Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

I'm also totally an elephant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yeah, I must admit I do have an elephant brain as well, and can remember way back to when I was in nappies (diapers) and my misadventures. I guess I just get frustrated with the goldfish brain so I tend to mention it more. I do have a good memory for a lot of things.

Do you remember your family picnic way back in detail or is it more like a montage? A movie montage piece where they play the music and move through a big part of the story quickly without much dialogue?

I have these "youtube" type clips of situations I replay in my head of times when I was younger and I don't know how accurate they are, although my elders seem to recognize them when I describe them.
I've even debated how a situation unfolded with my Mum based on my memory of it and been successful.

But ask me what I did just before posting this post and I'm struggling!

The earlier events are more of the movie montage. I don't remember conversations way back then. And I'm in the same boat...couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast this morning.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Mine has "selective elephantitis" in regard to memory. She only remembers the bad stuff.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
The earlier events are more of the movie montage. I don't remember conversations way back then. And I'm in the same boat...couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast this morning.
Yep! That sounds like me too!

Memory is such an interesting thing!

Personally I'd like to know why I can remember obscure song lyrics and movie quotes that I may have heard only once or twice but ask me to remember how to do algebra or logarithms, something I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON, and my mind is completely blank.

I think I have selective memory like coolhand suggested only I'm REAL GOOD at forgetting the bad stuff!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I remember strange things, I remember what I was wearing when I met met my husband, what I was wearing on our first day, when he proposed. I remember what I was wearing when the space shuttle blew up.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I am like so many others. I clicked in to see if your wife was huge or if she was a republican and you were not. I found out, once again, that an elephant never forgets.

My husband and I have been married 44 years. We sometimes have conversations that start out..."Do you remember." Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I can't even remember when prompted. Isn't the brain an amazing thing.

Saw on TV news show how they are trying to find a way to erase traumas in the brain. They had little mice constantly getting shocked because they were given something that made them forget that a section of the box they were in had an electric shock. It was horrible to watch.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I remember strange things, I remember what I was wearing when I met met my husband, what I was wearing on our first day, when he proposed. I remember what I was wearing when the space shuttle blew up.
My mum remembers things in terms of what she ate.

She can't tell you how we got from the airport in Amersterdam to the hostel (public transport) but she can tell you every little detail of the meal they served on the plane!

It's a reoccuring theme with her and I often ask her what did we have for lunch etc when we were here and she can tell you the lot right down to the kind of crockery. She'd have no clue what she was wearing though.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
My mum remembers things in terms of what she ate.

She can't tell you how we got from the airport in Amersterdam to the hostel (public transport) but she can tell you every little detail of the meal they served on the plane!

It's a reoccuring theme with her and I often ask her what did we have for lunch etc when we were here and she can tell you the lot right down to the kind of crockery. She'd have no clue what she was wearing though.
I can do that with food too

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I can do that with food too
I can't! I have to take photographs of the meal! Gets me some looks I can tell ya!

I did a few short courses on Neurolinguistic Programming a few years ago and it explained a lot about how people view and store information in their memory. I'm not sure what category "memory by food" would come under!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,196 times
I remember weird things....I know my kids ages...but the yr escapes I recall things like numbers...situations...but not specifics....my husband is an elephant on crack! However, he has so many things going on in his head all the time...he will say..."Don't forget about __________" And I look at him and say HUH? He has conversations in his head that never make it out of his mouth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships