Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times

Advertisements

Only glancing through some of the posts, it sounds like you are implying that a woman with children, marrying a new husband, then becomes a sahm, is just a slacker expecting someone to take care of her and her children, is this correct?

If so, that is so LAME. You have no idea what being a sahm entails. A sahm runs the household, does the cleaning, errands, cooking, taking the kids to sporting and school events, banking, paying the bills, and taking care of her children and husband and working like a maniac to see that all this runs smoothly...it's no easy feat!

So, if that was what you were implying, you are so wrong, if you weren't then I'm sorry, lol...being a sahm I don't have time to read through every post/reply, just skimming for good parts, but I'm sure someone out there thinks sahm's are slackers just wanting someone to "take care of them" so this is for you!

Editing to add that all my children are from my husband, my first and only marriage (knock wood) but regardless if a sahm is in her 2nd or more marriage, it really doesn't matter, it's all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 04:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Only glancing through some of the posts, it sounds like you are implying that a woman with children, marrying a new husband, then becomes a sahm, is just a slacker expecting someone to take care of her and her children, is this correct?

If so, that is so LAME. You have no idea what being a sahm entails. A sahm runs the household, does the cleaning, errands, cooking, taking the kids to sporting and school events, banking, paying the bills, and taking care of her children and husband and working like a maniac to see that all this runs smoothly...it's no easy feat!

So, if that was what you were implying, you are so wrong, if you weren't then I'm sorry, lol...being a sahm I don't have time to read through every post/reply, just skimming for good parts, but I'm sure someone out there thinks sahm's are slackers just wanting someone to "take care of them" so this is for you!

Editing to add that all my children are from my husband, my first and only marriage (knock wood) but regardless if a sahm is in her 2nd or more marriage, it really doesn't matter, it's all the same.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
[quote=funymann;8697128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why don't you move on and keep your comments to yourself!!!
You post such goofball rants on a public forum and expect to NOT get comments????

Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 PM

50 posts, read 248,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post

I can't tell you how many times in my relationship that I would have to tell her to butt out when the conversation did not even address her. She then would say, "No YOU butt out!!"

So if you have any suggestions on living with a 35 year old/two year old acting spoiled brat....let me know.
Probably because you tell her to "butt out" which gets up her dander. Try ignoring her next time and see if the reaction is different.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I think once you get married it becomes a partnership and both should help each other out.
It does but children definitely complicate things and make the chances of a second, third, fourth, etc marriage working out that much worse.

One may have children, the other has no children and that's a problem. But they could both have children and the children were raised differently, or are of different ages and that's a problem. Or one set of children lives with, the others only visit and that's a problem.

Then throw in in-laws, various grandparents, step-grandparents, ex-step-grandparents, ex-in-laws and there are more problems.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times
I'd say it depends on the situation and where you live.

My wife and I make about $130K combined and we NEED that level of income just to make ends meet where we live.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 AM

549 posts, read 1,929,797 times
I think a woman would be lucky to find a man that not only likes her but her kids as well. I think expecting a man to take care of her and her kids... that's too much. It just kind of seems like the whole irresponsibility of the woman. She gets pregnant, splits with the man, finds another man, makes him support her AND her children?

Now, there are many different scenarios. Perhaps she's a widow from an accident. Still, I don't think it's right to expect a man to support her and her children.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnz View Post
Probably because you tell her to "butt out" which gets up her dander. Try ignoring her next time and see if the reaction is different.
No Bob.

You don't ignore a woman who is putting down your authority in front of the kids. Big no, no.

You will find the next time Mom butts in the kids then realize that Mom holds the stick in this family. Then they will go to her when you are trying to teach or administer discipline.

Big NO NO Bob.

You stand up to the one questioning authority and put them down so the kids don't get the wrong idea.

Yes in other circumstances the deaf ear works great. However, in this situation, no.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
^ Neither one of you should ever put down the other in front of the children.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 AM

36,513 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I think a woman would be lucky to find a man that not only likes her but her kids as well. I think expecting a man to take care of her and her kids... that's too much. It just kind of seems like the whole irresponsibility of the woman. She gets pregnant, splits with the man, finds another man, makes him support her AND her children?

Now, there are many different scenarios. Perhaps she's a widow from an accident. Still, I don't think it's right to expect a man to support her and her children.

I agree that in todays society no one should expect to be taken care of. And you are right there are different scenarios. Dont assume a single mom was not in a once good marriage and both parties planned pregnancies or that she split.

What do you think should be expected in a marriage? That if a woman with kids remarries she should work full time and do all the hh duties, they split the utilities and groceries by usage and consumption? Why would you even marry if your not willing to be a family? And what about if the man has children? Should the woman refuse to cook for his kids or not do his kids laundry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships