U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM

875 posts, read 880,739 times
Default Why are cooled tempered/mild mannered guys frowned upon?

Seems nowadays many young female can't distinguish between confidence and cockiness. I tend to be very polite in public, non-confrontational type of guy mainly because I'm usually by myself when I'm out. My ex would get upset with me and accuse me of flirting although its just in my nature to be polite/nice as much as possible. it just makes me feel good. She also said that she felt unsafe because of how nice I was. Ladies, please understand that no matter what type of guy you have, if his loved one is threatened he will do whatever is necessary to protect it. That being said, I see no need to have a **** poor attitude 24/7 and make people feel crappy just so she can feel safe. Where are all the eye-glass wearing/naturally beautiful/non-makup wearing women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 13,300,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Where are all the eye-glass wearing/naturally beautiful/non-makup wearing women?
In their beds, 2 am, middle of their sleep

Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 PM

3,843 posts, read 7,969,788 times
She was jealous.

I personally don't blame her since most guys these days are polygamous.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM

108 posts, read 236,240 times
Wow, a polite and nice guy? Not many of those around anymore it seems! She was probably nervous because there are so few men like that out there that she thought someone would try and snatch you from her. She should've instead been grateful and happy that she found someone like that!

As for feeling unsafe, politeness from a man today can sometimes be seen as weakness. To me, being nice and courteous is a form of strength, because it takes someone who truly knows and is comfortable with themselves to be that way. I say don't worry about it, someday you'll find someone who truly appreciates you and won't be uncomfortable with who you are.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,511 posts, read 11,440,791 times
Quote:
Seems nowadays many young female can't distinguish between confidence and cockiness. I tend to be very polite in public, non-confrontational type of guy mainly because I'm usually by myself when I'm out. My ex would get upset with me and accuse me of flirting although its just in my nature to be polite/nice as much as possible. it just makes me feel good. She also said that she felt unsafe because of how nice I was. Ladies, please understand that no matter what type of guy you have, if his loved one is threatened he will do whatever is necessary to protect it. That being said, I see no need to have a **** poor attitude 24/7 and make people feel crappy just so she can feel safe. Where are all the eye-glass wearing/naturally beautiful/non-makup wearing women?
It's funny how this ends in the aesthetics of a woman--and specifically at that--kind of tears away from the alleged purpose of the post--but I digress.

I don't understand why when someone encounters someone whom they feel is this way or that way towards them about a specific thing, they don't just move on to someone who's more mature in that regard. Why make issues of it and pretend we think all men or all women are this way when we all know it (the origin of the problem you precieve) can't be blanketed. It belongs to no one group in particular.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM

875 posts, read 880,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It's funny how this ends in the aesthetics of a woman--and specifically at that--kind of tears away from the alleged purpose of the post--but I digress.

I don't understand why when someone encounters someone whom they feel is this way or that way towards them about a specific thing, they don't just move on to someone who's more mature in that regard. Why make issues of it and pretend we think all men or all women are this way when we all know it (the origin of the problem you precieve) can't be blanketed. It belongs to no one group in particular.
I guess it could be taken as a blanket statement and I'm fully aware that the issue exists in both camps. My post was to garner a sense as to whether a good percentage of women consider a polite man a weak one. Could have been worded better but we are adults and I'm sure we are all literate. If you felt it was a blanket statement i apologize. Also note that I stated many, not most or all. Many can still be a small percentage but in my dating experiences this is what I've come across.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 AM

4,384 posts, read 1,793,109 times
Quote:
Well, niceness is kind of looked down on in contemporary culture.

A nice person is sometimes seen as lacking a spine and essentially a ***** doormat, or is only nice since they have a sinister agenda behind the niceness.

i say be you, and it's healthy you are proud of you. if a girl, doesn't like it, screw her (not necessarily literally though lol).

Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,113,790 times
Most most cool tempered/mild mannered guys I've been with were boring....I'm talking SNOOZEFESTS. I personally need a guy with more of an 'edge', that I can't walk all over because I can be very controlling and bossy. Not saying there is anything wrong with cool tempered/mild mannered guys, but they're just not for me..

Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM

2,393 posts, read 2,321,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Most most cool tempered/mild mannered guys I've been with were boring....I'm talking SNOOZEFESTS. I personally need a guy with more of an 'edge', that I can't walk all over because I can be very controlling and bossy. Not saying there is anything wrong with cool tempered/mild mannered guys, but they're just not for me..
You can be cool tempered and mild mannered without being walked over,just because a man doesnt fit your need of constant soap opera drama in a relationship doesnt mean hes spineless ..

Hes probably just smart and realizes its not worth fighting every tiny battle with a women or youll get an ulcer real fast..

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

4,838 posts, read 4,912,122 times
Quote:
My post was to garner a sense as to whether a good percentage of women consider a polite man a weak one.
They probably do. This is another "nice guy" thread and if it gets going, it should bring out the really caustic comments about how most women can't stand such men. Not all, of course, but you are setting yourself up for pretty stiff competition if you follow this path. And a proportion only claim to like these characteristics, because they have no other option.

Other factors and what the general opinion is:

Frugal and avoids debt = cheap

Plans for the future = boring

Strives to get an education = egghead

Friendly and even tempered = wimp

Takes responsability for his actions = sucker

Doesn't use women so therefore has little "experience" = pervert

Reliable. Likes quiet enjoyment of life = weirdo

Basically, if you want to add to this list, find out what women complain about when they b|tch about their ex. This is the one time most women really value "nice guy" characteristics in a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships