Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 AM

332 posts, read 434,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Way to resurrect a four year old thread

If you're more than six months or a year out of college and still living at home most will look at you like a chump. Yes, life with bills if hard for a while but it ignites a visceral spark that turns you into an adult.
Why care what anyone else thinks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
ok im 25, i live with my parents. If i were to tell a girl this- would it be a deal-breaker?
No.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:08 AM

15,772 posts, read 21,283,299 times
For me, it's a dealbreaker barring some specific circumstances. I live in a high cost of living area where most people live with roommates until they are married or in their 30s (and often, live with roommates their whole lives if they stay single). However, it's still very rare for people my age (25) to still be living at home.

And for me personally, I have gone through a lot without the help of my parents and don't know how I would relate to someone who lives at home. I was diagnosed with cancer a month after my 23rd birthday and my parents made it clear that they "could not afford" to have me come home for treatments - nor did they chose to visit me from 1000 miles away. That meant I needed to work full time through 6 months of chemo in order to pay my rent, medical bills, etc. Few people have been through that sort of situation, but I simply can't relate to someone who lives at home.

The one pass I gave was on a friend who has serious health issues. We dated for about 6 months, and he has lived at home since he was 19 (now 26) because he does not have enough "good days" to work. He is a freelance photographer (a big departure from the pre-med ROTC student he was before getting sick) and works when he can, but not enough to pay for even 1 bedroom in someone's house (which around here is around $700 a month).

He does pay SOMETHING toward rent to his mom. That's a non-negotiable to me - you must be paying your parents for rent, utilities, and essentially have a roommate type set up. If your mom is still doing your laundry and you're living rent free then see ya..

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,577,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
ok im 25, i live with my parents. If i were to tell a girl this- would it be a deal-breaker?
I think it really depends on why you're living with them and what your plan is. If you're doing it while you get through grad school so you don't rack up more student loan debt, i think many would be okay with that. If you're caring for an ailing elderly parent, most would be okay with that. (Then again, most parents of 25-year-olds aren't elderly enough to need that.) Even if you're getting back on your feet after a hospital bill or layoff or something, some might be okay with that at your age. In any of these situations, though, you want to show that you have a plan for getting out on your own as soon as possible. It's not that hard to make enough to split an apartment with a couple of roommates, even in the most expensive cities.

Edit: Effing zombie threads.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,672,214 times
I am sorry but if the person who is under 30 is living at home helping out, paying bills, trying to save up and move out then I don't see an issue. Anyone who thinks it is an issue and won't date you because of that is shallow....plain and simple. I would understand if the person is lazy and has no initiative to move out and simply mooches off their parents then its a different story. Chances are you will move out eventually but in this economy its been tough for a lot of 20 something's so I understand.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,577,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle43 View Post
Why care what anyone else thinks?
To get dates, presumably.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Default No I wouldn't date a man who lived with his parents

If you're sleeping in the same twin bed you've been sleeping in since you were 12, don't expect a relationship from me.

I'm not having sex with a man that has to come down to eat when he's called for dinner.

I'm not investing time in a relationship with a man who is content to work a B.S. job so that he can spend his money on video games and comic books.

Here's a choice for you. Either you get free rent by staying at home with mom and dad or you get an adult relationship and all its benefits. Pick one.

You can live at home with the 'rents but don't expect me to be in a relationship with you.

Exceptions:

In college or grad school
Just starting a new career
Parents are sick and need care
They live WITH YOU, not the other way around

Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 AM

663 posts, read 774,603 times
What about if a guy who is 25 living at home but he has $200K saved up?

Would you still ditch him?

*The only reason I moved out was to be closer for work (commute is 1.5 hrs living at home). Had work been closer at home, I might just live at home.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,051,872 times
I don't think it should be. If she likes you she likes you. Plus 25 is really young.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM

2,996 posts, read 2,251,114 times
In this economy with so many people out of jobs and the ones they find do not make enough to support themselves we are going see a lot more people moving back home.

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 02-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: wanted to change it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships