Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:38 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,635,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwana_b View Post
Ok so, for years I have heard the term 'bring something to the table'. Or someone saying 'If you are going to seek a relationship with someone, make sure you have something to bring to the table'.
Ok now, I know the general meaning of this, but others, please post what you consider it to mean. Oh and please if you can, give examples.
Thanx, you guy's are the best!
I say this fairly often. I think I picked it up in college, I heard my buddies say this about people.

It seems really obvious to me.. I'm surprised you need an explanation.. but if someone "doesn't bring anything to the table", then they don't have anything to offer you.

Despite the direction of the thread, I've never heard it used to describe people of the opposite sex, although it surely could be. I always remembered it (in college) describing someone who doesn't contribute anything to "the group," particularly in a social sense.

Some people are funny.
Some people are smooth.
Some people have money, or boats, or beach houses
Some people are bat**** crazy
Some people know a lot of single girls
Some people can fight
Some people know where to get drugs
Some people are world-class musicians
Some people are just well-liked.
Other people, (who don't have any of the aforementioned traits), just consume what everyone else in "the group" brings. They are dead weight, their presence brings everyone else down.

As I recall, all this was integral in the process of forming little cliques, development of the "pecking order", and in some cases affects an individual's appeal with the opposite sex.

Last edited by le roi; 05-06-2009 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM

390 posts, read 903,634 times
Wow, great responses!! Thank you. I love to get OP opinions and insights.
As a whole it all helps.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,558,366 times
To me that means that the person you're dating, or considering dating should add something to your life....whether it's material, financial, emotional or some other aspect. And you should also enrich their life in some way.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,995,814 times
It's the expression that a marriage is more than just romance. It has to be a practical working relationship as well.

Anybody who doesn't understand this is doomed to a lifetime of relationship failure. Because great swaths of a life spent together isn't about staring into each other's eyes. It's about paying the bills, raising the kids, and generally building a life together.

So if one person doesn't pull his or her weight either in earning money, managing money, or doing his or her fair share in the domestic duties, then that really demonstrates a lack of commitment to the common life of partnership.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM

77,886 posts, read 60,031,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have to ask ... would he be using it like a club or a gun?
Ok, Im having a bad morning and you just made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,490,020 times
Basically.....be it male or female....

If you enter into a relationship...it's not just about you and what you want.

You have to be ready for the give and take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships