U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2009, 02:36 PM

300 posts, read 484,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not everyone wants sex out of a relationship. There are many other reasons to be married besides sex. If it were for sex alone, I wouldn't be married. I'd play the field
To me, sex is an integral, intrinsic part of a marital connection, you can't pry it apart from any other part of the said. But "platonic" with a "husband"? These two words shouldn't be in a same sentence!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 02:55 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,678,529 times
When the relationship has been damaged, the couple has to start over. You can't pick and choose which parts you start from. If the relationship is going to have a chance, it has to go back to the beginning.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,510 posts, read 12,043,685 times
Quote:

I'm curious because some here have posted they wouldn't date someone for three weeks if the didn't have sex with them and it looks like we're in for several months IF we make it.
Wow. I dated my former husband of 19 years for 6 weeks straight before it became remotely physical. I like to get to know someone first--to see if they're someone I want to even have a physical relationship with. That can take time. And it's a good weed'em out tool. But, I digress.

Unfortunately, I do think it's true, what the counselor said. Every time my ex and I tried to patch things up while estranged, we let sex get in the way and it prolonged the decision making and growing process.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,510 posts, read 12,043,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaicheg View Post
To me, sex is an integral, intrinsic part of a marital connection, you can't pry it apart from any other part of the said. But "platonic" with a "husband"? These two words shouldn't be in a same sentence!
They can be if you're estranged. It's a good way to find out what one or the other is hanging on for, too.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:53 PM

6,920 posts, read 9,171,425 times
I've heard of that idea for decades. It's nothing new and not unusual. From a personal standpoint, I'm not sure how long I'd do the platonic thing; several months seems like a long time. My ex and I were in a platonic relationship for years and it didn't bring us any closer.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 PM

22,304 posts, read 17,053,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I've heard of that idea for decades. It's nothing new and not unusual. From a personal standpoint, I'm not sure how long I'd do the platonic thing; several months seems like a long time. My ex and I were in a platonic relationship for years and it didn't bring us any closer.
I think the point is to remove the emotions surrounding sex so you can see clearly what is really going on.

If I'd listened to this counselor in the beginning, I might not be in the pickle I'm in. He was against my husband moving back in or sex in our relationship at the time. I was too worried about getting the kids out of limbo. With them spending half their time with their father and half their time with me, it seemed, somehow, wrong to hire a sitter and go out together.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,678,529 times
You'll do it right this time. It sounds like you've learned from your mistakes. You may have a good chance of survival.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM

3,196 posts, read 3,382,439 times
Good luck to you. Sometimes counselors help. The help more frequently than not. Just try to enjoy each other--and see if that old spark can still be nurtured into a flame.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:48 AM

1,667 posts, read 2,027,830 times
Quote:
I'm just curious as to what you guys think about the advice the counselor is giving my husband and myself (back in counseling and, I guess, dating for the moment - he does not want a divorce).

The counselors advice is that our relationship be platonic for now. He says that sex can really mess things up when you're trying to work through emotional issues. What do you think of the counselor's advice?

I'm curious because some here have posted they wouldn't date someone for three weeks if the didn't have sex with them and it looks like we're in for several months IF we make it.
your counselor is on-target with what he/she said & advised

Old 04-26-2009, 08:52 PM

22,304 posts, read 17,053,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaicheg View Post
Even the bible allows for a time of abstinence. Not being able to pry sex apart from the marital connection would be the problem being addressed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships