Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 981 times

Advertisements

I would say it was much easier finding a good woman to date and settle down with to have a family unlike today it is very hard. Most women of the 50's and 60's were certainly much easier to meet, and today it is very hard for many of us men just looking to date since many women are so very high maintenance, selfish, and very spoiled. Definitely i was born in the wrong era, and i wish that i could've been born at a much earlier time just like our family members that had it much easier for them finding love.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
My great grandmother is 85 and she said she is so happy that she isn't young and in the dating game now. I can see what she's talking about. A lot of people don't want to talk to others and don't want to be bothered. That's probably why dating is harder. People are very guarded and closed off.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:02 PM

290 posts, read 214,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChangeInWomenOverTime View Post
I would say it was much easier finding a good woman to date and settle down with to have a family unlike today it is very hard. Most women of the 50's and 60's were certainly much easier to meet, and today it is very hard for many of us men just looking to date since many women are so very high maintenance, selfish, and very spoiled. Definitely i was born in the wrong era, and i wish that i could've been born at a much earlier time just like our family members that had it much easier for them finding love.
Couldn't agree more.

We've progressed alot as a society...but dating itself has taken a major stepback for sure. Social media to me is by far the main cause of this.

Then alot of kids's parents wonder why they arent dating or so..

Old 10-16-2015, 05:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
It likely was, but who cares? That era is not coming back.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:19 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
I think that dating probably has become harder for most (it hasn't for me, but then again, I am dating like I always have, since the 80s and the ones I am dating are my age and dating the same too. Maybe I'd notice a difference if I dated a generation younger than me, but I don't. Of course, I am in a relationship now so I am not really dating around anymore, just dating one person/we are committed).

I think dating is harder today because of the thing that makes it most appealing: more options. It complicates things and makes them less straight forward. You have not just the very acceptable interracial dating, but also poly couples, gay couples, and even among hetero couples different levels of expectations from committed relationship to FWB to FBs, etc. Some people want to marry, some never want to marry, some want to marry several wives or husbands, some want kids with marriage, some want kids with no marriage, some want to be DINKs.... I could go on and on with all the options. And that's all just the very tip of the iceberg.

Dating may have been easier 70 years ago, but there were also very limited options. You dated someone of your race and often religion, from you immediate area, and you settled down and got married in your early 20s and had 2.5 kids. If you didn't, something was wrong with you. Period.

I think to those who want to marry, have kids, and want the "classic" American marriage and relationship, yes, by far the 50s were a golden age. Mainly because society forced it on everyone. For anyone else, it was hell because there was no freedom really.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Its much easier to find people now. Also people are smarter about relationships as there is so much information & support online. Earlier you had to rely a lot on friends & family for connecting with others & their advice about dating but now you can find your partner on your own & make relationship decisions independently. Standards have increased as well for the same reason. You have easy access to a lot of information that everyone is using it to look & act better that results in more competition.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:25 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChangeInWomenOverTime View Post
Most women of the 50's and 60's were certainly much easier to meet
And you know this, how?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:28 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It likely was, but who cares? That era is not coming back.
We can't bring back the past, but assuredly we can learn from it. We can assess what's changed and what's invariant, and possibly reintroduce obsolete or forgotten ideas.

It's not enough to say that the past was a simpler time, or more traditional, or accorded fewer options. these things are all true. Today we have electronics and communication that was unimaginable in the 50s. Today we have more distractions. All true enough. And yet I think that some of the 1950s lessons can be reapplied today, resurrected from obscurity, dusted off and tried again.

Sometimes I daydream that our modern time is temporary and evanescent, a dreadful experiment that's going to eventually fail. Actually, I'd not select the 1950s as my idealized time. I'd knock off another century or two, But that's an even bigger stretch, more tenuous and obscure, and harder from which to draw lessons applicable today. But didn't I call it a daydream?

By the way, this thread is itself six and a half years old. If started by a college student, said student is now approaching 30; if by a person in midlife crisis, now slouching towards retirement. Six and a half years ago, we were mired in the worst depression since 1929, and markets were expecting unrelenting collapse. It didn't happen. Somehow we muddled through. Perhaps in coming years, we'll find solutions to our dating-woes, as we've done to our economy?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:43 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
We can't bring back the past, but assuredly we can learn from it. We can assess what's changed and what's invariant, and possibly reintroduce obsolete or forgotten ideas.

It's not enough to say that the past was a simpler time, or more traditional, or accorded fewer options. these things are all true. Today we have electronics and communication that was unimaginable in the 50s. Today we have more distractions. All true enough. And yet I think that some of the 1950s lessons can be reapplied today, resurrected from obscurity, dusted off and tried again.

Sometimes I daydream that our modern time is temporary and evanescent, a dreadful experiment that's going to eventually fail. Actually, I'd not select the 1950s as my idealized time. I'd knock off another century or two, But that's an even bigger stretch, more tenuous and obscure, and harder from which to draw lessons applicable today. But didn't I call it a daydream?

By the way, this thread is itself six and a half years old. If started by a college student, said student is now approaching 30; if by a person in midlife crisis, now slouching towards retirement. Six and a half years ago, we were mired in the worst depression since 1929, and markets were expecting unrelenting collapse. It didn't happen. Somehow we muddled through. Perhaps in coming years, we'll find solutions to our dating-woes, as we've done to our economy?
Are we in a dating depression??

But more like a social depression perhaps.

I honest;y don't know whether or not dating was easier in the 50s than the 80s, because I wasn't alive then. I do hear about how people were so much more social in the 50s than now.

But then again, there was also "other" issues that I would have to face in those times if I was born in those days. Certain people actually had it very tough in the 50s.

But if I had to choose based on my experiences, I'd take off 20-30 years and take it back to the 90s...

...but we have now. We may not bring those eras back, but we might be able to influence society and take it to a new and possibly better era.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:37 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Only age 15 in 1959. The best years were 1960s-early 1980s. I guess those years were synonymous with the free love era. People were more receptive. Oh Lord you should have seen the office parties. Beginning with the mid-80s with the AIDS awareness, and more significantly, political correctness, people became more up tight with sexual harassment and afraid to make moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships