Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,177 times

Advertisements

My ex recently emailed me saying he misses me, misses talking to me and that I will always have a unique and special place in his heart. Why do that? I think he's just trying to make himself feel better. He met someone else around the time of our breakup (so he claims). I replied to say I'm glad he's doing well and that we should give each other space. In any case, he should be completely faithful to the one he chose, and that I'm doing really well. Did I sound bitter? If it helps, I really meant it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 AM

49 posts, read 200,348 times
How long have you two been broken up? Sometimes someone will linger positively in your mind, especially if it was an amicable breakup. I feel a little sadness when I see something that reminds me of a girl I once dated, but its not necessarily a bad feeling. More like nostalgia.

I doubt he meant anything "concrete" by it. Sometimes there's no agenda behind it and it's sincere. Nice what you wrote back, by the way.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 AM

323 posts, read 788,043 times
I don't think that you sounded bitter.. I think that you sounded like you weren't ready to be "buddies" with him yet which is perfectly acceptable.. Hopefully he respects that. I think that if he keeps contacting you, he's either going to try to complicate things.. or he wants to string you along. BEWARE!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 AM

390 posts, read 904,868 times
If indeed that is exactly what you said, I don't think that you sounded bitter at all. I think it was a mature, sincere and to the point reponse.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
I am pretty sure I have a 'special place' in my ex's heart also. I hope in that place I'd give her a coronary.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:12 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
When my ex said " You will always be a special person in my heart", I thought " What the hell does that even matter? Is that supposed to make me feel better somehow? Well it doesn't." If he knows I meant cr*ap to him, then don't say stupid **** like I'm some kind of idiot who will always remember him as the guy who " has a special place in his heart for me".

He probably just wants me to tell my friends he was a great guy even though he couldn't get his lies straight. Probably hoping to date one of them or something. Or maybe he wants to run for mayor. WTF.

(*DISGUSTED*)

Old 04-16-2009, 04:30 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
And the reason you responded was why? I would have read the message and quietly deleted it..

Old 04-16-2009, 04:40 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
And the reason you responded was why? I would have read the message and quietly deleted it..
If it would of been me, I would of sent the e-mail to his new girlfriend. What a creep.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
I agree with Temptation (sorry, kid, can't rep you again). This is just one of those totally meaningless things people love to say after a break-up in order to feel magnanimous. (And that's assuming the best about the person who says it. There are always those narcissists who like to bait their exes with crap like this and watch them go into a meltdown; sometimes they even invite their new squeeze to watch.) "Unique and special place"? Yah, just not unique or special enough to still have a relationship. No one is obligated to carry on a relationship in which he is not happy, but saying disingenuous things like this makes you a douche. Have a clean and honest break-up, and don't say stupid things that are so clearly belied by your conduct.

The way to handle such a situation is either not to respond at all, or to send a friendly but cool reply containing an unmistakable p***-off hint. The OP, I believe, did it just the right way.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Curiousity. Testing the waters. Delete it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships