Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times

Advertisements

Is your (or someone you know) largest goals in life are to be married and have a family? I ask because a co-worker thinks that this is all that some women want, and not too much more out of that.

I discussed this with my Mom, and she told me that her goals were similar. She wanted to be a secretary, and after school, she went to school for it. After that she wanted to be a wife and mother, and 10 kids later, she's done that. Now in her retirement she has some light pursuits.

Is this how some women think, and is it valid? I find it kind of hard to believe that that's all some people want. Is it a lack of motivation or laziness? Not saying my mother was lazy, because she was far from it. She worked and raised a family. I just feel in this day and age it'd be different.

Last edited by IZthe411; 05-08-2009 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Strangely enough, it never was. I got married reluctantly because I needed a work permit so my boyfriend and I could be together after being separated by an ocean for 5 long years. Suddenly at age 30 my biological clock went off very loudly, and I had 2 kids over the next 6 years. Now I am divorced with full custody, and although I love my kids, I have no plans to ever marry again.

My only sister never married, and my two best girlfriends are unmarried and childless. Both of my daughters (17 and 11) are career-driven, and never have talked much about weddings, husbands or babies.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
When I was younger -- in my teens and 20s -- I expected that someday I'd be a wife and a mother. Society sort of foists that expectation off on women. I was a wife for a while, but children were not in the cards for me.

Now I'm in my late 30s and my goal in life is to be happy, to always move forward, to go out of this world a better, wiser, more fully-realized version of myself than I was when I came into it.

If another marriage comes my way, fine. If motherhood comes my way -- through adoption, perhaps, or being a stepmom or a foster parent -- then fine. But I no longer consider marriage and children to be "goals."

Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 PM

429 posts, read 1,147,979 times
Truth is, I wanted it all: the family, the career, a social life, a doctorate, all of it. But in reality, it's tough to do everything well. At some point, you have to make choices, maybe work part-time (as I did), maybe turn the kids over to grandma during the day, whatever works. In the end, you can't be everywhere, all the time.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM

57 posts, read 188,305 times
I met all my 'career' goals at age 24, when I completed my first year teaching and already had my masters degree. Now, I am 26, and finding that there are many more 'career' dreams in my future..more school (Phd), teaching at the college level to help train teachers...however, those dreams have come as a result of not being in a relationship or being married.

My ultimate dream is to be a wife and mother. I know I will be happy if that does not happen, but I believe I will not fulfill my lifelong pursuit of being joyous unless I get to have a family of my own.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 PM

149 posts, read 762,103 times
No not at all. If it happens then it happens, and if it doesn't then I won't cry a river (or even a tear). It is not difficult at all to get married and have kids (assuming you're not reproductively challenged). However finding a good husband, raising kids successfully, and being happy with your marriage and family are worthy goals. But since that is so unpredictable I don't think it is good for someone to make those their only goals.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I never imagined I would be married or have children. It was never my dream. I wanted to be in the military and/or law enforcement. I always pictured myself single and protecting people.

Then I met my husband. Once we got serious, I then realized I wanted to have a family with HIM. Although I went down a different path, I definitely feel blessed.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
It's funny, cuz I was always sure I wanted to be a mum, but not so convinced I wanted to be a wife. And, now, I AM a mum and NOT a wife. Yay, me!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
I never really set these items as 'goals'. My son wasn't planned, so obviously being a mom wasn't a goal at the time...even though I can't imagine my life without him now. As far as being a wife is concerned, I believe that people shouldn't necessarily set that as a goal. If they do, and if they're still not married by the time they're in their late 30s, they begin to settle and becoming more lenient on their standards. I would hate to do something like that.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
What do you mean, is that a valid goal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships