Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why the heck were you in there? I know lesbians and they are very guarded and suspicious when a new guy shows up, however, they do get used to you if you become a regular and show them respect.
No, I just literally wandered in. The place was right down the street from where I lived in North Hollywood at the time, and though the name should have been a clue, in my naivete I just figured it was a happening singles bar. Respect? More like adulation is what I had for them. They weren't out and out mean to me, but there was a lot of as Chow said, glaring going on. I think they thought I was gonna try to hook up with someone and until I knew the score, I'm sure I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I'm surprised you say that LA doesn't like gay folks, then again Hispanics are generally catholic and conservative. Try West Hollywood City in LA county. Ever been there? It's supposed to be a gay paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
Because this was totally necessary. It's pretty pathetic that every time someone brings up a gay issue on this board, some person has to jump in and throw their ideology around all over the place. It's so far off topic that it doesn't make any sense. I really wish the mods would start editing things like this a little more...

ANYWAY...

To respond to the OP, being gay in Orange County, CA is probably one of the worst experiences you can have. There are a handful of clubs (in LA) and bars but you have to deal with intolerant glares for simply daring to hold hands in public (gasp!). We lived up north for awhile and it was so great to be able to talk to people openly about your life and find acceptance wherever you turned. Moved back here for financial/family issues and now are eagerly counting down the days until we are able to move out of here (most likely to Pacific Northwest).

Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM

177 posts, read 757,646 times
Artsyguy, I was referring more to the intolerant glares and such in Orange County. I can see how my post could be misread, though. I should have specified.

LA on the whole is quite a bit better, though where we live in so close to the border of OC that anything in LA takes MUCH longer to get to.

Have been to WeHo many times, but it seems like such a boys town, clubby scene. It's not a great vibe for two younger married ladies not into dancing.

Last edited by ablau; 04-22-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: typos are yucky!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Ha ha I completely understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
Have been to WeHo many times, but it seems like such a boys town, clubby scene. It's not a great vibe for two younger married ladies not into dancing.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Believe it or not, we used to live in WeHo!!! It was a pretty happenin' place.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Tell me about it. I might move there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Believe it or not, we used to live in WeHo!!! It was a pretty happenin' place.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Tell me about it. I might move there!
We lived at the corner of La Cienega and Sunset, but could walk down to Santa Monica Blvd. in a couple of minutes. They had a lot of parades, Halloween is an event, as is the Easter parade where the guys bring their dogs dressed in Easter bonnets. Lot's of gay clubs, lots of music. I always found the guys to be nice, courteous, and accepting of straight folks and kids. We moved because my oldest son was 9 or 10 at the time, and wanted to be out exploring and riding his bike, but it was not a good area for kids to play - too many major boulevards and lots of traffic. Also, I had just given birth to my second son and I didn't trust anyone other than my own parents to babysit for us, so we moved cloer to my parents.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Great to hear that such a place exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We lived at the corner of La Cienega and Sunset, but could walk down to Santa Monica Blvd. in a couple of minutes. They had a lot of parades, Halloween is an event, as is the Easter parade where the guys bring their dogs dressed in Easter bonnets. Lot's of gay clubs, lots of music. I always found the guys to be nice, courteous, and accepting of straight folks and kids. We moved because my oldest son was 9 or 10 at the time, and wanted to be out exploring and riding his bike, but it was not a good area for kids to play - too many major boulevards and lots of traffic. Also, I had just given birth to my second son and I didn't trust anyone other than my own parents to babysit for us, so we moved cloer to my parents.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
You live in detroit, what do you expect?

Also population 80% black, have fun with AIDs/HIV epidemic.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,832 times
Go to Long Beach....although, having lived in OC most of my life and having many gay friends....none have ever said they have had a bad experience anyplace. And they live all over OC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships