Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 AM

292 posts, read 634,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I am of the opinion that they should just do away with the institution of marriage. I am married and I really don't see a point of having this label (or not having this label). It changes nothing. Maybe people are starting to see it for what it is.
Couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,990,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is about people who never wanted to get married and never do get married. Ever. Usually because they love their freedom and prefer to live life on their own terms. You can date, have great short term or long term or lifetime relationships - it's just that they do not want marriage. As much as society tries to apply negativity to that choice, more people are making it. Certainly true love of all kinds can exist outside of the bounds of the big M.
And what about people who remain single-as in never having a bf or gf-do they live life in their own terms? I am talking about people who never date even if they had the opportunity. People who choose to remain distant on other people. What do you say about those people?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,788,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
And what about people who remain single-as in never having a bf or gf-do they live life in their own terms? I am talking about people who never date even if they had the opportunity. People who choose to remain distant on other people. What do you say about those people?
I think these people are different, then the average person. The never married or married once and won't do it again person.

I saw a guy on "Taboo" once. He said, women didn't find him attractive. He lives with a life size doll. The doll is his wife.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM

610 posts, read 1,293,409 times
I don't see why a marriage is that much more than a steady BF-GF relationship, I don't see any real function with the actual marriage, but for some reason I think it'd be hot to have a wife, can't explain why.

If people want to get married, how joyfull for them, people who don't have no reason to.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,561,532 times
This thread reminds me of a joke:

A woman comes home to find her husband in tears. She asks him, "Why are you crying?"

He answers, "Remember when your daddy caught us in the hayloft, and he told me that if I didn't marry you, he'd have me sent to jail for 20 years?"

She replies, "Oh, yes, who knew we would have lasted this long. I'm so glad we got married. That's why you were crying?"

He says, "Yeah. I was just thinking--I would have got out today."

Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,206,511 times
I will take a chunk of what I said in another thread to contribute to this one...

I am not single, but I don’t think I’ll ever get married for a number of reasons.

The idea of being bound to someone legally freaks me out.
I don’t see how being married to my bf would enrich our lives.
Wedding receptions bore me.
I'd rather spend the money on a good holiday.
I hate the wedding ceremony - its so outdated. Watching a woman being 'given away' from her Dad to her husband appalls me.
I don't want to get divorced. If me and my partner split we haven't got to go through a load of legal crap. Splitting up is hard enough without that on top.

I once read or heard somewhere "If marriage didn't exist would you create it?" Basically why would you look at your love and passion for each other and say "Hey, you know what we're missing? Let's get the government and some lawyers in on this!"

Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM

292 posts, read 634,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I will take a chunk of what I said in another thread to contribute to this one...

I am not single, but I don’t think I’ll ever get married for a number of reasons.

I hate the wedding ceremony - its so outdated. Watching a woman being 'given away' from her Dad to her husband appalls me.
I don't want to get divorced. If me and my partner split we haven't got to go through a load of legal crap. Splitting up is hard enough without that on top.

I once read or heard somewhere "If marriage didn't exist would you create it?" Basically why would you look at your love and passion for each other and say "Hey, you know what we're missing? Let's get the government and some lawyers in on this!"
Great, practical and simple way of looking at it. I am seeing more and more people adopt this approach. But how will divorce lawyers make money then?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,369,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What do you think about people who never get married, by choice? Stats show this is an increasing trend. I don't know many people who actually remain single forever but apprently there are plenty of them out there. I say live and let live but in reality a lot of people are hostile toward this choice and view it as an assault on marriage or convince themselves the single person must be defective.
I wAs married. It was a lot of work and ended up very saddly ( he screwed up, I filed for divorce, he hated me And made the divorce super awful). So I don't want divorce #2.... if that makes me defective oh well

Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,015,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post

The business of getting married is only as complicated, expensive and gross as you choose to make it.

25 years ago, Spouse and I decided to marry. I told him "courthouse/nothing foofy-poofy/grab a couple of friends as witnesses." He specified a church wedding to keep his mother from squawking, I countered with "OK, but no one but us, the preacher, and a couple of witnesses." He negotiated his brother and sister-in-law as witnesses so that it would be a "family" thing. I mulled that over and said "OK, whatever."

Ask most couples who have achieved a long term, successful marriage about being "legally bound together" and you'll likely get a "you gotta be kidding. such nonsense" *eyeroll* and smile from them. However, the "legal binding" comes in handy in respect to making sure that there is the one person who has the "legal" right to make decisions for you if you become incapacitated. Some would say that other legal documents accomplish the same thing, but the words "I'm the husband/wife" are instant magic in some situations. My mate had a stroke a few years back. He was rushed to the hospital with me by his side. All I had to do was say "I'm his wife" and *poof* - instant cooperation and notification from all the medical staff. No having to carry papers with proof of that, or telling the staff that such documents are on file. In a non-legally bound situation, it might well have ended up with them asking "well, who's the next of kin?" and me being shunted aside by people living 750 miles away.

I think people get too paranoid about marriage, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. Do it or don't, but it's not an evil institution unless the couple set up so many parameters and fears that make it so

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,602,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
The business of getting married is only as complicated, expensive and gross as you choose to make it.

25 years ago, Spouse and I decided to marry. I told him "courthouse/nothing foofy-poofy/grab a couple of friends as witnesses." He specified a church wedding to keep his mother from squawking, I countered with "OK, but no one but us, the preacher, and a couple of witnesses." He negotiated his brother and sister-in-law as witnesses so that it would be a "family" thing. I mulled that over and said "OK, whatever."

Ask most couples who have achieved a long term, successful marriage about being "legally bound together" and you'll likely get a "you gotta be kidding. such nonsense" *eyeroll* and smile from them. However, the "legal binding" comes in handy in respect to making sure that there is the one person who has the "legal" right to make decisions for you if you become incapacitated. Some would say that other legal documents accomplish the same thing, but the words "I'm the husband/wife" are instant magic in some situations. My mate had a stroke a few years back. He was rushed to the hospital with me by his side. All I had to do was say "I'm his wife" and *poof* - instant cooperation and notification from all the medical staff. No having to carry papers with proof of that, or telling the staff that such documents are on file. In a non-legally bound situation, it might well have ended up with them asking "well, who's the next of kin?" and me being shunted aside by people living 750 miles away.

I think people get too paranoid about marriage, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. Do it or don't, but it's not an evil institution unless the couple set up so many parameters and fears that make it so
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships