Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 PM

159 posts, read 576,969 times

Advertisements

Remember the days when the husband used to earn a living, while the wife used to take care of the kids and the household? Didn't life seem to be less complicated? Not that I know it for a fact, because I wasn't born in that era; even my mom used to work side by side with my dad in the store they owned.

But from TV shows like "Little House on the Prairie" it sure seemed like a more peaceful lifestyle. The kids could count on a parent being there for them all the time, and IMO it helped keep them in line and feeling well loved. The husband could count on a warm welcome from his loving wife upon his return home... Or am I just viewing that era through rose-coloured glasses?

(Ever since a kid I fantasized of a lifestyle like that... and I've been actually living it for the past 4 years, but not with the full consent of my husband, because these darned modern times won't allow for just one partner working... so now it's back to work... the end of a nice fantasy, but I've enjoyed it while it lasted.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Yeah, those days look sweet to me as well, right or wrong. They're not coming back, though, that's for sure.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
My wife is a teacher, and she entertains me sometimes with staff room chatter that goes something like this: feminism ruined my life! I don't want to work!

A lot of what we think of as the past is actually myth though. In most eras in American history and other cultures, women worked. Of course wealthy women (and to a lesser extent men) didn't, but wealthy women (and to a lesser extent men) don't work now if they dont' want to. In that litlte house on a prarie, Carol worked her b*** off. A woman on the frontier did much more work than the typical man does today.

Working class city girls did factory work, took in laundry, cleaned other people's houses, etc. All feminism did was tried to elevate the respect of women's work to the same level as the respect for men's work, imo.

Who doesn't want to not work though? Sign me up. You think if I pretended to be gay I could find a nice rich old man who would take care of me?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM

249 posts, read 473,399 times
For me personally I think working means freedom, freedom not to have to ask some for money for this or that. Hey that is just my opinion I love working I would go stark raving mad if i was home all day. I would have to start watching oprah and the stories( I am not tad I am tad's twin brother brad)LOL

Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
All feminism did was tried to elevate the respect of women's work to the same level as the respect for men's work, imo.
I don't think so. It just provided two slaves for the price of one. You might wanna read some on Gloria Steinem's not-so-publicized background and connections.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I'd have to kill myself if I had to stay home and take care of a house and kids and satisfy a man, and that's my whole existence. Sorry to disturb the fantasy.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 PM

670 posts, read 2,113,969 times
When I was 17, all I really wanted to be was married and have 3 kids by the time I was 30. I would have been happy to be a stay at home mom. Life doesn't always work out the way you planned...I think I'd be happy with taking care of a husband,family,house but it would be different than it was back in the 1950s. I would have to have outside interests that were intellectually stimulating and I wouldn't be salivating over the latest household appliance that just came out (thinking of the ads from the 50s where the wife was estatic over her new blender). I think women were kind of locked into a role that didn't allow them to fully develop their minds back then. I think it's better now, that you have a choice, if you have a choice. As you said, even before the economy went south, almost all married women have to work and don't have a choice about it. I think a lot of women do enjoy working. If I had found a career that I really enjoyed, I'd be happier with working too. Actually, working parttime would be ideal.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM

159 posts, read 576,969 times
I was wondering there for a moment if Carol was working or not, but I couldn't remember it anymore. All I remember from what used to be my most favourite show was Charles riding home in that wagon, while Carol was eagerly waiting for him in front of that cosy little house... so sweet and romantic, haha.

Yes, I understand that not all women would enjoy staying home. I do, even though I'm not sitting around watching TV all day... I rather hang around on the internet most of the day, lol. Seriously, last year I finally gathered the courage to start working on a website. I didn't think I could do it, but it's getting there, and I'm secretly proud of my work. Still have a lot to do, but it would be ideal to make a living with it.

Blessed are the people who do a job that lifts them up, something they feel passion for... Wished there were more lucky people like that on this earth.

On the bright side, there is a job opening in my area which I have my eye on. I'm faxing my resume and cover letter tomorrow and then I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get the job... It's something simple which I think will suit me very well: a receptionist position. I'm sure it will feel nice to earn an income again, especially if it's through a job that feels right for me.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Good luck, and go get 'em Zephora!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Very true Westcobb...the flowery music they play during those old films doesn't help either (incidentally, I just LOVE that kind of 'muzak' music, lol). It certainly did seem simpler. I think people knew their place and life was safer and more predictable. The era you are talking about is more the 1950s than the 'olden days' - the 1950s were such a domesticated decade, but that kind of life was actually very new and exciting at the time. New appliances like refridgerators and televisions, luxuries like two cars in every garage....the world as a whole was also a very exciting place to live in in the 50s and 60s, in some ways more so than now. I also lived the optimism and having something to look forward to instead of having something in the future to dread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships