Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Recently many of my friends(some old some new) seem to be getting divorces. It seems that the lack of sex appears to be a big issue and a factor in the divorce. Three of four that are open about it say it is because the spouse got really fat and it became a turn off. Two guys and one girl asked me if they thought they were wrong for not wanting to be intimate with someone that heavy. I really didn't have an answer, thoughts?

How big is too big before you lose interest? 20 lb, 40 lb? Doesn't matter? Would you be considered shallow if your Spouse gained 100 lbs and you didn't want to indulge?
My husband and I are both heavier now than when we met 14 years ago. People tend to naturally gain a little weight as they age. The thing is, I guess, that when you love someone physical appearance tends to become less important the longer you are together.

I'm sure that my husband would like for me to be the size 7 I was when we met in 1996. I don't think however, that he loves me any less even though I am about 40 pounds heaver than I was then.

Many women gain weight as a defense mechanism to push their husbands away. Once they get a divorce, they usually manage to get back into shape in record time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My husband and I are both heavier now than when we met 14 years ago. People tend to naturally gain a little weight as they age. The thing is, I guess, that when you love someone physical appearance tends to become less important the longer you are together.

I'm sure that my husband would like for me to be the size 7 I was when we met in 1996. I don't think however, that he loves me any less even though I am about 40 pounds heaver than I was then.
My husband and I have both gained weight since we first met decades ago. We don't love each other any less for it.

Of course, the weight gain actually looks good on him.....Ah, men, you gotta love 'em.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
BRAVO! Beautifully well said.

Fat people are now lobbying for laws to prevent discriminating against them. I guess they don't see that being fat is a choice. When minorities, women, handicapped people, etc. have been discriminated against, they didn't have a choice in the matter. No one chooses to be in a wheelchair, for instance.

Ahh, Brave Ulysses.

Being someone who was once almost 500 lbs, I did not want special treatment, I just wanted to be treated like everyone else.

Discrimination is punishing someone for something they have no control over.
If someone is morbidly obese (aka fat) the problem is not in there mouths, it is in there minds.

You need to realize that

Jonathan

Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Generally speaking, I wouldn't stay with someone who I was no longer physically attracted to.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
I think if your marriage is broken up based on physical attractiveness you aren't mature enough to be married.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I think if your marriage is broken up based on physical attractiveness you aren't mature enough to be married.
I agree.

And there are times when beauty is a lightswitch away too.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
One of the best replies.Ever.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 PM

439 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Recently many of my friends(some old some new) seem to be getting divorces. It seems that the lack of sex appears to be a big issue and a factor in the divorce. Three of four that are open about it say it is because the spouse got really fat and it became a turn off. Two guys and one girl asked me if they thought they were wrong for not wanting to be intimate with someone that heavy. I really didn't have an answer, thoughts?

How big is too big before you lose interest? 20 lb, 40 lb? Doesn't matter? Would you be considered shallow if your Spouse gained 100 lbs and you didn't want to indulge?
It depends. Did you marry the person who was already fat or overweight? People want to stay with the person they fell in love with. If your spouse has bad habits and starts gaining weight right in front of the other spouse there are ways to reverse the situation. I sometimes I'm inclined to believe people make up excuses as opposed to just admit they fell out of love...

Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Maybe this sounds really horrible, but I had a partner that gained 80lbs and I felt suffocated during sex.

It wasn't even a physical attraction thing as much as it was a comfort thing. I could not stand having sex with him. So I can understand how someone who gained a lot of weight would not be someone you'd want to be intimate with and eventually end the relationship.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
People want to stay with the person they fell in love with.
People who want to stay with the person they fell in love with shouldn't get married.

People change, that's basic human nature. The person I married almost 7 years ago is so different from the man I'm married to today, and in another 7 years I'm sure I'll be thinking the same exact thing. If you're truly committed and married to the right person then your love grows (even when you're struggling) while you both grow and change as well.

Right now I wouldn't trade the man I'm married to now for the younger version of himself that I married. His hairline wasn't receding, he was in shape, and he was super sexy but he was also young and immature. Now he's still super sexy (and he always will be, it's no longer just his looks that make him attractive to me) but he's also more mature and smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships