Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:21 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,620 times

Advertisements

Experienced some great karma today and thought I would share.

My Friday morning started out like one of those mornings where nothing goes right. I'm taking care of my sister's dog while she's in Vegas and was running late for work. (Dog seems to know that the quicker she poops on her morning walk, the quicker I'm off to work and she's left for the day, so she takes her sweet time.) Finally, twenty minutes later, started driving for work and, after one block, the low fuel warning signal went off. Drove halfway to work and stopped at gas station, popped gas cap, then looked at passenger seat and realized I'd taken off without my purse. Couldn't call work to let them know I was late because cellphone was in purse. Drove twenty minutes back home and ran into school traffic (live near HS, middle school, and elem. school) so now it was 8:35 and was supposed to be at courthouse by 8:00. Called in late, stopped to get gas, and then decided to go to a Starbuck's by the gas station. (Figured since I was already late, might as well as get something to drink to take with me.)

Waited for the guy at the register to tell me what I owed, but he said, "Oh, it's no charge." Asked him why and he said "Cheryl paid for it." Asked who Cheryl was and he told me that a couple people ahead of me, someone named Cheryl came in and gave them one hundred dollars and told them to buy everyone's drink after her until the money was gone. I asked if she was still there so I could thank her, but she had left.

When this happened, my bad mood completely changed due to the unexpected surprise of someone else's generosity. While waiting for my drink to be made, I watched the other customers come up to order, one by one, and saw the expressions and smiles that crossed their faces when they were told "this one was on Cheryl." I don't know who Cheryl is, but she made a lot of people's day, including mine. It doesn't seem like it should be a big deal to get a free cup of coffee, but it turned my day around and made me think of what I could do for someone else that day. Definitely will be paying it forward. Already have a plan to anonymously help a friend out who's having some financial difficulty.

Anyone else had something like this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 04:31 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default Paying it Forward

What an awesome story. See, there are some really nice people out there, huh? I too have had days like yours. One time, I too was running late for work. I worked 15 miles away from home and it was a drive over country roads for the most part. I gather up all my stuff to finally get out of my first floor apartment and head off for work. Locking the door behind me, I feel panic setting in....OMG...I think, I have just forgotten my car keys and have locked the door. (The key word here is "keys" keep that in mind). So....I have always been short and stocky so now, in order to get back into the house, I have to climb through the window (???) After all, I have LOCKED THE DOOR! So, I get an outside plastic lawn chair, climb up on it, open one of the sunporch windows and crawl through to get my KEYS which are IN MY DANG HAND!!! Oh, in case inquiring minds want to know...,yes, the car keys were on the same key ring that was in my hand and NO I didn't have to crawl through the window!! Feeling stupid, I head out for work....it gets better.

I get to work and back in the early 90's we still had to dress up for work and being a Senior Admin. Assistant, I had to wear heels, etc. I am sitting at my desk and realize I have on one BLACK heel and one NAVY BLUE heel....two different shoes!!! I didn't go back home to change but made sure EVERYONE knew how peculiar my day had been up to that point....I am sure I must have made everyone in the office laugh that day and feel that perhaps helped someone like you who was having a horrid day feel better about themselves!! SHTZ happens....we just have to know when to laugh at ourselves then share our "misfortune" hoping it cheers someone else up.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
That is a great story. I love the Pay it Forward concept. I wish it happened more often. The world would be a better place for sure.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Really great story - thanks for sharing. I like the pay it forward concept. I also like the
random acts of kindness concept.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
What a great story! Stuff like that is always nice to hear. When I use parking meters, I usually drop some coins in when I go to give the next person some free parking, and it's happened a few times that I pulled into a space to find an hour or more on the meter. It's just a buck or so, but isn't that a nice feeling? I hardly ever need parking meters anymore, and I rarely use the toll roads around here, but the next time I do, maybe I can ask the attendant to keep the change and pay for the next couple cars after me.

It sure puts a happy tone on the whole day, doesn't it?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Never happened to me but where is this Starbucks. There might be some money left for me to get a white choclate mocca.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Never happened to me but where is this Starbucks. There might be some money left for me to get a white choclate mocca.
Well, Mr. Cat, you'll have to fly out to Huntington Beach aka Surf City, CA. But don't worry, Twinkle Toes should be close enough to visit.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I have never had it happen to me but I am quick to do something and tell them to pay it forwards rather than pay me back or thank me. I LOVE seeing their faces when I do that.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:20 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
(Sorry, this turned out to be kind of long.)

I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but I've often thought about doing something like this for others (paying their way), but how do you know the cashier or whatever doesn't pocket the money and still make the customers pay? Suspicious mind. Loved this story, though. Maybe I'll take a chance and do it anyway.

One time I was getting gas and locked my purse in my car. Felt like an idiot. Not only was it embarrassing, but I didn't want to be stuck there blocking other people who were trying to get gas. And, of course, I had a ton of errands to do.

So, as I attempted to quell my rising panic and not throw a major hissy, I noticed an auto garage next door. I went over and asked the guy (I think it turned out he was the manager) if he could help. He was very pleasant about it and got it open right away. I tried to pay him, but he wouldn't accept it. So I took note of the business name and address and later sent him a thank-you card and told him he had saved my whole day, and how much I appreciated it and hoped he would someday be repaid by someone doing something nice for him.

Because of him, it turned out to be a great day.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:26 PM

390 posts, read 905,070 times
I have learned in my life that to feel complete or happy with myself I need to help others.
I let ppl go ahead of me in line at the stores all the time if they have fewer items. Especially older ppl. My daughter when she was younger use to say "Mommy, why do we have to let all these ppl go ahead of us all the time?, I want hurry up and get home"
My answer, "Because sweetie, we all need to help eachother, it's the right thing to do". We would go through the same senerio when we go every month to drop our gently used items to the Goodwill. And again when we clean out our cubboards of canned foods and give them to this guy I know who was livng in a cubby hole about 10x10 ft. for two years. I feel sick to know anybody is suffering. I wish all the time that I could do more, but I don't make alot. As long as I am breathing I will help who ever I can when I can.
In the liquor store one time, a lady was buying gas and some stuff, the clerk she was short $2. She said , "Oh, shoot, I don't have anymore money". I leaned foward and handed the clerk $2 for her stuff. They both looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships