Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,227 times

Advertisements

... a credit card balance that is 15 years old?

I recently received a letter from a major credit card company. It was addressed to my brother, who owes them about $450.

This was quickly followed by a letter where the company said they'd accept and final and permanent settlement, if the company received $290.

So I spoke to my brother, who doesn't live with me (we haven't lived together since the mid-90s). he said this was a balance from when his former, longtime girlfriend used his card without his permission.

He also said, "too bad for them. It's been many years now." by that, it was clear he has absolutely no intention of paying this.

Now, this is my view of the situation. Even if it is true it was not him who used the card then (I wasn't a credit card holder at that time, and don't know the laws/rules then, i.e, if you could dispute charges as you can now), I thought it was very irresponsible of him to have let the balance remain unpaid for all these years.

I will not go into further detail, but my brother is in a position where he does not need credit cards at this moment. As you would expect, his credit history and score are terrible. yet he's managing and surviving.

Do you agree with me that he should've paid this a long time ago, even though the account was closed many years ago? it appears as if he refuses to pay not just because he's got issues w/ responsibility, but because he and his ex had a terribly messy ending, and out of pride, he won't pay for something she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
15 yrs. I think there is a time limit on collecting debt. I wouldnt pay it either, now.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,435 times
still.... part of me is saying that he is only hurting himself in the long run. When he signed the Credit Card agreement he promised to pay for the money he borrowed by using the card. When he allowed her to use the card, he was still under that same agreement that he was libel for that money she spent. If he wanted that money back from her he should have sued her.
Now this late in the game he is still libel for that money. And depending on the laws in the area then he could still be held accountable everytime that debt gets sold.
should check out the statues for the state. Debt collection Statute of Limitations by State. or Debt Collection Statute of Limitations - by State I would also think he would be concerned with his credit reports.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:21 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,874 times
Well the credit damage has already been done, and the statute of limitations has probably expired.

So he's already taken the hit to his credit, why take the hit to his bank account too?

Granted he shouldn't have let it stand out that long, but really...what good does it do to pay it now?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
A debt is a debt, regardless of the time involved. He should pay the debt and get it over with...it is a matter of honor.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,274 times
Why is it okay to steal from a corporation, but not an individual? People think of businesses as some vague entity. The more people blow off debts like this, the more those companies have to lay off employees. This DOES affect real people at the end of the day.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
A debt this old has probably been passed around from collector to collector. Visa (or whoever) won't see a penny; that debt is written off and long gone. I bear no love for collectors. I know it's a job, but some of those people are the scum of the earth.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:36 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A debt this old has probably been passed around from collector to collector. Visa (or whoever) won't see a penny; that debt is written off and long gone. I bear no love for collectors. I know it's a job, but some of those people are the scum of the earth.
I don't give a rip about a collector either but the world would not need debt collectors if people lived within their means and paid off their debts.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I don't give a rip about a collector either but the world would not need debt collectors if people lived within their means and paid off their debts.
I agree!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
A debt is a debt, regardless of the time involved. He should pay the debt and get it over with...it is a matter of honor.

Thank you!

I'd wonder about someone who lacks the respect to own up to something like this.

Wonder what else in his life he's showing the lack of respect for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships