Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Or you could say "Let me think about what you've just said. I'll get back to you." That way you can formulate what you want to say, and they know something is brewing up there.

You could also hang out with me, and I'll shock you with the most outrageous things and you could get valuable practice in saying what you want to say! (Just kidding about this one.)

First you give and then you snatch it away.

I'm kidding too. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
I too don't appreciate these ambushes.

You might want to arm yourself with a few short one liners. And feel free to use them, remember it's the other party who started this manipulation game.

Like: "What an odd comment!" "That is just BS!" "Are you drunk/stoned/off your meds again?"

That puts the ball in their court and meanwhile you can walk out.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
You could always clarify later on that you didn't agree with it, if it comes up that they assumed you did agree (obviously they have somehow).

"How does one respond to something so over the top?"

"I'm not going to defend/justify/explain myself over something so assenine."

"I have two words for that; crack kills."

Old 05-10-2009, 02:38 AM

670 posts, read 2,113,969 times
I often deflect having to give an instant response about information that I wasn't prepared for by asking a question, ie, "Really. How did you deal with that?" and then usually asking a question gives me thinking time to give an opinion if I feel the need. For example: "Really. How did you deal with that? Because personally if someone I knew was heavily involved in drugs and refused to recognize they had a problem or seek help, I probably wouldn't stay friends very long with that person." And then I listen to what they have to say about my response.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes things people share with me or ask me, even when they are very good things, can take me by surprise and leave me speechless, unable to process my thoughts fast enough and find the words to respond.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM

326 posts, read 880,535 times
At least replace that silence with a simple sentence like " Oh no!"

Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
you guys are great... I'll see if I can apply some of these ideas!!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:17 PM

454 posts, read 688,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Or you could say "Let me think about what you've just said. I'll get back to you." That way you can formulate what you want to say, and they know something is brewing up there.
well just a second....

The OP is not suggesting she has TIME to go into another room and think about it, she is talking about on the spot stuff here. Saying to hold on I'll come back to it is something you say to a supervisor who asks you if you can work on your day off

She is suggesting spur of the moment, slick comments that people say when they arent thinking. For example, if someone walks by you on the street and makes a rude remark to you, you have about 2 or 3 seconds to say something back or they've just walked all over you.

I know that feeling. Sometimes you just get too shocked. Best thing to say when someone says that is be like, wait, wait wait..HOLDUP. Then all of sudden what you want to say will meet you alot faster. And you become assertive instead of a doormat. Thats why I hate being silent about things when I probably shouldnt. Tell them off on the spot.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
You could also say,"What would make you say such a thing?"

Or if it's some smart aleck on the street you could say,"Not having a good day, are we?"

This happens to me once in awhile, too. People say the most idiotic, rude, unexpected things and I don't know quite how to respond.

On the other hand, a long time ago I read a quotation somewhere that said,"You can't misquote silence." So in other words, even if you're at a loss for words at someone else's unexpected rudeness and crudeness, you don't have to respond to their terrible comments. They can't hold anything against you...because you didn't say anything.

They do make themselves look stupid...because they're rude and coarse.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
I wish I could get the hang of how to just bust out laughing, that would probably cover most of those situations

Old 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM

454 posts, read 688,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
I wish I could get the hang of how to just bust out laughing, that would probably cover most of those situations

Although that does put alot of people on their asses, it still comes off as slightly un-assertive. When Im upset people need to know it. Being silent, laughing, or anything other than telling them off doesnt do any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships