Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,347,833 times

Advertisements

We get impressions of one another on this board. We draw conclusions based on these impressions. We all have opinions of other posters as they do of us. Am I alone in thinking that they are at best limited and one dimensional, and at worst totally inaccurate?

I thought it might be fun to list a few things about ourselves that, based on what we perceive to be our forum persona, might surprise others. I'll start, it is only fair, right?

I am monogamous
I am conservative on some issues
I have high moral standards
I make a lot of people laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,263,018 times
I am not as funny and witty as many people on here think.
I don't like being around a lot of people.
I am a germophobe.
I don't give up easily.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,951,888 times
I am constantly cracking jokes.

I, despite my belief in good manners, proper attire, and hard work, am a total nonconformist in every other way. For example, my son joined Boy Scouts so he could go camping. He had no interest in anything else. When several leaders of my son's local Boy Scout troop cornered me at a meeting to express concern over his lack of progress towards an Eagle Scout, I simply said, "When my son cares about being an Eagle Scout, I will. If he doesn't want it, then it's not high on my list of priorities." I don't think they had ever heard that answer before.

Evidently, according to my wife and others, I have balls bigger than cantaloupes despite my fairly mild appearances. I inherited my father's country club membership at the age of 27. Then I went to the next club meeting and asked that they amend the by-laws to allow blacks and Jews onto the membership rolls. When they refused to discuss it, I publicly resigned. Imagine the phone calls my mother got after that meeting.

I love to talk to people. At the same time, I don't gossip and I don't blab confidences. The secrets of many people are rattling around in my head.

I am known for edgy, subversive work, despite my normal appearances.

I am known for being nice, polite, and generous. But when I dig in my heels....well, you just don't want to see that. Any number of people in business have paid the price when they suddenly realized that I'm no pushover, and quite ruthless when crossed. I mean, I deal honestly and fairly with people and expect similar treatment from others. But screw me over, and I will perform the equivalent of burning down your house and shooting your dog just to serve as a warning to others.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:10 PM

10,163 posts, read 20,705,357 times
I'm a Leo, I like rainy days, walks on the beach, oh wait, wrong forum.

I have a sarcastic and dark sense of humor.
I enjoy being alone as long as I know someone is near.
I'm a skeptic, I'm always wondering what angle someone is playing, and can often see right through it. No I am NOT paranoid!
I am a procrastinator, but I'm working on it, maybe I'll start tomorrow...we'll see.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,549,359 times
I have a Hello Kitty purse.
I am afraid of falling and get terrible vertigo.
I spent a semester in Oxford as an exchange student.
I once boxed a girl in one of those rings they set up in bars and made her eye bleed.
I choke up easily at some odd things, like standing ovations and fire trucks with their sirens on.
I like heavy metal.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM

35,932 posts, read 30,478,865 times
I perceive my forum persona to be exactly as I am. I would have to know how others perceive me.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,347,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I perceive my forum persona to be exactly as I am. I would have to know how others perceive me.
Well, this is a good point. I can't say I know your posts well enough to have an opinion of you, and there is a bit of projection that goes into this exercise and that is an impression with varying degrees of accuracy in itself. One way to get an idea of how others view you, maybe the only way is to take a hint from how they respond to your posts.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:58 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,791,832 times
Hmmm ok based on that.

I have had fewer sexual partners than I have fingers.

I am very loyal.

I am a sucker for kids.

I do volunteer work with gang units to talk to kids about the dangers of gang life.

I am scared poopless of snakes. Even the little tiny F'rs will have me jump n running for a hoe or rake.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
I find almost everything amusing.

I do not really want to kill any boy that looks at one of my daughters (only most of them).
(please do nto let th is get out, it could cause major problems on our island).

People who run very large companies rely on me for advice on issues involving tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars. (That is my one serious side, I try not to find their problems or concerns amusing - it is bad for busienss).

I hate to wear shoes.

Very few people understand my sense of humor.

I do nto type very well and often forget to sepll cehck.

Technological devices consitently break when expsed to me for extended periods (thus I went through six blackberries in one year).

I have a difficult time believing that I am no longer 20 years old (had this problem for over 20 years).

Loyalty is perhaps the most important trait in other people in my mind. I am trying to think of something that I value more highly, There is probably something.

I tend to make friends with the people that no one else likes as often or more often than the people who everyone likes.

I cannot stand to be alone.

I do not like to be licked by dogs (the canine type).

I was once extremely liberal (back when I did like to be licked by dogs).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-01-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 03:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
I skipped my senior year of high school.

I once danced with "Boss Hogg" from the Duke's of Hazzard (and have the pic to prove it, lol)

My hobby is real estate (not much fun these days )

I can sing.

I love to laugh - and often need an asthma inhaler from laughing so hard with my best friends

I want to be a Guardian Ad Litum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships