Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
Wow some of you are way off on the personality traits attached to a flashy sports car. I grew up a gear head. All the men in my family were muscle car nuts. We were rebuilding engines and painting cars all the time. I have had a deep love for driving performance vehicles since I could start a car. I now drive an Infiniti G37 2 door Coupe Journey. It is a luxury vehicle but is built on the same platform as the Nissan 370Z. I have put a ton of money into under the hood mods, tires, exhaust, spoiler. It is flashy as hell faster than the Porsche Cayman and including mods 40k less. So yes I did go flashy and sporty but I picked an economical version.

Yeah...I grew up on dirtbikes and fourwheelers. Raced em, rode trails...I just loved the speed and adrenaline. My 2nd car was a Z28. The only mod I put on was borla exhaust. Wasnt trying to make up for anything...just loved the car.

I know drive a 1999 Land Rover Discovery. Not fast at all...not raised or anything (ironically it also has borla exhaust thought). But I love it. Its got 180,000+ miles on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 03:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I only read but a few posts here before I got bored with all the psychobabble. Around here (where I live) if someone drives a Ferrari, they aren't driving it to be showy - they can genuinely afford it, and chances are - they have a whole stable of Ferraris, Lambos, etc.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So what you're really telling us is that you're a major league control freak. I mean, that's totally cool and I respect that. Just don't ride in my Honda Odyssey.
I'm not a control freak. I just like my boyfriends to share most of my common interests. And while Americans that prefer manual transmission cars are in the minority, they aren't all that rare. As to other driving habits, I think it only commonsense to prefer a driver of a car I'm riding in to not be distracted by his cell phone or his breakfast sandwich.

Am I a control freak for refusing to date a cigarette smoker? Or what if I don't want to date a guy who wears low slung baggie ghetto gear? If I'm going to date someone that I hope to get serious about and live together with, it would be a plus if I liked his tastes in cars as at some point we'll end up sharing them.

My mom has a first gen Honda Odyssey, thanks to my love of Hondas. Everyone in my family knows how to drive stick. One of my dad's favorite cars was a '91 Camry V6 DX sedan that he waited several weeks to get the manual transmission version of it. My 4 cylinder Civic was peppier than his car though because it was lighter.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I miss driving a stick! Ever since I sold my last sports car a few years ago, I've only had cars with automatic transmissions. I would just once in a while like to get back into a car with a stick and a clutch!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 PM

200 posts, read 1,066,889 times
I'm the 2006 NE divisional champ (SCCA Solo2 SuperstreetMod). normally 2nd to 3rd place in National Tours (NE regionals) and I drive a 2 seater Chevy A/T (an Astrovan with stripped interior) to go to work. I let my SO drive the BMWs (330ci and x5). Girls are not allowed in my other cars without a helmet. definitely no screaming allowed.
All sports cars and sporty-ness are ghey if not driven on a closed course.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,342 times
Forget the clutch the car I drive has a transmission similar to the Ferrari. No clutch manual. I still tell it when to shift but can shift faster than any clutch can be pressed.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
I'm the 2006 NE divisional champ (SCCA Solo2 SuperstreetMod). normally 2nd to 3rd place in National Tours (NE regionals) and I drive a 2 seater Chevy A/T (an Astrovan with stripped interior) to go to work. I let my SO drive the BMWs (330ci and x5). Girls are not allowed in my other cars without a helmet. definitely no screaming allowed.

I have a track not far from where I live. I enjoy running on the closed track but also get a thrill out of open road driving. There are plenty o peeps with wanna be sports cars that I love to eat for lunch.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM

200 posts, read 1,066,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
I have a track not far from where I live. I enjoy running on the closed track but also get a thrill out of open road driving. There are plenty o peeps with wanna be sports cars that I love to eat for lunch.
I'm in Texas. which route are you taking today? 5:30PM sounds ok to you? (j/k)

Old 04-14-2009, 04:29 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
My boyfriend and I both autocross. He's done many track events. Eventually I'll check one out. I just don't feel like driving all the way to the Poconos for one. I want to try rallycross too. I'm not interested in going to the drag strip.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I only read but a few posts here before I got bored with all the psychobabble. Around here (where I live) if someone drives a Ferrari, they aren't driving it to be showy - they can genuinely afford it, and chances are - they have a whole stable of Ferraris, Lambos, etc.

I think that holds true anywhere. If someone has a Maybach, RR, Aston Martin, Bentley, Mercedes SLR, Ferrari or Lambo...they've got some cash in the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships