Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 PM

79 posts, read 226,055 times

Advertisements

Finally decides to tell me that the "best friend" she's been talking about all this time is actually her current b/f.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
When I first meet someone, I use that great Freudian line: What is it that most irritates you about people?

So it would all be dependent on the answer to that question.

Why? Because what we hate the most in others, usually sits within ourselves somewhere, lying there repressed, ready to take off like a rocket, given the right circumstances.

This person hates cheaters. I'd run!
This person hates people who can't control their anger. I'd run faster!
This person hates people who are always using other people. Run, run, run!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,896,044 times
Dealbreaker: A woman who uses the term "vajajay".

Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,875,707 times
Freudian analysis works true for some individuals but not all. And just because you hate something in others that you hate in yourself doesn't really mean anything groundbreaking if nobody cares about improving or developing themselves, now does it? Plus I believe most people are insightful to their own problems and issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I first meet someone, I use that great Freudian line: What is it that most irritates you about people?

So it would all be dependent on the answer to that question.

Why? Because what we hate the most in others, usually sits within ourselves somewhere, lying there repressed, ready to take off like a rocket, given the right circumstances.

This person hates cheaters. I'd run!
This person hates people who can't control their anger. I'd run faster!
This person hates people who are always using other people. Run, run, run!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,875,707 times
Leave Oprah alone. She has a right to say that word if she wants to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Dealbreaker: A woman who uses the term "vajajay".

Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,016,708 times
Hmmm, some deal breakers for me:

Hardcore into a religion
Conservative
Has a kid (I'm only 25, too young to want to worry about that)
Deals with severe depression
Socially ignorant
Chronic drug user
Plans EVERYTHING in their life out. The "I must be married by 22, have a kid by 24, etc." type.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,016,599 times
Smokers, and people who can't even speak proper English.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,716,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Hmmm, some deal breakers for me:

Hardcore into a religion
Conservative
Has a kid (I'm only 25, too young to want to worry about that)
Deals with severe depression
Socially ignorant
Chronic drug user

Plans EVERYTHING in their life out. The "I must be married by 22, have a kid by 24, etc." type.
My ex was very religious and socially ignorant and I couldn't stand it. I try to be very respectful about other people's beliefs but when it's all they talk about 24/7 I get very fed up very fast. Socially ignorant to me is the worst when it's paired with loud and obnoxious.

The other two I bolded I'd have to agree with. I don't like children and certainly don't want any yet (ever?) at my age. And if I were to date a chronic drug user he/she could land us both in a heap of trouble because of it, not to mention to other problems drugs cause!

To me, those four things could quite possible be major deal breakers for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Smokers, and people who can't even speak proper English.
It doesn't bother me when someone is relatively new to the language or it's not their first language (it really is a tough language to learn). But it really irks me when native English speakers can't even speak it or write it properly. As an English major and a lover of my native tongue, it'd be a deal breaker for me as well if a native English speaker didn't have a clue about his or her own language. sadly, I have friends who fit into such a category, and they attended decent schools and don't have any disabilities, so they really don't have an excuse, IMO.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 PM

804 posts, read 1,961,699 times
I suppose it's a habit that could be changed, but someone with no table manners (chewing with mouth open, talking with mouth full, talking nonstop during an entire meal).

There was one date, a grad student, that called me "stupid" for not having a graduate degree. I briefly pointed out my current debt from undergrad ($0) and salary, and ended the date.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 AM

670 posts, read 2,111,901 times
I haven't read all the responses, but, for me, it would have to be a complete intolerance for people of races, ethnicities, religions, or sexual persuasions. Illegal drug use would be right up there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships