Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Smokers passively force non-smokers to inhale their smoke everytime a smoker lights up in public. You don't have to tie them up and seal off all the doors and windows. You KNOW this, so don't insult people's intelligence with your irrational arguments.
What rot!

Unless you're standing right beside them for the duration of the smoking, inhaling frantically, CONSTANTLY day in, day out, you're at no more risk than you are walking around exposing yourself to the toxic exhaust from cars, buses and trucks.

SHOW me the health statistics for passive smokers that have undeniably contracted cancer from a situation as you have described. You can't I'm betting AND this would be WHY the laws allow for smoking where they do.

There's irrationality here but it's not coming from me and as far as I can see intelligence in this instance is highly debatable.

I think we need to buy you a fan and a gas mask.

You still haven't answered my questions regarding other more risky behaviours you are engaging in that will prematurely end your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
This is an EXCELLENT point you raise. Thank you.

This brings me back to the basic underlying point of many smokers in this thread....and that is that many smokers are indignantly lamenting that it is an infringement on smoker's rights to enact taxes on tobacco, ban smoking in public places, and otherwise persecute smokers.

My argument is that the laws banning smoking in public places like restaurants, airplanes, trains, busses, subways, classrooms, offices, stores, movie theaters, indoor arenas, etc. is absolutely VITAL to the common health of citizens. If such laws did not exist, can you imagine the rate of asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema and lung cancer on non-smokers? Can you imagine innocent children, with lungs that are still growing, sitting in a movie theater, surrounded by smokers? I'm too young to remember, but I can't imagine how awful it must have been for flight attendants to work on a plane where people had total freedom to smoke.

So, no....of course passing by a smoker as I enter a building isn't going to kill me, but I will always DEFEND existing laws banning smoking in public places, and advocate for even more laws. This is common sense.
I doubt a lot of smokers mind most of the laws about indoor smoking. I think smokers tend to like to go outside most of the time anyway, even at home. We always did. I think what most of the furor is about is the laws that say that smokers cannot smoke anywhere, not even outside in the open air. Those are unnecessary.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
What rot!

Unless you're standing right beside them for the duration of the smoking, inhaling frantically, CONSTANTLY day in, day out, you're at no more risk than you are walking around exposing yourself to the toxic exhaust from cars, buses and trucks.

SHOW me the health statistics for passive smokers that have undeniably contracted cancer from a situation as you have described. You can't I'm betting AND this would be WHY the laws allow for smoking where they do.

There's irrationality here but it's not coming from me and as far as I can see intelligence in this instance is highly debatable.

I think we need to buy you a fan and a gas mask.

You still haven't answered my questions regarding other more risky behaviours you are engaging in that will prematurely end your life.
See my former post for my rebuttal against your dribble. And I would love a fan and gas mask, thank you. Perhaps they can be purchased from the newly enacted taxes on cigarettes.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I doubt a lot of smokers mind most of the laws about indoor smoking. I think smokers tend to like to go outside most of the time anyway, even at home. We always did. I think what most of the furor is about is the laws that say that smokers cannot smoke anywhere, not even outside in the open air. Those are unnecessary.
Tell that to the smokers in my city who are vehemently fighting bans on smoking in bars.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,091 times
I'm tellin ya....some non smokers are just so angry!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:55 PM

Well, duh...alcohol and smoking go together!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
I'm tellin ya....some non smokers are just so angry!
Nah....we're not angry. We're just less weak-willed than smokers. We don't need a daily dose of stimulants to get through life as you addicts do. And we get frustrated when you cigarette addicts try to justify your foolishness.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM

does that add to your self-righteousness?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
does that add to your self-righteousness?
No, but it takes away from your's.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, that's the thing, moonshadow... They don't COME in; they are DROPPED in by Daddy USA and Mommy England. It's a "global" world, ya know, and "fun" can't be only local. It starts with the overachievers (at first we also thought it was only California madness) and moves eventually even to the kickers and screamers...

Greece pushes to move ahead smoking ban by summer - Monsters and Critics

Same here.

Wow! Just wow!! Greece is the last place I'd have expected this to take place although the article did say that so far the changes have been largely ignored. They're probably going hard at it in an attempt to lower the percentage of Greek smokers. 45% is higher than most places now. Can't help wondering if it has a lot to to with the politics of Greece joining the EU as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships