Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:33 PM

232 posts, read 594,139 times

Advertisements

When a I asked a while back about the best way to introduce yourself to a girl, a lot of you said "just say hi."

Well, I have been trying that for the past couple of days, but it hasn't been working.

I've been going to my normal spots; the cafe, the bar, the book store, the supermarket. If I saw a girl who was attractive standing in line or walking past me in the opposite direction, I've been trying to be bold by simply saying "hi."

Some of them said nothing and just looked confused. Most of them said "hi" back though, some with a smile, but either way, they all just went back to what they were normally doing as if nothing had happened.

This is why I said not to tell me to "just say hi;" that I needed something more creative and unique.

What comes after "hi?"

Last edited by Cyanosphere; 05-10-2009 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
A+ for trying. How far away are you when you say "Hi"? If you are close enough to start a conversation ask a very benign question. "What did you just order?" "What are you reading?", etc. Completely innocent questions which still allows both you and the person to walk away saving face. If she's interested she'll continue the conversation, if not she'll give short answers and be looking for an exit, give it to her, NEXT!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 PM

168 posts, read 531,865 times
If some guy came up to me and just said "Hi" I'd be a little creeped out. I mean do you just say "Hi" and then stand there? The best thing to do is try to start up a conversation. I know it sounds mundane but it could be on anything from the weather to how long it's taking the train to get there. Most (not all) people will respond either by agreeing and/or offering an observation of their own and you take it from there. The key though is not to make it look like you're trying to pick her up. If you said "Hi" and got a response, but then she went back to what she was doing, that tells me you missed your cue to say something else and get a conversation started.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 PM

179 posts, read 610,789 times
One of the best way to talk to a complete stranger is to start a conversation that is relative to your surroundings.

Another thing is to act like you're talking to forget about the whole attraction part and to focus on it just being genuinely interested in the person.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,027 times
you need to do some fast talking. More like, "hi, howya doing! it's a great day to be at the bookstore right, I just found myself a great read about zombie hunting flesh eating vampires who are hunted by college coeds half of whom die in the hunt while the other half attempt to pro-create! What'd you browse so far?" with a big smile.

Something like that. you gotta be fast, because otherwise most people just hear the "hi" as a "hi" and keep going.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Some women are catty, paranoid, and shallow, others enjoy conversation. So just keep trying until you find a nice woman.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:56 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
"Hi, how are you?"
(Doing well, how about you?)
"Not bad, are you having a good day?"
(Why yes, I am....)

Lots of possibilities. Ask questions that require a response and build on it. But always keep a a balance. Too much small talk can seem desperate.

You guys have it hard, I feel for ya.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Women have it real hard if they aren't 'hot'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"Hi, how are you?"
(Why yes, I am....)

Lots of possibilities. Ask questions that require a response and build on it. But always keep a a balance. Too much small talk can seem desperate.

You guys have it hard, I feel for ya.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Women have it real hard if they aren't 'hot'.
Yeah, that's true too.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:05 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,862,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
When a I asked a while back about the best way to introduce yourself to a girl, a lot of you said "just say hi."

Well, I have been trying that for the past couple of days, but it hasn't been working.

I've been going to my normal spots; the cafe, the bar, the book store, the supermarket. If I saw a girl who was attractive standing in line or walking past me in the opposite direction, I've been trying to be bold by simply saying "hi."

Some of them said nothing and just looked confused. Most of them said "hi" back though, some with a smile, but either way, they all just went back to what they were normally doing as if nothing had happened.

This is why I said not to tell me to "just say hi;" that I needed something more creative and unique.

What comes after "hi?"
Did I not tell you what to do? Like an idiot you COMPLETELY ignored me. Most of the other posters are female and have absolutely no experience in dating women. That is what happens when you take women's advice on dating: you get stepped on and pushed to the side. Women live in a fantasy land and men live in reality. Just the way it is.

My advice was to find something unique about the person and talk about that. Just ask them questions, women LOVE to talk about themselves. If you just get them talking about themselves it will work good for you. After 5 minutes of blabbing tell them you have to go and give them your contact information. TELL them to call you or add you on myspace/facebook. When you leave tell them you are going to some place cool (like law class, the gym, etc.)

Once you've got second contact you need to start being more sexual with me. Use indirect sexual comments like how good their physical features look. You need to make it important to show that you have a sexual interest in them otherwise you'll get pushed to the friend zone. After that second contact you can gauge their views on sex and relationships. If they give any signs of being a prude, get out. If their emphasis is on having a good time and having fun that is a good sign.

Don't be too hard on yourself, just have fun with it. When you are having fun and enjoying yourself you will present yourself as being more confident. You'll mess up the first couple time but after a while you'll gain experience at it and it will be problem for you. I've chatted up hundreds of women and it is no problem for me anymore.

Quote:
"Hi, how are you?"
(Why yes, I am....)
wrong wrong and wrong. That is way too generic. This is how you do it.

Hot chick walks into a room with a bag that has french designs on it (Eiffel tower etc.)

ME: Wow, that is a really cool paris bag you have. Where did you get it?

girl: My friend bought it for me when I was in french class.

Me: That is so cool I thought you went to paris or something, have you ever been to paris?

Girl: No, but I always wanted to go *girl starts blabbing*

*after 5 minutes of chat like the above*

Me: Hey, it was nice chatting with you. You seem like an interesting person. Call me some time *hand her a peice of paper with your number on it*. I have to go to the gym.

Last edited by killer2021; 05-10-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships