Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Why do you suppose that wealthy men in their 60s tend to choose women in their early 40s? I see this a lot in New York. These men are wealthy enough to go a lot younger if they wish. Why don't they, if male attraction is based on fertility? My guess has been that 40 is about as young as they can go "within reason" and not look ridiculous.

Hi OngletNYC,

I would view that as the social pressure component. Self can only go so far until it materially damages the species. 60 year old men, for the most part, do not make the best father for an infant. There is a pressure to keep the species going as well as the individual, and it is a blind spot for many people looking at evo-psych.

There is also blind spot for many women who assume they are doomed in old age. Men prefer young women precisely because they tend to bond to them. So this is more of a problem if the bond is broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 04:07 PM

Men who got better with age? No doubt this guy.

Pierce Brosnan
He was skinny and unfinished. I knew of him of course because my then girl friend liked him as is at the time.

Remington Steele TV Show Cast

Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Men who got better with age? No doubt this guy.

Pierce Brosnan
He was skinny and unfinished. I knew of him of course because my then girl friend liked him as is at the time.

Remington Steele TV Show Cast
Surely you jest... he went down hill, same as we all eventually do!

http://larshindsley.com/stars/young-old-pierce-brosnan.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
I think the idea that men will necessarily date younger is a fallacy. It depends on the man in question, and how much emphasis/value he places on youth.

I am 31, and I sometimes find older women more attractive than younger women. Women in their early twenties seem too baby looking for me, and I often find that as I age, women of contemporaneous age to me seem the most attractive.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 PM

449 posts, read 934,449 times
Ya, they call this "human nature." In the old days women mostly dated older men because this was understood. After all, women can only bare children for so long where as men tend to become richer and more responsible with age.

Like it or not, men are attracted to women primarily for their reproductive qualities. Women are attracted to men for their ability to protect and provide for her and her offspring. So, the combination of older men and younger women was a perfect match.

Or to put it more bluntly, most men still look good well into their 40s - women peak in their teens or twenties and often hit a wall at 30. While some women look good at 45, there aren't many.

Good thing the Feminists came along and did away with all that outdated conventional wisdom. Note the obvious sarcasm.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Surely you jest... he went down hill, same as we all eventually do!

Yes, he is down hill now, but it was not until he did his Bond films that he peaked. No way he could pull off the same appeal in his 20s.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Yes, he is down hill now, but it was not until he did his Bond films that he peaked. No way he could pull off the same appeal in his 20s.
True. But let's be honest. you, and most men claim that "men get better looking with age" and clearly that is false. Men and women both climb, hit a plateau, then head downhill fast. Non-wealthy men tend to start heading downward after 35 or so (and wealthy/Hollywood types go to 45). The reason they continue to climb in terms of attractiveness has nothing to do with looks, it is earning power and confidence, both of which really get going after 40.

A single, emotionally healthy 45 year old male of average looks is an 8 if he has a good job. If he loses the job and is unemployed for a year, his number plummets to a 3.

How do 60 year old men approach me? They offer to pay my rent. Why? They know as well as I do that they have deteriorated so much that money and power is the best thing they have to offer.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Like it or not, men are attracted to women primarily for their reproductive qualities.
Ha-ha, another reproductionist! Plenty of men are done with children and there are more and more who don't want them in the first place. They're young, too, and don't want their peers for this precise reason.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think the idea that men will necessarily date younger is a fallacy. It depends on the man in question, and how much emphasis/value he places on youth.

I am 31, and I sometimes find older women more attractive than younger women. Women in their early twenties seem too baby looking for me, and I often find that as I age, women of contemporaneous age to me seem the most attractive.
Hi samston,

And there will be fewer and fewer of you.

Marrying women 15 years younger maximized men's evolutionary fitness in historical Sami

If you don't believe in natural selection, then it will not impress you.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Hi samston,

And there will be fewer and fewer of you.

Marrying women 15 years younger maximized men's evolutionary fitness in historical Sami

If you don't believe in natural selection, then it will not impress you.
And gee, look how overwhelmingly the Sami have taken over the world. They're not, you know, tucked into the tiniest, northernmost, most barren, coldest, harshest tiny area of Scandinavia or anything... MUST be THE evolutionary way to go; the sheer numbers and the strength to hold a tiny outcropping above the Arctic Circle just prove it.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

And I have nothing about the Sami. I think their culture is fascinating. It's also almost completely...gone.

So obviously this age difference between men and women did very little, if anything, toward their evolutionary continuation. Individual, maybe. As a race/culture/society? Oh come on, man. How many Sami are there now???

By the way, one section of this abstract all but says that very young-married women "reproduced more successfully" simply because after that point...a lot of women died, period, end of story. (slapping forehead again) I personally would assume WAY lower fecundity in dead women v. living women. But that's just me...

It also explicitly points out age differences of 4, 6 or even 8 years -- with the man being older -- as being a "natural" tendency, and this may well be true. But 15 or more years producing "greater fitness" -- and using a tiny, continuously-pushed-farther-into-the-wilds, incredibly isolated culture to prove it? Oh help me. (Read the abstract, folks.)

By the way, hey, I'm no scientist, but...if this age difference marriage society had such positive "reproductive fitness," why did their numbers dwindle year on year and century on century? Are these not obvious questions? Le sigh...Also, to the OP: The mean age difference wasn't 15 years, it was 13+, and that was the mean; the optimal was explicitly stated as 10 years...a far cry from what you seem to be "proving" here. Yes, we all know that often, if he has a job and any sort of looks at all, a man can look around and land a 10-years-younger woman. The news here is...?

Last edited by JerZ; 11-19-2010 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships