Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Before the advent of on-line dating, there were newspaper ads and professional matchmaking services. I'm not talking "It's Just Lunch," but a little more formal than that, and probably more expensive.

I know one friend who went this route. He did it in his early 30s. He is a professional, clean cut, slightly stocky but not fat, and on the quiet side. It was one of the "name" outfits. He told me how much he shelled out. It wasn't exorbitant, but it was quite a bit - either the cost of a nice vacation or "groceries for one person for a year" sort of thing.

In the end, he wound up marrying an Eastern European woman who worked alongside him. They are a little off in terms of demographic attributes, but it seems to be working.

I would have never done this, at any point. There's something really contrived about being introduced by a matchmaker, and I'm not even talking about the stereotypical old-world European matchmaker, even found in modern-day America, who found/recommended a "nice girl" across town for you for free.

So, I know one person. It was a "no go." Money wasted. Do you know anybody who has used an upscale service? How did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
My sister used one. It was cheaper for her being a female, but I believe it was still 1K in the end by the time she had headshots done.

She ended up meeting her husband through a mutual friend while spending her summer down at the Jersey Shore. (A different location than were the MTV show is filmed. )

Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My sister used one. It was cheaper for her being a female, but I believe it was still 1K in the end by the time she had headshots done.

She ended up meeting her husband through a mutual friend while spending her summer down at the Jersey Shore. (A different location than were the MTV show is filmed. )
I think my friend was in the 1.5K to 1.7K range.

Edit: nice vacation meant "with a free frequent flyer ticket to get there."

Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
I tried it a long time ago (maybe 7 years?). I paid about $2000 and the idea was you would meet other educated, successful professionals in your area. Problem is, there didn't seem to be a lot of those types in my area willing to shell out the dough. So the first date they set me up on was a 65-year-old farmer who never graduated from high school.

I demanded that that date not count toward my number of guaranteed matches, so they tried again. But because they couldn't find anyone else suitable for me in their so-called "massive" database of professionals. I got my money back.

Waste of time, money and energy. I had 100x more success on OKC and other free sites.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM

192 posts, read 382,025 times
I'm literally flabbergasted

Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Not personally, but I saw the full hour of this show when they first met.

"Online Brides" - Web Exclusive - Marriage Tour Wedding Story - Our America With Lisa Ling - YouTube

The website (which I can't remember the name of) hosts "Romance tours" that cost a few thousand dollars (I think 3-5K) for men who are looking for love.

"Online Brides" - Web Exclusive - Richard's Pop Quiz - Our America With Lisa Ling - YouTube

Old 01-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Not personally, but I saw the full hour of this show when they first met.
So, this dude PAID to go to Barranquilla Colombia to meet his future wife? He's from Texas. As big as Texas is, he couldn't find a woman there? Houston? Dallas? Interesting.

Are they still together? I only watched the first one.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, this dude PAID to go to Barranquilla Colombia to meet his future wife? He's from Texas. As big as Texas is, he couldn't find a woman there? Houston? Dallas? Interesting.

Are they still together? I only watched the first one.
I don't know if they are still together. He had been divorced like something like 4 times, so he probably gave up on American women.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I don't know if they are still together. He had been divorced like something like 4 times, so he probably gave up on American women.
I would have never guessed. He looked like a corn-fed, never married, church going guy.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think my friend was in the 1.5K to 1.7K range.

Edit: nice vacation meant "with a free frequent flyer ticket to get there."
Was your friend a male or female? I believe the men paid much more for this service. I want to say closer to 20k. These are the types with NYC apartments with rooftop pools...but absolutely no social skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships