Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:07 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
When pining for the 1950s, or for an even earlier time, assuredly we're not enthused about an era before telephones or birth-control or private ownership of motor-vehicles or civil rights.
Wait...

...the 50s WERE a time before Civil Rights.

So yes, some here definitely are pining for a time before Civil Rights.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,208,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Leave enough room for the holy ghost!

My mom's friends' (parochial school) teachers actually said that. And paced among the dancing couples to physically put a hand between them to show how much space they had to leave.

Hot times!
My grandma used to tell me how couples would have to keep a balloon between them while they danced, lol.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My grandma used to tell me how couples would have to keep a balloon between them while they danced, lol.
Oh my God!! Oh dear goodness, LOLOLOL....

Getting a visual here.

Oh boy. The good ol' days.

Of course, depending upon WHERE they were required to keep the balloon between them, things might eventually get interesting.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:56 PM

15 posts, read 10,477 times
It sure lookalike a ****ton better in the 50s. Damn, that was a beautiful time. From the dress, to the vehicles (sigh) to the homes... That is what MY Heaven will look like should I arrive. Turquoise and white, Peach and black, and.. a 1952 mint green.and white Olds Holiday in the driveway

Aye, I will take the 50s eh.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:52 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,616,037 times
I think things are very superficial nowadays with the internet and all. Multiple choices for women looking for the man that doesn't exist promulgated by some Notebook fantasy. Let's watch a Hallmark series or two to see this man in action. I could practically write the script myself.

Back in the 50s they didn't have the internet so they met more in person. I think things probably were better back then in that sense. People were opportunistic and took what they got lol.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,395,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I think things are very superficial nowadays with the internet and all. Multiple choices for women looking for the man that doesn't exist promulgated by some Notebook fantasy. Let's watch a Hallmark series or two to see this man in action. I could practically write the script myself.

Back in the 50s they didn't have the internet so they met more in person. I think things probably were better back then in that sense. People were opportunistic and took what they got lol.
That's the one thing I think (or have heard rather since I wasn't alive then) was A LOT better in those days.

Nowadays, we have TOO MANY choices with the internet, social media, dating websites, dating apps, etc. People may not settle down because they may think someone better is around the corner.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,054,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Poor Akonyo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Don't feel sorry for him!

Even though sadly, white supremacy is frowned upon today and domination of (unwilling/trapped) females is largely underground now, he gets ALL the sex he wants and his house is nice and clean.
Yes I am able to get all of the sex that I want and my house is routinely clean.

It would still be better if women did it.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Yes I am able to get all of the sex that I want and my house is routinely clean.

It would still be better if women did it.
Huh?

Are you saying it isn't women who do the cleaning for you?

Or it isn't women who have sex with you?

Maybe you can get your housecleaning dude to wear a skirt so you can imagine it's some chick cleaning your place. As for suggestions on that second part, well...dude, you're on your own there, am backing away from that one. But GL, anyway. Hope it all works out.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:26 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Real fun & games (sarcasm). And some of you guys thought it was easier back then?
Not really. But I have heard well-informed and well-meaning people say that it was easier for people of average looks and average ability to find someone. Today, both men and women seem to have standards so high that I'm amazed anyone finds a mate.

And the latest trend, to stay home and surf for dates on the Internet, seems counterproductive, even if the ability of computers to sort large databases makes it easier to find someone with a lot of common interests. Sometimes you just have to get out of the house and meet people face to face.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:44 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,222,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
If a woman is not having babies, cooking, or cleaning, then what do I need her for? I'm able to get sex fairly easily and I have tons of friends and am close to my family (so I don't need companionship). I also don't care about appearing successful in this regard (never post on Facebook, don't brag to my friends about these kinds of things, etc).
You sound exceedingly happy with your life! Not at all bitter. Any woman would be lucky to have you. What with the cooking, cleaning & popping out a baby every now & then, it sure sounds like a dream. And to be denied companionship as well, OMG, where do I sign up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.