U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,511 posts, read 11,179,164 times
Default First impressions

A long time ago I went on a blind date. It was a disaster from the moment it started to the time he dropped me off, where he insists to this day I was out of the car before it came to a full stop. And on my way out the door I said, "Call me sometime", to which he thought, "What? " LMAO

To make a long, funny story short, after I decided, for some strange reason, to call him and ask for a 2nd date, we hit it off, fell head over heels for each other and were inseparable.

So, my question is, do you believe in first impressions or do you give people second chances? I have to say, I've seen them fail almost as much as not so I'm very skeptical. There are all kinds of reasons first impressions didn't go well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,114,304 times
Whether or not a person gets a second chance really depends the circumstances. There are times when I was DONE (he had me pull over so he could pee on someone bushes) and changed my mind. He later gave me a kiss that would have made Rhett Butler jealous.

Then again, the doofus who couldn't pay to get out of the parking lot...no second chance.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 PM

3,843 posts, read 7,807,925 times
First impressions are VERY important and it just isn't with dating it is with EVERYTHING.

I believe the first five minutes of the conversation a girl decides if she is going to sleep with a man or not. That is why I tell guys to push for sex early on (because, in her mind, she has already decided if she is going to have sex with you or not. No point spending any time, money or energy with a girl whose answer is, "no").

Of course, from your experience, the first impression does lose its value over time. That only happens if you actually give second chances. Some people, like myself, never give second chances. If I go with a girl and she turns me down for sex, sorry but the relationship, friendship, whatever is done. No second chances, sorry.

None the less though, first impression are important.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,249,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
A long time ago I went on a blind date. It was a disaster from the moment it started to the time he dropped me off, where he insists to this day I was out of the car before it came to a full stop. And on my way out the door I said, "Call me sometime", to which he thought, "What? " LMAO

To make a long, funny story short, after I decided, for some strange reason, to call him and ask for a 2nd date, we hit it off, fell head over heels for each other and were inseparable.

So, my question is, do you believe in first impressions or do you give people second chances? I have to say, I've seen them fail almost as much as not so I'm very skeptical. There are all kinds of reasons first impressions didn't go well.
That's quite strange... Could you elaborate some on what ticked you off the first time?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 PM

5,555 posts, read 3,942,435 times
I don't believe in first impressions. I was fortunate to have had this well-learned lesson early in life when I met my husband. Had he not pursued me, I would have gone along my merry way.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Boy oh boy I must be an odd ball (and happily so) because I've never decided such a thing (to sleep with a guy in 5 minutes) in five, ten, fifteen or a hundred and fifteen minutes!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM

17,380 posts, read 15,846,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I believe the first five minutes of the conversation a girl decides if she is going to sleep with a man or not. That is why I tell guys to push for sex early on (because, in her mind, she has already decided if she is going to have sex with you or not. No point spending any time, money or energy with a girl whose answer is, "no").
You have so so much to learn.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-01-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,249,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
First impressions are VERY important and it just isn't with dating it is with EVERYTHING.

Of course, from your experience, the first impression does lose its value over time. That only happens if you actually give second chances. Some people, like myself, never give second chances. If I go with a girl and she turns me down for sex, sorry but the relationship, friendship, whatever is done. No second chances, sorry.

None the less though, first impression are important.
Even though I'm certainly not an advocate of your approach, I agree first impressions do count. While sex may not happen immediately or soon, I also believe most people decide quite quickly if it will potentially happen or not and proceed only if they're attracted. However, this preliminary decision is tentative and could easily change, say if the other person's hoofs keep going into his/her mouth, generally speaking...

Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM

20,583 posts, read 17,122,830 times
There's not just yes and no--there's maybe. If a guy asks me five minutes after I meet him whether we're having sex, that maybe turns into a no.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Even though I'm certainly not an advocate of your approach, I agree first impressions do count. While sex may not happen immediately or soon, I also believe most people decide quite quickly if it will potentially happen or not and proceed only if they're attracted. However, this preliminary decision is tentative and could easily change, say if the other person's hoofs keep going into his/her mouth, generally speaking...
LOL Now that's more like it, far more realistic.

5 minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships