Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 PM

142 posts, read 279,229 times

Advertisements

Sitting here watching "The Christmas Shoes". The kid is running the shoes home to his dying mom. I know its only a movie but I'm crying anyway.

Also two of my classmates from high school have died in the last three weeks of heart attacks. Both sudden. One lady died in restroom of an airplane. She was skinny and in good health.

To my teens I'm old. I don't feel old at 43, my dad at 83 is old. Feeling fragile tonight. Usually I'm Tigger, but right now Eyore is large and in charge.

Looking around my home I'm thinking about whether or not my kids will toss my stuff. Will they remember me to their kids fondly or never mention me? Have I mattered? Will someone visit my grave because they missed me? Will some idiot come by to spit because I hurt their feeling?

If someone tells you that you have only a few months or days or hours left to live, what would you do? Clear the air? Tell or keep secrets? Make a will? Change the one you got? Make copies of family pictures and write on the backs who's in the pictures? Tell someone you love them? Or screw as much as you can and let someone else clean up after your death?

How would you face death?

Mopey as hell. Haven't drank in years. Feel like it tonight. Volka and orange juice till I hug the toilet. No more damn sappy movies.

Settling for whip cream from the can chased down with diet Mountain Dew. I'm going to get off of here and put in a Van Damn movie. Watching his legs in shorts always puts me in a better mood. Good night people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,132,636 times
Well the only thing I've ever really wanted to do is wake everyday and say- "I love what I do for a living".

I am slowly but surely making that happen. I'd also like to spend a great deal of time in another country part of the year.

R

Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 PM

168 posts, read 530,722 times
Sorry about the deaths of your two friends. I lost a friend last week too. I was really sad about it for a few days, but I'm feeling better. I don't know how I'd spend my last few moments. I'd like to think that I would spend them with abandon, but I'd probably just spend them reviewing my life and worrying over every little thing I did wrong. Yeah, your kids think you're old at 43 just like you think your dad is old at 83, but kids who are younger than your kids think your kids are old. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,941,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws917 View Post
but I'd probably just spend them reviewing my life and worrying over every little thing I did wrong
Why in the world would you do that?! Who cares at this point...

Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,585,110 times
Beth, death is no less real at the age of 2 than it is at the age of 82. Go visit a cemetary today and look at the tombstones. You're going to see a range of ages, starting at ages measured in weeks and months, not years. That's the human predicament. The small spark of life we have in us is ever fleeting. What's the difference between dying today or 80 years from now? No matter how you look at it, life is short -- however, it needn't be nasty and brutish. It could be a thing of dramatic beauty, tragedy or comedy. You pick. It's your life. Have fun with it.

Get used to the fact that you have no control over what will happen to you after your death or how you'll be remembered. Be a good person, but do that for you. The best way to be happy is to be virtuous. (The idea that sinners laugh more than the saints is flawed.) Here's the funny thing though .. you can be a saintly mom only to raise kids who despise you and spit on your grave. You can't really control that. Just get your kicks while you're here, Beth, and let Nature work out the rest.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:55 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,182,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Well the only thing I've ever really wanted to do is wake everyday and say- "I love what I do for a living".
That's funny, my only real goal is to wake up every morning and love WHO I'm doing that morning.

But that's just me.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:12 AM

19,229 posts, read 15,095,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Beth, death is no less real at the age of 2 than it is at the age of 82. Go visit a cemetary today and look at the tombstones. You're going to see a range of ages, starting at ages measured in weeks and months, not years. That's the human predicament. The small spark of life we have in us is ever fleeting. What's the difference between dying today or 80 years from now? No matter how you look at it, life is short -- however, it needn't be nasty and brutish. It could be a thing of dramatic beauty, tragedy or comedy. You pick. It's your life. Have fun with it.

Get used to the fact that you have no control over what will happen to you after your death or how you'll be remembered. Be a good person, but do that for you. The best way to be happy is to be virtuous. (The idea that sinners laugh more than the saints is flawed.) Here's the funny thing though .. you can be a saintly mom only to raise kids who despise you and spit on your grave. You can't really control that. Just get your kicks while you're here, Beth, and let Nature work out the rest.
Not much to add to that...

Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,970,403 times
If I knew I were going to die .... I'd take up smoking and drinking!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
If I knew I were going to die .... I'd take up smoking and drinking!
Hate to break this to ya, but your gunna die... So will that be brown bag and the carton of menthols, or..?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:52 AM

There are only 2 constants in our universe. Entropy and taxes.

Both suck the life from everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships