Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn;
Fortunately, where I'm at in life career-wise isn't where you are.

Again, you're speaking of yourself and your lot. Most women, most people, you have known are a reflection of you. Just as the people I know are a reflection of me, etc. Why that's so difficult to grasp for some I don't know. Generalizing your negative experiences onto millions is bigotry. Any how, roughly 50% of the people I work with are women. The vast majority of my male and female colleagues are professional, respectful, and productive people.
My career is just great; co-workers are part of a package I have no control over.

Your assumption that I have generalized my negative experiences onto millions is so off-base it's laughable. I began my original post referring to some women I've had the unfortunate experience of observing at work.

I believe it is you who is generalizing by making remarks such as "you and your lot" and "lower class." I spoke of people I have seen and worked with while you are making broad statements about people you've only read a few statements about on an Internet forum. I've limited my statements to my own experiences while you feel free to make strange and off-base remarks about something you know nothing about. Bigotry? Hmm....

In my experience, I find it easier to work with men and any problems with that scenario are few and far between. Women have been a different story - it is no reflection of me. It is workplace dynamics and is what it is.

With that, I'm done conversing with you. Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I guess this is a bit of a tangent, and I haven't read the whole thread but doubt this issue has been raised ....... on the internet, packs of women seem to join hands in seeking out trolls (basically to them, anyone who disagrees or offers an unusual viewpoint). True trolls are insulting without offering anything to a thread, but these female cliques seem to gang up and get hysterical about anyone who contradicts the textus receptus, the holy view handed down for the generations (I'm thinking specifically of survival forums where I would criticize certain thoughtless but standard practices.)

Women are MUCH more into censoring on internet forums than men are. Calling someone a troll and asking for his or her banishment is the way they carry out that censorship. This can devolve into hen-pecking parties where they attack one of their own.
All I can say is that you're off base. I think that's just one of those things, where women are described as catty, hysterical, untrustworthy, backstabbers, etc., while the same behavior from men is ignored or described in different ways. I can point to any number of threads where men heckle each other and say catty things. I think it's just a myth that is repeated so much that people believe it without really thinking about it.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
My career is just great; co-workers are part of a package I have no control over.

Your assumption that I have generalized my negative experiences onto millions is so off-base it's laughable.
If you are not generalizing then you should not take issue with my initial response, which notes that your experiences probably have less to do with gender and more to do with your station. That's just how the cookie crumbles. Likes segregate with likes.

Quote:
I began my original post referring to some women I've had the unfortunate experience of observing at work.

I believe it is you who is generalizing by making remarks such as "you and your lot" and "lower class."
How am I wrong? The women you work with, even the women who are your supposed friends, are people you are leery of. That has everything to do with you.

Quote:
I spoke of people I have seen and worked with while you are making broad statements about people you've only read a few statements about on an Internet forum. I've limited my statements to my own experiences while you feel free to make strange and off-base remarks about something you know nothing about. Bigotry? Hmm....

In my experience, I find it easier to work with men and any problems with that scenario are few and far between. Women have been a different story - it is no reflection of me. It is workplace dynamics and is what it is.

With that, I'm done conversing with you. Have a good day.
Yes, bigotry. It amazes me that you can question it and then your next paragraph makes a generalization. It's not a workplace dynamic across the board. It may be a dynamic for segments, but that's your world. That's where you fit, so yea, again, it's about you.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If you are not generalizing then you should not take issue with my initial response, which notes that your experiences probably have less to do with gender and more to do with your station. That's just how the cookie crumbles. Likes segregate with likes.
You did assume his position was "low class" and "undereducated," which was a leap on your part.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You did assume his position was "low class" and "undereducated," which was a leap on your part.
Professionally, you are correct, although I specifically used "under" rather than "un" because formal education is an unknown. I work in a professional environment. There is no time for drama or shenanigans. It's simply not done. And it is a matter of class. As my mother always said, "show me your friends and tell you who you are". I have learned that she was spot on with that.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
It's just a jealousy insecure trait a lot of women have. There's always going to be someone prettier, thinner, smarter, etc than you. NO reason to be a snatchy ***** to that person.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Women I work with who are my friends? I may like certain people as coworkers but making actual friends at work? Not generally a good proposition. I have met people at work who I became friends with outside of work but I try to keep the line between personal/professional clear in almost all cases. I am not leery of women I know on a personal basis. I get to choose those people, coworkers not so much. So your off-base assumptions about other women and me have everything to do with you, not me as you have supposed. Making assumptions and painting with a wide brush must be where you fit; so yep, this is about you.

You also mention the "vast majority" of men and women you work with as being responsible, productive, etc. Please, do tell, what about that minority who presumably don't fit that description? Going with your story line, what is that minority reflecting back to you? You've had a lot to say but not much about your own lot.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 AM

188 posts, read 304,421 times
And men are not mean to each other? Men are even more brutal to each other sometimes.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn;
Professionally, you are correct, although I specifically used "under" rather than "un" because formal education is an unknown. I work in a professional environment. There is no time for drama or shenanigans. It's simply not done. And it is a matter of class. As my mother always said, "show me your friends and tell you who you are". I have learned that she was spot on with that.
I am a civil engineer with a 4-year degree.

I do not take part in drama or shenanigans, some of my coworkers have and will continue to do so. It's an observation. Except for very specific cases, most are not able to choose their coworkers. People come with different personalities and experiences, their baggage is no reflection of me.

"Show me your friends......" Sorry, coworkers are not my friends.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
But you can not extrapolate your personal experience to the population at large (by assuming that a catty, competitive work environment must be an undereducated one) anymore than Pug can. We can judge you by your friends, yes, but that doesn't mean your reality is prevalent.

My opinion at this time is just that people are people. Catty men, catty women, kind men, kind women. The stereotype that women are inherently manipulative, two-faced backstabbers is BS.

Susan G Komen National Race For The Cure - YouTube

The top comment on YouTube at the moment is from someone who said, "Ya kno ive never seen walks for testicular cancer ... its kind of upsetting."

Women interact more socially than men do. The upside is that we can form strong, supportive bonds and help each other like in the video. The downside is that we can also be nosy gossips. Men are more likely to be loners who mind their own business, yes, but they are more likely to be lonely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships