Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:51 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,376 times

Advertisements

There is this woman in HR, about 35, who I like. she is witty, bright and is a classy dresser and has style. We talk now and then, and she seems like a nice person. We also have in common liking rock music, and having familial roots in the same place.

I don't work in HR, but I want to ask her out for a drink to get to know her better.

How should I go about doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I want to ask her out for a drink

"Would you like to go out for a drink 'insert day here'?"

It really can be that simple.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:55 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times
Quote:
There is this woman in HR, about 35, who I like. she is witty, bright and is a classy dresser and has style. We talk now and then, and she seems like a nice person. We also have in common liking rock music, and having familial roots in the same place.

I don't work in HR, but I want to ask her out for a drink to get to know her better.

How should I go about doing this?
First, you should never bring romance into your work life

Second, SHE WORKS IN HR. She could build a case on you so fast for harrassment that you would be out of a job before MAY ends

My advice would be for you to SAY NOTHING

Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,376 times
I don't get how it is harassment. workplace dating may not always be wise, but it's still common.

But if it can get me into trouble, I wouldn't risk it.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Quote:
I don't get how it is harassment. workplace dating may not always be wise, but it's still common.

But if it can get me into trouble, I wouldn't risk it.
Nothing risky here, dude. Asking her to grab a bite does not account for rape

Increase the music talk, then ask her to grab lunch some time.

Or.......... fake a payroll/HR problem. Try to refer an imaginary friend. Fake a resume or something, or get your friends to help you. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Act. It must be oscar-worthy.

Thank her for clearing your doubt, accepting/hopefully rejecting a miserable resume. Make it miserable.

"Thanks so much, you know I must buy you lunch for helping me out, you free some time?"

I have a Ph.D in charming office ladies. Keep me posted

Old 05-19-2009, 04:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
You should break the ice with her by asking her of she hates her parents and wish they would burn in hell for all eternity. You might also want to ask her if she has problems with everyone staring and laughing at her.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
Don't, "ask her out."

What you need to do is establish some sort of communication link with her. Just chat her up alittle and before you leave give her your phone number of facebook profile.

Makes it alot easier to contact her. Also you can just casually talk with her over the phone which makes her more comfortable around you.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

Second, SHE WORKS IN HR. She could build a case on you so fast for harrassment that you would be out of a job before MAY ends

Uhm, what? A good percentage of people that stick are met at work. I can understand using that as a ground-rule for some, and if it's someone you have to face everyday, then yes, might be a good rule to follow simply due to the awkwardness that could ensue should either you be outright told no, or it not working out for whatever reason later.

People have seen far too much tabloid turd, asking someone for a drink, stating you have an interest in someone hardly constitutes the "Is this a pubic-hair in my coke" Thomas deal.

Do people really think this way? Or do they feel they just lack the tact to say or do something that would not be considered offensive?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You should break the ice with her by asking her of she hates her parents and wish they would burn in hell for all eternity. You might also want to ask her if she has problems with everyone staring and laughing at her.
Good post! LOL!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

This is good advice, but I disagree with the "all or nothing" last sentence.

You need to get it to "friends" level first. I seriously think that most people who have linked up romantically in the workplace have COLLABORATED on something. That collaboration is what brought down the walls. At that point, you have (theoretically) worked past the harrassment issue that could come from "hey, ya wanna go out?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships