Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I've heard it said that abusive men tend to be very charming at first to a woman, very kind but I really don't know how to spot these men. Do they take on any kind of woman or do they mostly target women with low self-esteem. A friend of my mom's was involved in an abusive relationship with a man & she appeared very confident, self-assured woman. They are no longer together but my mother always wondered how she ended up with that man? What are your thoughts?
number-one red flag:
someone who insists on "exclusivity" when you barely know the individual.

second red flag:
criticizing numerous things about you, your life, etc., and demanding that you "change" those things.

third red flag:
(although this doesn't always happen, it's a sign of danger if it does)- insisting on always being in your company, and getting rid of the other people in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Now, I can agree with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
number-one red flag:
someone who insists on "exclusivity" when you barely know the individual.

second red flag:
criticizing numerous things about you, your life, etc., and demanding that you "change" those things.

third red flag:
(although this doesn't always happen, it's a sign of danger if it does)- insisting on always being in your company, and getting rid of the other people in your life.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM

670 posts, read 2,114,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm sorry Shania but if somebody "tests" me then I'm going to get a little suspicious and annoyed with him/her for "testing" me, more likely they will not be called again, ignored, or even lectured to. Sorry but we are adults, we don't treat prospective mates, friends, or coworkers like guinea pigs to be tested on.

Also "tests" would annoy any normal/regular person with standards and expectations.

My thought, is if you are suspicious and have an overall body instinct that the guy or friend or mate or whatever is not for you, then move on. Don't be testing folks because karma will come back to you, some day you will be put through frustrating tests to see if you become angry or nasty or to draw out your dark side.
I don't mean "test" like devise a test of sorts to screen out potential abusers. What I mean, but guess I didn't say very clearly, is don't be afraid to voice your opinions and preferences, even if they are different than your date's. Some women tend to go along with everything to be nice (I'm guilty as charged sometimes at this), but if you actually state a preference and it's different than the guy's, a normal, mature guy can adjust and handle this; a guy who needs to be in control or has some type of agenda may not. And that can be a big red flag. There are other signs and ways to pick up on the vibes of an abuser or even a dangerous guy, this was just an example that came to mind last night when I was writing this post.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,660,682 times
I was 19. Met this good lookin` dude, charming, kind, etc.. For about 3 months. One night, we had a brawl, and I could not believe that he hit me! I was stunned and of course, blamed it on the alcohol.
We went to his brothers house, and his wife had a black eye! I was so young, and naive....sheeshhh! Needless to say, that this, so called man, was so charming, and me being so naive, I stayed and lived in that mess, for 3 and a half years! I know!
I also may add, that he was one of these.....he is the nicest guy, until, he starts drinking!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,659,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I've heard it said that abusive men tend to be very charming at first to a woman, very kind but I really don't know how to spot these men. Do they take on any kind of woman or do they mostly target women with low self-esteem. A friend of my mom's was involved in an abusive relationship with a man & she appeared very confident, self-assured woman. They are no longer together but my mother always wondered how she ended up with that man? What are your thoughts?
I think most of these men seek out women who are vulnerable, no self/low esteem etc.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
ha ha ha ok blondie you rule

Old 04-05-2009, 03:00 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,659,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
ha ha ha ok blondie you rule
I know, I was one of them years ago!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I think most of these men seek out women who are vulnerable, no self/low esteem etc.
You are more than likely correct.
I was one also.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:57 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Where are all of these low self esteemed women. When I was single and looking to mingle I seemed to bump into only women that seemed to have very high self esteem if you get my drift.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Where are all of these low self esteemed women. When I was single and looking to mingle I seemed to bump into only women that seemed to have very high self esteem if you get my drift.
They were in hiding! lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships