Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming All the Way View Post
Let me think. When you have you own place, you can do whatever you want. Go out with friends without letting your parents know, shop whenever you want, play games, sleep whenever you want, and party when ever you want. You don't have to worry about family bothering you every time you're doing something.
I didn't know you were going here...I was thinking about living alone as far as not having a partner, and a lot of the same things are true. But it's also nice to have a helpmate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Congratulations on your grown up attitude about moving out on your own. The OP was all about the partying aspect of living on your own...sleeping in, etc. The reality is that before you do move on your own, you should think about the $$ involved to actually keep a nice place for yourself and the partying aspect comes in once you have got yourself firmly entrenched in your own place. If you are this aware of the responsibility of it all then yoy will be fine with being able to maintain your own place...welcome to the real world and I wish you the best. Relax, and enjoy your new found freedom!!
Lol, when it comes, of course...I fear if I can't find a job I'll be imprisoned here...Anyway, I like being on my own in general, and being in control of everything, but of course I understand the downsides to that and the reality. I still think it's worth it though!

Old 04-19-2009, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Unless you own your home you can't do what you want. When you rent you're subject to the landlord's rules and regulations according to the contract you sign. Party all night sleep all day? Not when in an apartment and others are trying to sleep. You try that and the police can be called to shut down your party or arrest you for disturbing the peace and any other charges they can find. Before leaving home to live on your own you should at least start to do your own laundry, fold your own clothes or put them on hangers, change your own sheets and wash them, cook your own food, wash your own dishes, vacuum your own carpet, and mop your own floor. Do that on a regular basis and you're ready to head out on your own. I've come across a lot of young people who move out on their own who go to college but can't figure out how to do laundry. I had to teach them how to use the machines at the laundry near the campus. Some don't seem to know how to use a razor or clippers. If you can't grow a full beard then shave or at least use clippers to even things out. Some look like they don't know how to use shampoo or soap. You're an adult now. Start acting like one at least half your waking hours. If your focus is on your video games then you're not going to last on your own.
I've already done those. If I own a home, it will always be clean. I don't have to worry about people living with me, and they'll buy random junk and scatter it all over the house.

I may be unemployed, but I already found something that interests me. The internet's my hero!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:06 PM

900 posts, read 1,701,674 times
not cleaning up after someone else. Decorating things the way you want.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
As a college student whose been away from home for almost 4 yrs, here are some pros & cons that I've found:
PROS:
-independence (no need to answer to parents about where you are, what you're doing, who you're with, etc.)
-self-motivation
-eating whatever you want
-coming in @ all hours of the night after a weekend of partying in another nearby city
-having guys over despite your parents' wishes
-not being questioned about your antics & whether or not they are allowed under said parent's roof

CONS
-dependence (for college students, most of us are broke & thus need $$ whenever necessary)
-living check to check (no real savings opportunity especially when living w/ roommates, cooking for yourself, shopping for groceries/other needs-with financial management comes planning & responsibility)
-if you live alone, it can get lonely...w/o friends/roommates or family/pets

I have grown pretty self-independent but I like this post because it makes me re-evaluate things & what's important/not important when it comes to living alone vs. w/ your parents.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM

23 posts, read 46,041 times
Great about living on your own?

I just recently done this myself, though I've come from a household in which we were responsible for our own bills, food, etc and we didn't really have to answer to each other though we were all family.

* Taking responsibility and learning about something called "accountability". Being on your own its kinda important.
* No nagging from anyone. I'm single so no gf/wife nagging.
* In my case, I live one block from work. I can walk to work in 3 minutes.

And the big one... As mentioned.

INDEPENDENCE

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I always use a straw.
Ewwwwwwww! Bad kitty!!! I'm having a vision of someone drinking from the toilet with a straw now. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:39 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming All the Way View Post
Let me think. When you have you own place, you can do whatever you want. Go out with friends without letting your parents know, shop whenever you want, play games, sleep whenever you want, and party when ever you want. You don't have to worry about family bothering you every time you're doing something.
Sounds like you've got a pretty restrictive family there, or maybe you're still in high school. There's certainly plenty of advantages to living on your own, and I'll be moving out probably within the next six months (gotta save up some cash first). But right now I live with my mom - and, given, it's just me and her - but I come and go as I please and I do not need to tell her where I am at all times. If I'm out late, typically she doesn't even notice when I get back, and if she does, she doesn't care. Much of the time she isn't even home. I'm 24 years old, out of school, with my own money, a serious job, a car, and my own life - if I want to go out on a weekend and party, that's my right. My mom cares about me, we talk sometimes, and I help her out where I can. But we're both adults, and she understands that.

Love life is a bit more difficult - I've had girls over, and the way my house is set-up, I can do it without running into her. But I gotta wait until she's upstairs and in bed. So that's an annoyance, yes. Nevertheless, living on your own isn't all fun and games, and you gotta make sure you can afford it. In the meantime - assuming you're not a kid - maybe you should have talk with your family about setting some boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships