Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,174,095 times

Advertisements

I have been the OTHER man. She was hot to trot and so was I (I was single at the time). I just steered clear of the subject of her husband; she didn't want to talk about him and neither did I.

She was a serial cheater...I was just one guy along the way. But it was fun -- and a little nerve-wracking -- while it lasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,356,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I was watching a fictional character the other day justify her involvement with a married man. She pointed out that she was not the one who was married therefore she was not quilty of adultery.

Personally I believe in treating others like I would want to be treated. I wouldn't want a woman involving herself with my husband so therefore I would NOT become involved with someone else's spouse. Nevermind the fact I don't indulge in casual sex. I don't have to know the woman to feel some sort of responsibility to NOT make her life harder.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

For those that have had affairs, did you tell yourself that you weren't committing adultery so where is the problem since you weren't in the marriage?
I wont knowingly contribute to breaking up a marriage/realtionship. If a man wants out of one he needs to man up and tell his spouse he wants out not fool around on her.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM

22,133 posts, read 19,185,845 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want a woman involving herself with my husband so therefore I would NOT become involved with someone else's spouse. Nevermind the fact I don't indulge in casual sex. I don't have to know the woman to feel some sort of responsibility to NOT make her life harder.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

For those that have had affairs, did you tell yourself that you weren't committing adultery so where is the problem since you weren't in the marriage?
i have not ever been "the other woman" as I don't date anyone married, or anyone who is not available to be in a monogamous relationship. But i have listened to women share honestly and candidly about their thinking and WHY they have affairs with married men. These are the reasons I have heard women give:

"he'll leave her for me" they really believe the guy will leave his wife and be with her and live happily ever after

"he's trapped in an unhappy marriage" with a wife who doesn't understand him; when he sees how understanding she (the mistress) is he will fall in love with her and they will live happily ever after because she is the one who can make him happy

they go after men who are unavailable, married men fit that category

one woman said she did not practice honesty in her life; once it became important for her to begin living an "honest life" she stopped dating married men altogether

many women say "all is fair" when it comes to love and romance and "anything goes"

they have very low self-esteem and don't feel they are "worthy" of a relationship that is healthy, exclusive, monogamous, or above-board. When they improve their own self-esteem, and set the bar higher for how they treat themselves in life, they stop dating married men.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,923,469 times
How does that explain when children get cancer or other awful diseases?

How does that explain the book When good things happen to bad people?

Remember The Holocaust?

Quote:
Does no one believe in Karma, that you get back what you put out there or as christians say "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,001,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
they have very low self-esteem and don't feel they are "worthy" of a relationship that is healthy, exclusive, monogamous, or above-board. When they improve their own self-esteem, and set the bar higher for how they treat themselves in life, they stop dating married men.
Hey now!! OK, I'll buy that some of these mistresses have low self-esteem but I take GREAT isssue with your characterization of a "healthy" relationship having to be exclusive and monogamous.

In other words, the only "healthy" relationship involves marriage or is "marriage-like"? Nope. Different strokes for different folks and there is NOTHING wrong with being single and uncommitted to one particular person. Not everyone is suited to exclusivity and/or marriage and MORE people should admit that fact and not be pressured into marriage. THAT is why there are so many divorces and people stepping out on their spouses.

I've not been anyone's mistress but I've had offers to be several times, probably because I'm the "unwife." I value my individuality and freedom too much to fritter it away on a man and I only want to be with single men who want to be with me, not because they took an oath and are thereafter obligated. That doesn't make my relationships "unhealthy."

Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How does that explain when children get cancer or other awful diseases?

How does that explain the book When good things happen to bad people?

Remember The Holocaust?
Clearly you don't know what karma is.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Hey now!! OK, I'll buy that some of these mistresses have low self-esteem but I take GREAT isssue with your characterization of a "healthy" relationship having to be exclusive and monogamous.
Well, she did say "a relationship that is healthy, exclusive, monogamous,or above-board." Or, not and. I believe all she was saying was that an affair is none of those things.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,120,419 times
What the heck... I guess I'm in the mood to share this. Perhaps prof inspired me... since he doesn't open his mouth often, either. Only had a glass of wine, so alcohol is not to be blamed.

Sometimes things are beyond your control, at least for some of us that are wired this way. I met him when I was 23 - in a third country, which was his home country, but he didn't live there. It was one of those huge "sparks"... Couldn't help it. I knew he wasn't gonna divorce his wife. Still couldn't help it. Even then I knew I shouldn't even want to be married to somebody like him. Still couldn't help it. We met again in the course of 3 more summers. On one of these occasions I had a serious BF whom I loved. Still couldn't help it. This was the one and only occasion I've done something behind somebody's back.

Later I figured I can't continue wasting my life and youth with this and got married, moved across the ocean, and told my parents not to give him any info if he calls. Years went by... many years... I was married... then alone for a few years... and still kept my promise to never contact him again. Then without really trying a flight of mine got rerouted through his city, with an overnight... If it weren't for the overnight stay, I would've probably passed again, but it wasn't in the cards. Couldn't help it... The old supposedly well buried addiction came back, so I went there again a few months later. This last meeting was a sobering experience, though, and surprisingly enough it provided much needed closure. Both of us were a lot older and a lot more beaten up by life. It was actually the first time we really talked... and shared our disappointments and disillusionments and truths... and it was over for me for good... However, this experience has been engraved in me and I will always seek to relive it... I had a "thing" for this nation, lifestyle, music, etc. even before I met him. Looking to relive it brought other disasters into my life because I was projecting this desire on random people. And still am... Can't help it.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,634,829 times
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being the OTHER person in an affair -- nor is there anything wrong with helping out a dude who likes to kill people and rob their corpses. If he shares his money with you, and you're getting some benefits, what's the problem? It's not like you're the one pulling the trigger.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,923,469 times
No everybody believes in reincarnation.....if you are referring to the traditional meaning of the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Clearly you don't know what karma is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships