Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
what's ironic is that prior to living with a man, most women did their dishes, did their laundry, etc.

but once she moves in with a man, now all that has to be shared (at best) or done wholly by the man (at worst), or by a maid...?
And most men did their own dishes before getting married but many seem to expect their wives to do it for them once married. We're not maids.

If both men and women did their dishes and laundry before getting married, what's wrong with both of them doing it after they're married?

BTW, doing dishes, laundry and cleaning up after myself is a lot easier than doing it for more than one person. Why should my work load go up because I got married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm a fan of the throw-it-back-in-the-dryer-with-a-damp-towel approach.
Heck, I don't even do that. Body heat works just fine

Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I should have said "for me", and I didn't mean to offend. Still, even as originally written, you still misread my statement. Doing your own ironing and cooking three meals a day doesn't mean your life is meaningless or unfulfilled. Doing these things doesn't mean your life is dedicated to them. But those activities themselves are very menial and devoting one's life entirely to household chores (which I believe is very rare today) is something that I have trouble picturing as meaningful or intellectually satisfying. I mean, if they are -- why not then church one's own butter or scrub floors by hand?

Got it! Explained much better for me! I'm kinda slow... and I'll admit that!!

I don't think I dedicate my life to those kinda chores, but I don't mind 'em. But than again, I have some OCD issues and my house has to be spotless or I can't relax very well. But a certain amount of cleaning every day keeps me "happy" and relaxed otherwise I start to twitch!

I had an Aunt & Uncle who rented their back farm out to Amish families... talk about a life of serious work! They did churn their own butter! The day I saw the wife outside mowing the fields with a push mower is the day I thanked my parents for not being Amish! LOL!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You're kidding, right? Most of the gals I know are excellent cooks. And yes...we know how to iron. What a question!!

I built an arbor, repaired my lawnmower, installed a ceiling fan and a new toilet, and I aerate my lawn every fall.
I assume that you also know how to do these things, as well as cooking and ironing.

And FWIW, I just now finished ironing 4 pair of pants.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Listen, I do not have time for all of that none sense. I mean if you can work for both of us and my job IS to take care of the home and chores and stuff then maybe that will work. But I have a job, friends, and a life. You are grown work it out your self...Im not your mother!!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:14 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
I'm making dinner tonight and I vacuumed! And I went to work for 5 whole hours!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And FWIW, I just now finished ironing 4 pair of pants.
I find ironing to be relaxing. I know, I know...

Old 04-03-2009, 05:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

Do you still exist ladies?

well, I'm still here lol

Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Hmmm ... I will wear a frilly apron and lovingly iron a stack of shirts, while banana bread cools on the windowsill behind me, and my strapping, shirtless husband chops a big stack of wood and . . . pumps some water or something ....

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
My dad did the whole office thing... suits and ties...my mom hated to iron so my dad said he'd pay me a buck a shirt...and extra if the shirts had the right amount of starch I cleaned UP and did it for years!
I will iron....but I don't. I think the iron finally got tossed when we moved....
I just time it right to get DH's work clothes out of the drier before the cycle ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships