tall'

Or I could say 'I ONLY date tall men, not short little bitty men!!'

See the difference?

And I don't make denigrating comments about bald, short, fat beer bellied men. I believe all people regardless of physical appearance have their strengths and weaknesses, so I try no to pick on people to make myself feel better.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Honestly, in my experience women discriminate way more against men on the basis of height. I too haven't heard any guy saying a girl was 'too tall' unless she was a good few inches taller than him. Whereas I hear the opposite somewhat often (but not as often as it would appear from reading relationship forums on the net). Like most women tall women will tend to prefer someone her height or taller. Which sometimes makes me suspicious of tall women who complain that men think they are too tall.
Well, the girl I dated who was taller than me (by a whole inch!) put it thus: as a woman who was 6'3, her dating pool would already be smaller if she was hung up on a guy needing to be a few inches taller than her. If she threw in other general physical and personality traits and interests, then it would get even smaller. By not being hung up on height, she had plenty of options open, where if she was, she'd have had few.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:

I'm only 'complaining' because I've had it happen to me on multiple occasions. Of course, I also dated a guy who was 6'8 who told me I was too tall for him

Perhaps it's my age. It seems to me that the older I get (I'm 27) the easier it is to keep a man's attention regardless of my height. Guys in their early to mid 20s seem to be more caught up on silly things like that.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Yeah, don't realise that tall women get bullied so much, because for men unless you're freakishly tall being tall is a good thing. So much for supermodels being in demand? Did you find the girls more cruel than the boys?

Being a taller woman you must stand out doubly as much too, which I'm sure would cause unwanted attention.

6 foot for a woman is hardly freakishly tall, although haven't met many gals over about the 6'4" mark.

The boys called me names (Andre the Giant, Lurch, Tree, etc.) in elementary school and jr high, but by HS that stopped. I definitely had more issues with the girls in high school. They were cruel.

I definitely don't blend, especially since I wear heels. Most people would say just stop wearing heels, but I think they're flattering on me...make me more feminine looking despite bringing me up to 6'5". And standing at 6'5" certainly hasn't stopped the men from hitting on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I was fairly lucky growing up because I had a friend who was very supportive, but I was made fun of A LOT and it continued well into my 20s. Random strangers still to this day think it's okay to come up to me and say 'You're pretty, but I would NEVER date a woman as big as you'. Why is that alright? Would they go up to a woman who is 4'7 and say 'awww, you're so little, I'd NEVER date someone as tiny as you!'.
I was bullied, but was fortunate in that I had a lot of family support and friends. (I graduated from an unusually large school which also made it easier.) It also helped that my family is rather tall with the shortest family member being my sister at 5'7".

I'm always amazed at how people think it's ok to just come up and start asking me questions or comment on my height. I would never just approach someone to just ask questions about their physical appearance!

Quote:
I get a lot of attention when I go out as well, but it's more of a novelty thing. I've had people want to take pictures with me
I've had people ask to takes photos, but it's rare. I hate that, mostly because I don't want to be somebody else's joke. (And I hate being photographed in general. )

Quote:
I'm very comfortable with my height now, but when men post things like that it takes me back to my awkward days in High School and I simply don't like it.
I love my height and as I see it as an asset, but it can sometimes be overwhelming.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,304,189 times
Quote:
Quote:
There's a difference between saying you have a preference and putting down an entire group of women.

I could say 'I prefer taller men because I'm tall'

Or I could say 'I ONLY date tall men, not short little bitty men!!'

See the difference?

And I don't make denigrating comments about bald, short, fat beer bellied men. I believe all people regardless of physical appearance have their strengths and weaknesses, so I try no to pick on people to make myself feel better.
I bet I could dig out 50 threads of it! I'll leave it be! This is for all the shorter heavy set gals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships