Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That's interesting to know. I've been in those situations before.
honestly I don't know which was worse-- the "I don't want anybody to know about you" attitude, or the "I want everyone to see what belongs to me" attitude.
both sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, my Mom knew better than to ask such questions. That's why getting them from strangers drives me even more batty. The last hairdresser I went to wanted to talk about ex-husbands and current dates! Hello! Last time I checked I didn't book a shrink. This was the first and last visit. I can't stand this type of idle chat with complete strangers. Besides, I go there to get my hair cut and relax in the meantime, not to listen to your non-stop BS.
Sometimes my hairdresser is the only one I tell. She doesn't know any of the players.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Sometimes my hairdresser is the only one I tell. She doesn't know any of the players.
People have different preferences, I suppose. That's how hairdressers develop these annoying habits. But after getting a few mono-syllable responses and no questions in return, you'd think even a dumb rock would know to stop!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
The i don't want anybody to know about you is far worse. It feels horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
honestly I don't know which was worse-- the "I don't want anybody to know about you" attitude, or the "I want everyone to see what belongs to me" attitude.
both sucked.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The i don't want anybody to know about you is far worse. It feels horrible.
yeah I know

Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
On another forum of questions and answers, a lady is suspicious that her boy friend has not told anyone in his family nor his circle of friends about his relationship with her. She says that they have been dating for about 6 months and that she has told all her friends and family about the relationship. She thinks he is not really sincere.

I thought about it and thought back to my dating years and if I recall correctly, I never told anyone in my circle of friends nor family members about the men I dated. I didn't think to tell others about my choice of friends regardless of gender. I dated a man for 4 years, saw him every Sunday and never told anyone. But, my family was in another state, so why would I? I wasn't anticipating marriage and neither was he. We were just very regular intimacy buddies. I also dated a man off and on for 14 years and never told anyone I worked with other than to hint that I had a buddy to go fishing with.

Now I'm curious.

So tell me, do you tell all your friends and family about your friends or the people you are dating? Are you male or female?
It depends on how serious the relationship is. But back to your friend. If she wants a serious relationship, she needs to tell him this and stop sleeping with him until he makes the type of commitment she is looking for. Until then, she should date other men until one steps forward with a serious proposal.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Default To Tell or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
So tell me, do you tell all your friends and family about your friends or the people you are dating? Are you male or female?
I don't like to tell family of friends about someone I am dating until I know it's more of a sure thing. Even then, I'm rather private about the details. I'd think that most women would be into talking about their new man in their life sooner than a guy.

And actually, I would think that if a guy is serious about the new woman he is dating, he isn't going to be talking about her very much to anyone, sort of a respect thing. On the other hand, if she's just a fling, then I'd think a guy would be quicker to tell his friends... as he boasts of his exploits.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM

454 posts, read 688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't like to tell family of friends about someone I am dating until I know it's more of a sure thing.
Right, I've met many friends who go through men like nothing. Then, they turn out to not be serious and guess what? The friends hate the x 'guy' (dare I say boyfriend, if it ever was). It makes him look bad...

No in reality, the guy had no intention of being with her, only for fun...but she introduced, or he introduced her too quickly to friends. It goes both ways.

Oh, and in addition, I HATE introducing myself to their friends or me to theirs because friends talk too much ****! They start making little comments afterwards and next thing you know, you're doubting him, or he starts doubting me just because some friend was jealous. I had a friend who was always, always always jealous whenever guys would come and approach me, even try to throw herself at them and 'intercept' them. It took me awhile to figure out to keep her as far from my relationships/booty calls as possible

Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 PM

103 posts, read 399,190 times
Same here OP. Well sort of.

I don't believe in introducing someone to friends and family unless there's something to tell (e.g. serious bf of 2+ years).

Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
My ex told his mom after about 6 months. He really didn't have to. He wanted to. I was happy he did. It made me feel special in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships