Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Very poignant questions to ponder. I'm really going have to dig deep to answer most. All I know is I want to gogogo but I don't know why or where. Just keep moving. I'll give these questions some serious thought. I do know one thing, even the thought of being able to tame my restlessness--or whatever it is--makes me cringe. I'd like to be able to pull it off--just disappear by myself for however long I want to. I tame it for family. Maybe it's my upbringing. My dad had terrible wander lust. We moved at least once a year, sometimes twice--Alaska to California and back again, my whole childhood. Everyone hated it. I neither hated nor liked it.
Dude you sound like me not too long ago. I'm not sure your age (I'm fairly young and inexperienced in life), but I know for me, it was like I was living my life vacation to vacation. I couldn't wait to escape. Not just work, but escape home period, and go off on some new travel adventure.

Recently I made a move for personal reasons, from my old home to my current one in the DC area. I was somewhat down before, now I couldn't be happier. And my wanderlust has dissipated somewhat. Sure, I still like to travel, but its now more like a hobby than a constant need. I enjoy my day to day life so much, that I don't feel the need to escape it constantly. Recently, I've even been annoyed by a lot of travel - I just want to stay home some and be near friends!

I'm not suggesting you are the same as me. You could, genuinely, have insatiable wanderlust. But I AM suggesting you MAY be the same as me. Becasue your symptoms are identical to what mine were almost. I had grand plans, including highly impractical multi-month road trips I wanted to do.

So, as DimSumRaja has said, ask yourself some questions. The one I'm interested in you asking is, "am I happy where I live right now?" This is a holistic question. Take a full inventory. Do you like your job? Are you near dear friends? Do you like the climate? Do you like the social oportunities? And so on.

Because, as I have found, wanderlust can often be a symptom of being unhappy in your current situation rather than a condition in and of itself. And I think, before you try to "correct" your issue, its important to know what precisely it is!

If you want to, please feel free to DM me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
Dude you sound like me not too long ago. I'm not sure your age (I'm fairly young and inexperienced in life), but I know for me, it was like I was living my life vacation to vacation. I couldn't wait to escape. Not just work, but escape home period, and go off on some new travel adventure.

Recently I made a move for personal reasons, from my old home to my current one in the DC area. I was somewhat down before, now I couldn't be happier. And my wanderlust has dissipated somewhat. Sure, I still like to travel, but its now more like a hobby than a constant need. I enjoy my day to day life so much, that I don't feel the need to escape it constantly. Recently, I've even been annoyed by a lot of travel - I just want to stay home some and be near friends!

I'm not suggesting you are the same as me. You could, genuinely, have insatiable wanderlust. But I AM suggesting you MAY be the same as me. Becasue your symptoms are identical to what mine were almost. I had grand plans, including highly impractical multi-month road trips I wanted to do.

So, as DimSumRaja has said, ask yourself some questions. The one I'm interested in you asking is, "am I happy where I live right now?" This is a holistic question. Take a full inventory. Do you like your job? Are you near dear friends? Do you like the climate? Do you like the social oportunities? And so on.

Because, as I have found, wanderlust can often be a symptom of being unhappy in your current situation rather than a condition in and of itself. And I think, before you try to "correct" your issue, its important to know what precisely it is!

If you want to, please feel free to DM me .
I'm a 51 year old dudette. LOL I don't think my wanderlust is going anywhere at this point. I think I just need to assess and address it like DSR suggested. I was looking for one way to do it, there are many, with many questions to address. Not as simple as it sounds but not as difficult as I make it out to be, I'm sure. Thanks for the response. I'll take it to heart.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:21 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
Quote:
I'm a 51 year old dudette. LOL I don't think my wanderlust is going anywhere at this point. I think I just need to assess and address it like DSR suggested. I was looking for one way to do it, there are many, with many questions to address. Not as simple as it sounds but not as difficult as I make it out to be, I'm sure. Thanks for the response. I'll take it to heart.
Guh, sorry for the gender mix-up . Shoulda checked your profile first. Best of luck to you, regardless!

Old 05-03-2009, 03:29 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Good question. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm still stuck somewhere between putting everyone else first and thinking it's time for me to step aside and do something for myself now. They're all grown. They'll have to live without me eventually anyway. This could even prepare them for that.
I love the name you have chosen!

The Journey

One day you finally knew what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting their bad advice --
though the whole house began to tremble
and you felt the old tug at your ankles.

"Mend my life!" each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried with its stiff fingers at the very foundations,
though their melancholy was terrible.

It was already late enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.

But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,

and there was a new voice
which you slowly recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper into the world,

determined to do the only thing you could do --
determined to save the only life you could save.

Mary Oliver

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-03-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
I think that you need to find others with the same wanderlust. When I was a more active antique show dealer, I would see dealer couples on the road constantly following the show circuit quite happily. Dog show people can be the same way.

Between grades 1-5, my family moved around a lot. Now I'm a stuff person with a bunch of dogs, and right now, I enjoy staying mostly in one place. I have no desire to follow my family out to California. On the other hand, my boyfriend is itching to take long trips on his dirt bike.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
DimsumRaja

That is absolutely beautiful - very meaningful - a great perception - thank you! So very true and such freedom in getting there.

Ayla

Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Sorry I can't get married. I already married god.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
I love the name you have chosen!

The Journey

One day you finally knew what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting their bad advice --
though the whole house began to tremble
and you felt the old tug at your ankles.

"Mend my life!" each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried with its stiff fingers at the very foundations,
though their melancholy was terrible.

It was already late enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.

But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,

and there was a new voice
which you slowly recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper into the world,

determined to do the only thing you could do --
determined to save the only life you could save.

Mary Oliver
Very cool! Thanks for posting it.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that you need to find others with the same wanderlust. When I was a more active antique show dealer, I would see dealer couples on the road constantly following the show circuit quite happily. Dog show people can be the same way.

Between grades 1-5, my family moved around a lot. Now I'm a stuff person with a bunch of dogs, and right now, I enjoy staying mostly in one place. I have no desire to follow my family out to California. On the other hand, my boyfriend is itching to take long trips on his dirt bike.
I'm a stuff person too but only because I couldn't satisfy my wanderlust. Now, I'm wanting to simplify my life, whittle down my stuff to a few boxes and be ready to bolt whenever I feel like it. Maybe what I've been hoping for is an ok from my family to say it's ok to think of yourself now. I know, I'm not a child. Gotcha. Thanks for all the thought-provoking replies everyone.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Sorry I can't get married. I already married god.
I'm sure satan appreciates your sweet term of endearment for him. Enjoy your marriage consummation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships