Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM

324 posts, read 862,406 times

Advertisements

I don't want this to be " another interracial" relationship thread, but I do have a situation- need reasonable opinions.
I am the darker half of an interracial relationship. We have been together on and off for almost 2 years. He says he loves me, but is torn as his family refuses to support him as far as our relationship goes. So it's basically me or them. I don't ever want to make someone choose, and feel that in the future it would be a bone of contention between us if things ever turned bad. I love him, but ultimately may have to walk away...what's a girl to do. I want him to make a decision, I don't want to force him to do anything. But i can't wait forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:37 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankygf View Post
I want him to make a decision, I don't want to force him to do anything. But i can't wait forever.
What decision do you want him to exactly make?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:51 PM

324 posts, read 862,406 times
i just want him to make a decision either lets break up or lets take this to the next level-I feel like i'm at a cross roads in my life- I'm thinking marriage/maybe children and I want to know if this is a viable option for us, or justmove on...

Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
What would happen if he chose you? Have his parents threatened to cut him from their lives?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
i just want him to make a decision either lets break up or lets take this to the next level-I feel like i'm at a cross roads in my life- I'm thinking marriage/maybe children and I want to know if this is a viable option for us, or justmove on...

Well shoot...you need to ask HIM that.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
well if he hasn't asked already chances are he doesn't want to get married yet.

Quote:
We have been together on and off for almost 2 years.
off and on for two years? That doesn't sound like a good relationship.....

Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
I don't want this to be " another interracial" relationship thread, but I do have a situation- need reasonable opinions.
I am the darker half of an interracial relationship. We have been together on and off for almost 2 years. He says he loves me, but is torn as his family refuses to support him as far as our relationship goes. So it's basically me or them. I don't ever want to make someone choose, and feel that in the future it would be a bone of contention between us if things ever turned bad. I love him, but ultimately may have to walk away...what's a girl to do. I want him to make a decision, I don't want to force him to do anything. But i can't wait forever.

Screw it, woman. It's a no win decision. Walk away and don't look back.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Just tell him: Either me or them. However most men do not react very well when pressured to choose.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Default Relationship Opinion

So sorry you are having this conflict within your relationship. Families should want their kids, brothers, sisters to be happy and if you being with your boyfriend makes him happy and you happy then this family needs to back off. I find that at times, families think they know what is best for their grown children and it always irritates me. They can be too opinionated and in the long run the child in question ends up giving up something he truly wanted and being miserable afterwards.

You are in a tough spot and probably should have a very serious conversation with your partner about how you are feeling and see where he is with all this. Remember when you talk with him that he is feeling intense pressure from his family while at the same time loving you so he is going to be difficult to approach...go easy. Don't threaten to leave if he does not choose you...try to figure out a way to work this out if you do truly love him. If after talking with him he chooses to leave, then he has either given into the family pressure or he truly hasn't loved you like he claims to. Love does not see color.

Good luck with this and I hope it does work out for you.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I would say keep it the way it is and enjoy all the pleasures you can with him, and if you find something better along the way, leave him.
I know my opinion not very moral nor confrontational but I'm a hedonist who miss the seventies where people were more cool in their relaionships and didn't feel the need to ride all the time the moral high ground....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships