U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 AM

1,082 posts, read 904,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I think many men want to marry and have children before 30 so they can enjoy fatherhood while still young and healthy. Plus we all want to see our children graduated high school, college and then get married. We want to be physically active when we become grandparents as well.
YES! Someone gets it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:14 AM

4,983 posts, read 5,325,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
At age 30, you have a greater chance of getting attacked by a terrorist than getting married. And according to the US Census Bureau, by age 30, over 70% of Americans have been married.

It seems higher as you age. I think at 50, 98% are married.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 AM

9,924 posts, read 8,920,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
YES! Someone gets it!
Someone gets what?

You're not implying that those who choose not to follow this course are ignorant are you?

If that's what you and stac (and anybody else that subscribes to this way of going through life) want to do then by all means go for it. Your life, your choices. Anybody else that doesn't want it aren't stupid or lacking you know, they just choose different things. WHICH is entirely their decision to make. Doesn't make them stupid or smart, just different.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 PM

1,082 posts, read 904,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Someone gets what?

You're not implying that those who choose not to follow this course are ignorant are you?
I'm sorry but anyone that puts their career before their relationships does not get the point of life.

My point (which you might not have seen a few pages back) is that a lot of people who marry later on in life do so because they were focused on their careers when they were younger. Then later on they have trouble finding someone, and they start to complain. They wanted to work hard and play hard when they were younger. If you want that your entire life, maybe that's okay, but if you (as a 25 year old) do want to get married one day and you have a casual attitude to relationships you might be pushing that person you were meant to be with away. I think you should always be open-minded and consider every option that comes to you at face value. If you meet a great guy or girl at age 22, why push them away if you start to get serious? A lot of people do that, and frankly, I think that is dumb.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM

27,237 posts, read 27,184,694 times
Perhaps relationships aren't quite as important as we make them out to be. There's always time to find someone, and when it's meant to happen, it will.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,228,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Perhaps relationships aren't quite as important as we make them out to be. There's always time to find someone, and when it's meant to happen, it will.

Perhaps I'm not seeing a grander vision here, but the comparison is much like saying "reading is not as important as we make it out to be".

Supposedly justifying your existence by finding a romantic relationship? No, of course not. Nor is being miserable without one.

The cliche rhetoric and catch phrases I seem to always see spouted to both genders does make me a good bit. The usual feel-good message being, work 50hrs a week in a cubicle with little contact aside from the occasional hour long happy-hour with work friends and then rush home to edit your facebook page and it will happen sometime.

If your not happy with how your life is going relationship wise do something to change it, same as with any other aspect of your life. In my personal opinion people really need to view it more as like being in shape. Yes, some at least look relatively in it without trying, but that just is not so for most in our modern society. Change venues, do different things.

Quote:
that a lot of people who marry later on in life do so because they were focused on their careers
My view might be skewed here, but IMO that seems to be more with one gender than the other at this point in time. Not because of anything other than buying into said cliche's a bit more frequently.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:44 PM

4,232 posts, read 8,338,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
i will be thirty in a few months time and i reckon i should have been married by now. most persons my age are, or have been.

but i know what i have to do to change this. i've started to get to understand women better, so i'm going to make more women friends. and from there, maybe in a few years i'd get married.
I don't think men should get married before 30 at the minimum. Actually, women either. I think the 20's are a great time to finish education, travel & have the time of your life. Marriage in your thirties is cool, IMO, because you've had your twenties to yourself and you should know what turns you on/off in all faucets of your life; if you don't know what you want by then, you may never know.

People get tied down too soon & then regret it as they hit their 40's. They think they've missed something; they did: Experience.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 PM

4,838 posts, read 5,187,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It seems higher as you age. I think at 50, 98% are married.
I wouldn't trust your hunch on this.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

27,237 posts, read 27,184,694 times
I don't spend any time with people FROM work, OUTSIDE work. Work is work, social is social, and the twain shall not meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships