Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If your significant other was HIV positive, would you leave them??
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
The odds of anyone in the U.S getting infected with HIV through a blood transfusion are extremely unlikely. So, except for that lightning bolt of a chance, the only way a person could get HIV infected would be to cheat or share needles for drugs or some other damaging behavior. Seeing as how I wouldn't get into a relationship with someone already infected, then yes, I would leave and it is that cut and dry. There aren't that many ways to get infected that don't involve cheating or lying about drug use, etc.
Yes, all those lying, cheating, drug using doctors and nurses are a real problem aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Not necessarily. I think that people STILL freak out about sexually transmitted diseases, particularly in America. I find it really sad that HIV/AIDs is still viewed as primarily a sexually transmitted disease and all the stereotypical thinking that goes along with it.
I think people would be very sympathetic with partners that are sick, injured or die from some of the things you listed and they would stay but I do believe there is still a huge panic that people go into when they hear HIV/AIDS and I don't think they're truly able to consider rationally what they would do because they invisage the Grim Reaper coming for them or something equally ridiculous and there is still that connotation that if you have HIV/AIDS you must be sexually perverted. Too bad if you're a doctor or a nurse or paramedic infected through a sharps injury. Or someone who had a dodgy blood transfusion or a multitude of other ways in which people become infected. AND seriously if you have it who cares how you came by it? Ultimately to me, HOW you come to have HIV/AIDS is irrelevent, that you do is no different to me than if you had cancer or Motor Neurone or a hoard of horrid and hideous diseases that suck the life right out of you. You would have my utmost sympathy AND an extra dose of it because of all the crap you'll have to put up with from people that are ignorant and unkind.
I really like your posts, Moonshadow. This is the difference between the "me" and placing your focus on the other person when it counts - when you are truly tested as to how great and deep your love really goes - loving the other enough. This is the definition of courage.

I am not speaking of putting yourself in jeopardy sexually.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM

219 posts, read 736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
so why would the sex end when there's ways to protect yourself? And there's many safe ways of having sex with your partner, and highly enjoyable, even if that person has aids.
Have you not heard of a condom breaking I would not take a chance with my life.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM

219 posts, read 736,438 times
tijlover
YOU MIGHT LIKE TAKING A CHANCE WITH YOUR LIFE BUT I AM NOT IAM NOT A GAMBERLER

Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I really like your posts, Moonshadow. This is the difference between the "me" and placing your focus on the other person when it counts - when you are truly tested as to how great and deep your love really goes - loving the other enough. This is the definition of courage.

I am not speaking of putting yourself in jeopardy sexually.
Thank you.

I wasn't speaking about putting yourself (myself) in jeopardy sexually either.

Look I'll be honest, I've never knowingly come in contact with someone who has HIV/AIDS and I've certainly never been in a situation where I've had to care for someone who has it, however I have cared for someone who was dying of lymphoma who was incorrectly diagnosed with TB during that period. I've also cared for gay friends who have had Hep B and a friend (intravenous drug user) who had Hep C. From my experiences when dealing with someone who has tested postive for a communicable disease I know that health professionals also educate those who will be caring for the patient about how to do so and also how to protect themselves. As far as I can see once you are educated there is really nothing to fear other than fear itself and like everything you have to weigh up the situation as it comes up and assess what risks you are prepared to take.
IF my lover was diagnosed with AIDS/HIV (or any other communicable disease) I know that I would be looking to find ways that we could continue loving each other as we have always done, it would simply be a matter of taking extra precautions. I do know that I wouldn't suddenly stop loving them or wanting to make love to them because of a disease.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
ANY relationship or marriage is a gamble. 50% of marriages, today, end up in divorce.

And so you find your safe, foolproof partner who has tested negative for 2years straight, and you have tested negative for 2 years straight. And you marry (or should I say gamble?).

Delusions are commonplace in marriages/relationships. How you love to pride yourself in saying, whether you're 5 or 50 years into a marriage: I know this man/woman inside and out. She/He would never...........

And how many cheating partners will come home some night and proclaim: Hi Honey! You won't believe this! I met someone where I had two orgasms in less than an hour!

A good 75% of the clients of Gay male prostitutes are married men living double lives, and the wives/partners having not a clue that this ex-football
player or stocky, muscular construction worker had another side to him.

No matter what the circumstances, just to play it safe, even if you've been with your "stranger" (even after 50 years of marriage you will NEVER truly know that person), protect yourself!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda05125 View Post
Have you not heard of a condom breaking I would not take a chance with my life.
Oh the poverty of some people's imagination! Not all safe, enjoyable sex requires a condom.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-05-2009 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 PM

664 posts, read 773,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yes, all those lying, cheating, drug using doctors and nurses are a real problem aren't they?
Oh, please. How many doctors or nurses do you know that got infected at work? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but the odds are very unlikely. The fact is that in the U.S and other developed countries, there are practices in place to prevent people from getting infected in hospitals, at the tattoo parlor, getting blood transfusions, etc. It may happen occasionally, but it's like your chances of winning the lottery.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
I voted NO. Unless it was a result of cheating I would not leave. It may be rare to contract it through transfusions or needle sticks but it is possible. Heck I remember the story of the woman who got it from her dentist because he didn't sterilize his equipment properly.

For those of you in long term relationships, if your SO got HIV and it wasn't from a deliberate act of theirs you'd leave them? Really? After 20 or more years of a happy marriage? Really???

Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Oh, please. How many doctors or nurses do you know that got infected at work? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but the odds are very unlikely. The fact is that in the U.S and other developed countries, there are practices in place to prevent people from getting infected in hospitals, at the tattoo parlor, getting blood transfusions, etc. It may happen occasionally, but it's like your chances of winning the lottery.
So you're saying that because the numbers of nurses and doctors that are infected at work are low and because the chances of getting it in a hospital or tattoo parlour or through transfusion are also low that those people who do become infected that way don't count in our consideration of the question as it was posed and we should refocus our efforts on demonizing those infected by our own assumptions and generalizations of their morality or lack there of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships