Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Here is my advise to you...

Get her help and break up with her.

She will be a complete headache until she is fixed with professional help.
Since a couple others have agreed with this, I must cast a dissenting vote. In addition to the two victims to whom I've been married, I've been in a long term romantic relationship with another and in a long, close friendship with a fourth. They've all been among the finest women I've known, even with their demons. They learned to handle it well, and I think that strength is what attracted me to each.

Others don't do so well. My late wife interviewed several victims for her proposed book, and most of them had alcohol and/or drug dependencies, sexual conduct problems (either frigidity or promiscuity), relationship problems, self control and/or self esteem problems, etc., etc.

Indeed there can be long-suffering problems, but to break up with someone because they've been abused? Absolutely not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 74,635 times
That is the thing. All of the people that she was with up to me treated her horribly. And I didn't. I accepted her exactly how she was and expected nothing more from her than for her to be who she was. And it seems like that threw her off. And she ended projected all of these things on me that weren't true. She kept saying I was pushing her away when in hindsight, she was pushing me away. It was like suddenly she got scared that she met someone that she could trust. And instead of accepting it for what it was, she rejected it. Like she felt that she didn't deserve it or something.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
She doesn't want to be with anyone. She also carries a lot of pain with her, as well as control freak issues. Let's put it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterbutter View Post
That is the thing. All of the people that she was with up to me treated her horribly. And I didn't. I accepted her exactly how she was and expected nothing more from her than for her to be who she was. And it seems like that threw her off. And she ended projected all of these things on me that weren't true. She kept saying I was pushing her away when in hindsight, she was pushing me away. It was like suddenly she got scared that she met someone that she could trust. And instead of accepting it for what it was, she rejected it. Like she felt that she didn't deserve it or something.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
... I've been treated very poorly by young adult women my whole life, that I suspect had some abuse issues with men, and I find it very hard to understand them, apparently they pick on you and harass the crud out of you when they "like" you. Ugh right.
You suspect they had some abuse issues? You don't even know, yet you....

Good grief, Artsy! Get your facts before you analyze.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Do you have any other better explanations?

When confronted the women said they had no issues with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You suspect they had some abuse issues? You don't even know, yet you....

Good grief, Artsy! Get your facts before you analyze.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
That's the low self-esteem issue. It's common with victims of abuse -- sexual, physical, verbal, mental....

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 74,635 times
I wouldn't say she has control freak issues, but she is kind of self-assertive. During our whole relationship she kept telling me that I had to stand for myself about this and about that. But now it seems like she is really the one that never stood up for herself. She would break up with me and then two weeks later she would come back as if nothing ever happened and it would be the same way it was before. The she would do it again like out of the blue. It's almost like she was trying to use me to relive some event as if she was trying to put something to rest by making me into the person who wronged her in the first place.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM

You disagree, then agree with me by saying that she made you into the person that wronged her. That is control freak stuff right there buddy.

In normal healthy mature relationships you don't have to put up with too much of that garbage at all. That is like psychological torment....you do not have to experience that.

Quote:
I wouldn't say she has control freak issues, but she is kind of self-assertive. During our whole relationship she kept telling me that I had to stand for myself about this and about that. But now it seems like she is really the one that never stood up for herself. She would break up with me and then two weeks later she would come back as if nothing ever happened and it would be the same way it was before. The she would do it again like out of the blue. It's almost like she was trying to use me to relive some event as if she was trying to put something to rest by making me into the person who wronged her in the first place.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do you have any other better explanations?

When confronted the women said they had no issues with me.
No, I wouldn't venture a guess, but to blame it on sexual abuse because you can't explain it? No.

In my experience, victims of childhood sexual abuse tend to be more understanding. I'm sure it can go the other way as well. Different people often react differently to the same stimuli.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Alright, I can blame it on a personality flaw or discrimination then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
No, I wouldn't venture a guess, but to blame it on sexual abuse because you can't explain it? No.

In my experience, victims of childhood sexual abuse tend to be more understanding. I'm sure it can go the other way as well. Different people often react differently to the same stimuli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships