U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 AM

24,308 posts, read 13,799,294 times
I don't know if this was brought up, but in this ecomony and the high rate of foreclosures and lost employment, even whole families are moving back home with their parents, at least for a while and I don't belive anyone in that situation is proud of it.

However, I think age may have a factor too, I mean if you're 50 and still living at home because you need to be taken care of barring any physical ailment- yeah, that might be a deal breaker, but every situation is different and real specifics of that individual situation would have to be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 AM

12,539 posts, read 7,922,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsherwo View Post
Hmm...that's a good question. It's mostly just my love of personal space and privacy---which we probably wouldn't have at his place if he lives with mommy and daddy---which probably means he'd end up at my house all the time...which just doesn't work for me. Sounds kind of petty, I know, and I don't mean to sound like that, it just wouldn't work for me.

Hi amsherwo,

One would not use the diminutive "mommy and daddy" to describe the arrangement unless they had contempt for it. Why are you trying to pass this off as a mere preference for privacy?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 AM

323 posts, read 525,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I don't know if this was brought up, but in this ecomony and the high rate of foreclosures and lost employment, even whole families are moving back home with their parents, at least for a while and I don't belive anyone in that situation is proud of it.

However, I think age may have a factor too, I mean if you're 50 and still living at home because you need to be taken care of barring any physical ailment- yeah, that might be a deal breaker, but every situation is different and real specifics of that individual situation would have to be considered.
The OP is 25 and asked if he told a girl that he lived with his parents if it'd be a deal-breaker. From the perspective of this 25 year old girl, yes it would be. Understandably, the state of today's economy is a consideration, as is their age and other circumstances that could be driving them to need/want to live with their parents, but to me, whatever the reason, it is still a deal-breaker.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi amsherwo,

One would not use the diminutive "mommy and daddy" to describe the arrangement unless they had contempt for it. Why are you trying to pass this off as a mere preference for privacy?
I was using the terms mommy and daddy basically for ****s and giggles. I've been sick for 4 days and am not in a particularly good mood. Either way, if they live with their parents (at least in the area that I am from/living currently), it would be a deal breaker. The cost of living is not so high here that expecting a 25 year old to have his own place is ridiculous or anything.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Hi amsherwo,

And it's not just a preference for privacy...it's a strong, deep-rooted desire to not have some guy crashing on my couch and watching my tv, eating my food, etc all the damn time b/c we can't go to his house b/c his parents are there.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 AM

24,308 posts, read 13,799,294 times
Quote:
The OP is 25 and asked if he told a girl that he lived with his parents if it'd be a deal-breaker. From the perspective of this 25 year old girl, yes it would be. Understandably, the state of today's economy is a consideration, as is their age and other circumstances that could be driving them to need/want to live with their parents, but to me, whatever the reason, it is still a deal-breaker.
As I was reading your post I was considering my brother, in his early 30's, who travelled so much in his current job he was never home and spent considerable time in two different states he didn't even live it, he knew in 6 months he would be promoted to his new position, which would be in a permanent place and wanted to save for a house, so he ditched the apartment for six months and lived in a room at my mom's for 6 months, maybe home once or twice a month for 3-4 days (tho he paid her to do it) and now everything fell into place as planned. I don't know if that would be considered smart or irresponsiblle to someone he would date.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM

12,539 posts, read 7,922,849 times
Quote:
And it's not just a preference for privacy...it's a strong, deep-rooted desire to not have some guy crashing on my couch and watching my tv, eating my food, etc all the damn time b/c we can't go to his house b/c his parents are there.
Now we are getting somewhere. You have deep rooted assumptions about it. Your post was quite a mess trying to express a casual preferences but you failed to see the expressed contempt.

I am also amused that you would assume such a person would be lying on the couch. The only time I spent in a girls apartment was when I was fixing something of theirs. Of course I was not going out with them either, just helping. One girl I dated was not even allowed to come to my college apartment.

Now I did move out and live in Indy when I was 20. The I ended up moving back and went to college. I came back home to a bad economy and got into grad school. When my father had cancer shortly after, I dropped out and ran his business. After he died in six months, if I did not pay my mother rent to live there she, would lose the house. Mommy did clean up the dishes for me. I did the classic French cooking phase I was going through at the time. When she did get back on her feet from grandma's inheritance, I found my wife and blew some of my wad on world travel and a down payment.
Good luck with the bar fly in the efficiency.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 AM

29,503 posts, read 17,734,678 times
Depends on the person and situation.

I have a friend whose former bf had his own place but only because his mom supported him. He kept saying he'd go back to school and do something with his life etc. but basically liked working part time and living a nice subsidized (by mom) lifestyle. No direction, no initiative.

Her current bf lives with his parents because he is going to school for a 2nd degree and works part-time as well.

As long as you have some direction\reason...school, saving for a house, perhaps helping the parents financially by paying them rent...and not living there because you get free food and can spend your paycheck from subway on pot and play xbox the rest of the time.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Now we are getting somewhere. You have deep rooted assumptions about it. Your post was quite a mess trying to express a casual preferences but you failed to see the expressed contempt.

I am also amused that you would assume such a person would be lying on the couch. The only time I spent in a girls apartment was when I was fixing something of theirs. Of course I was not going out with them either, just helping. One girl I dated was not even allowed to come to my college apartment.

Now I did move out and live in Indy when I was 20. The I ended up moving back and went to college. I came back home to a bad economy and got into grad school. When my father had cancer shortly after, I dropped out and ran his business. After he died in six months, if I did not pay my mother rent to live there she, would lose the house. Mommy did clean up the dishes for me. I did the classic French cooking phase I was going through at the time. When she did get back on her feet from grandma's inheritance, I found my wife and blew some of my wad on world travel and a down payment.
Good luck with the bar fly in the efficiency.
In my experience, the guy somehow always ends up staying at my house and living off of me. I wasn't trying to pass judgement on anybody, I was merely expressing my opinion on the question from the OP. Perhaps if I'd dated someone as handy as you, who was fixing things and contributing around the house, I'd have a little different opinion, but sorry, I don't due to my experiences with this.
Good luck with the bar fly in the efficiency? Wtf is that supposed to mean? I rarely go to bars, nor would I date someone I picked up in one. Nor do I live in an efficiency. I have always had, and do continue to have, a pretty sweet apartment---and it's a 2 bedroom, not an efficiency smartass lol

Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 AM
NSX

865 posts, read 1,090,235 times
Quote:
In my experience, the guy somehow always ends up staying at my house and living off of me. I wasn't trying to pass judgement on anybody, I was merely expressing my opinion on the question from the OP. Perhaps if I'd dated someone as handy as you, who was fixing things and contributing around the house, I'd have a little different opinion, but sorry, I don't due to my experiences with this.
Good luck with the bar fly in the efficiency? Wtf is that supposed to mean? I rarely go to bars, nor would I date someone I picked up in one. Nor do I live in an efficiency. I have always had, and do continue to have, a pretty sweet apartment---and it's a 2 bedroom, not an efficiency smartass lol
You do realize, as sweet as your apartment is, that it's not really yours. It's just the apartment holding company's. I've never understood spending a lot of money on a fancy apartment, it's just that much more money that you're throwing away. Just something to think about before passing judgment on people who choose not to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships