Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,095,236 times

Advertisements

while posting on another thread, I thought of this and surmized it might be a very good topic of awareness and/or discussion.

if your single and a man, your much luckier then most, b/c a lot of married women fall all over a single man and want to mother him, but being a single woman, has it's down side. Most married women, not all, but some are so darn immature and to jealous to invite a single woman into her home, or to social events, etc. Why? Because she is intimidated by a single woman...

My girlfriend worked in a retirement home and saw the same thing. She said it was very sad. All these couples spent most of their time together, and when a woman's husband died, the women of those couples estranged her. Yet, she concluded, if it was a man who was left behind, those men were swarmed by married women, who wanted to take care of him, fix him up with other women. How cruel...and the worst part is, she said, she would watch the widowed women, and see how lonely they were, but the married women were so insecure and scared that they wven withheld compassion for that women?????

One day my son and I were talking on the phone. He said they were having a party. I said wonderful, whose coming? He replied...several of their friends names, which were all couples, and a single friend. He said they didn't know if they were going to invite him or not. I asked why? He explained that they thought he might feel out of place because it was all couples. I said, "Don't make a decission for him, ask him and allow him to decide but definately extend the invitation". After listening, he agreed.

Why is it human beings can be so unaware or unthinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,954,823 times
Sounds like you're looking at things through a magnifying glass and amplifying the actions of some to generalize the whole. I find it difficult to respond to posts that make such general accusations about one sex or the other.

Personally, I loathe feeling like I'm mothering a man so I don't do it. I may have in my 20s when I was just learning how to be in a relationship but come on, we're all here learning. We all learn at our own pace and through our own circumstances. I have too much to learn myself to sit around staring at others through a microscope trying to see if they're getting it right. I don't even have it right yet.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,806,626 times
You have a lot to learn.

Women can be particularly vicious to each other - so much more than they are to men.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 AM
miu

17,763 posts, read 40,031,713 times
That's why I've always had more male (platonic) friends than woman friends. Women (both single and married) tend to be very catty and competitive. My guy friends have always been like brothers to me and very supportive.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,393,314 times
So true! Married women can be interested in single guys to the point of obsession (in a motherly way) especially if they're hoping to set them up with someone. I've noticed this in particular with married mothers being extremely friendly and even getting physical with me (hugging and touching) if they have a single daughter. The moment their daughter is together with some other guy the mother suddenly realizes I (or her husband) might take all the touching the wrong way and usually pulls back to a cool distance.

Younger married women are also typically very outgoing toward single guys and all the more so if they find those guys attractive. It's a cruel joke of life that when you're single and looking most people are nervous about approaching people they find attractive. But when you're happily together with someone you're no longer afraid of talking to those same people.

Come to think of it, if you're a single guy and interested in being introduced to lots of single girls, it's probably not a bad idea to befriend married women and let as many of them as possible realize that you're a great guy.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Sounds like you're looking at things through a magnifying glass and amplifying the actions of some to generalize the whole. I find it difficult to respond to posts that make such general accusations about one sex or the other.

Personally, I loathe feeling like I'm mothering a man so I don't do it. I may have in my 20s when I was just learning how to be in a relationship but come on, we're all here learning. We all learn at our own pace and through our own circumstances. I have too much to learn myself to sit around staring at others through a microscope trying to see if they're getting it right. I don't even have it right yet.
I thank you for participating and for your opinion, but I don't believe I was generalizing, nor amplifying as I am now 60 years old and not only have had a lot of experience with this, but have had conversations with other single women who feel the very same way. There are a few who have really good and secure girl friends, but for the majority, it is this way. If you have not experienced this, then feel relieved and blessed.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You have a lot to learn.

Women can be particularly vicious to each other - so much more than they are to men.
Yes, they certainly can...and I've not only posted this for conversation, opinions and discussion, but perhaps, to wake up some of those women who read this and are doing the same thing, but do not realize it or intentionally mean to hurt anyone.

And yes, they are so much more generous & supportive to the male population

Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That's why I've always had more male (platonic) friends than woman friends. Women (both single and married) tend to be very catty and competitive. My guy friends have always been like brothers to me and very supportive.
I have perhaps 3 very close women friends, by my choice. The rest of them are aquanitences. There is one at work, a pain in the butt, she wants what everyone else has, always, and she copies people all the time.

But yes, women not all, but most, can be a real pain in the butt.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
So true! Married women can be interested in single guys to the point of obsession (in a motherly way) especially if they're hoping to set them up with someone. I've noticed this in particular with married mothers being extremely friendly and even getting physical with me (hugging and touching) if they have a single daughter. The moment their daughter is together with some other guy the mother suddenly realizes I (or her husband) might take all the touching the wrong way and usually pulls back to a cool distance.

Younger married women are also typically very outgoing toward single guys and all the more so if they find those guys attractive. It's a cruel joke of life that when you're single and looking most people are nervous about approaching people they find attractive. But when you're happily together with someone you're no longer afraid of talking to those same people.

Come to think of it, if you're a single guy and interested in being introduced to lots of single girls, it's probably not a bad idea to befriend married women and let as many of them as possible realize that you're a great guy.
LOL, I see you have it down to a science....

It is enlightening to see that not all men have their head in the sand

Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,806,626 times
Quote:
Same here. As a young adult, I just naturally gravitated more towards guys than girls - I had some really great guy friends, even though they were very flirtatious and would drop their "hints" of something more than friendship.

I often found myself confronting immediate dislike from other women - just on the basis of looks, which is absolutely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships