Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

My husband works an evening/night shift so I can get a day job but no luck recently.

One of us has to be home for our son.

I hate this schedule and so does he. I am up 6 am, he gets up 9-11 am. He goes to work by 5.

At least we have weekends, but Saturday he usually sleeps in so we don't do much till later in the day.

I don't like it, and can't wait till it ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM

218 posts, read 799,123 times
Works well for my SO and I. I work nights while he is a dayshifter who works the occassional afternoon. Early in the relationship we would spend time together in the evenings before I went to work (early dinner if I went in at 7, early dinner and movie if I went in at 11) and in the mornings when I got off work if he didn't work early (lots of breakfast dates). We also have our days off. Now we live together so spending time together is much easier but if both people are flexible it is very possible to date while working different shifts.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,745 times
i can go one better. Imagine dating someone who works alternate early and late weeks with a non fixed schedule - commuter train driver in the UK. This means work can start anytime from 3am and finish anytime up to 2am with no two days alike as evryday is allocated a different shift with its own unique times.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,224 times
My fiance works day and I work nights.

She hates it and us not spending anything other than weekends together. I don't mind it (don't like or dislike). I know it sounds awful and we rarely see each other during the week. I see her maybe a half hour every day in the evening before work.

It is hard sleeping during the day but it is nice getting a great nights (days) sleep without being disturbed or disturbing her. Also, when I wake up in the early afternoon it is nice being able to run errands and also hobbies.

Relationships like this can work but it takes work, more work than usual. And a lot of love. so-so or rocky relationships will not last under these conditions!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriInNH View Post
Relationships like this can work but it takes work, more work than usual. And a lot of love. so-so or rocky relationships will not last under these conditions!
Very true.It shows a lot of commitment. However, as per the OPs original question, its a big ask especially when just starting to date someone. Its almost understandable if someone walks away!

Im realising the social cost of my job is too high and am initiating a long winded 5 year plan to change jobs, or career path if I have to, as I feel my job will ask even more of any relationship I may have especially when children are later thrown into the mix. Imagine the childcare juggle!

Work/life balance is very important. Maybe more important than financial reward.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygar View Post
i can go one better. Imagine dating someone who works alternate early and late weeks with a non fixed schedule - commuter train driver in the UK. This means work can start anytime from 3am and finish anytime up to 2am with no two days alike as evryday is allocated a different shift with its own unique times.
That sounds about like my schedule.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,329 times
That's how it is with my boyfriend. He'd be ready to pack it in at midnight and I'd want to dance until dawn. I'm used to being up literally until the crack of dawn. We had some "talks" about my unrealistic expectation that he'd party with me. I had to compromise and get used to going in earlier although I didn't go to sleep. Based on my experience I'd say you have to work it out and see each other most on the weekends. Doing it wiith kids seems like a nightmare if you can't get a nanny.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
It takes lots of planning and understanding to make it work. If you can it can be a great experience. The 9 years I have worked these hours, they have flown by.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
*hfft* You think night shift is hard on relationships, how about your health? Besides raising the risks of obesity, heart disease and diabetes (Night Shift Work Hard on the Heart - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/hscout/2009/03/02/hscout624659.html - broken link)) , NOW a cancer scare has been linked

Study Links Working the Night Shift to Higher Risk of Breast Cancer - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Both my mate and I are night shifters. I get check ups and blood tests every 6 months because my Dr has been alarmed at how the schedule has affected my blood pressure and iron levels. Now, if she doesn't get a yearly report of a mammogram, I get a scolding from her.

And - yes - we are working on getting away from that schedule. During the winter, I rarely see the sun. I look like a character from "Twilight" by the time spring rolls around ... well ... without the sparkles

Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 AM

622 posts, read 1,279,811 times
Sounds like the perfect marriage to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships