Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I think my wife figured out I was not some imprudent twit and I had my finances in order.
She probably did her research and rifled thru your bills to make sure you paid them on time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We're not talking first dates, we're talking the long-term commitment of marriage.

Why wouldn't I marry a guy who I didn't know their income or credit rating? Well gee, let's start with the thought of buying or renting a home to live in. Not going to happen if the guy has no income or bad credit.

Hmmm, and then there's the good old IRS, who would think nothing of seizing a joint tax return for back taxes, even if the wife always paid hers.

And then we have judgements, they will attach to any jointly owned property, even if one spouse had nothing to do with it. On top of that in a community property state, "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine."

I wouldn't go into any type of partnership, be it business or marriage without knowing the finances of the other party. And frankly anyone going into a marriage thinking their income should be a secret isn't ready for that type of commitment or level of trust.
Hi annerk,

I suppose it could not hurt just before marriage. Though as I said it wasn't necessary. There are no records of cruelty to old girls friends, torturing animals or drug history etc. My brother did actually owe back taxes from his first wife. The problem was he should have already known since he ignored all the other signs. Only the odd socio-path actually can hide their personality for any length of time. Many people will even tell you they are bad. Most people just can't disengage from the emotional investment they have made.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:04 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I would certainly think that dating would be lengthy enough that some financial matters would be evident - unless you are marrying a perfect stranger. But no, I don't believe these things have any place as a determining factor prior to marriage. Like I said, just my two cents.

My husband and I dated for 14 years and we never once discussed our income nor debt. Neither of us made much and we both knew it.

I can't even imagine asking anyone how much they make. It sounds very wrong on every level.
Hmm. I have no idea how I would have stayed married for the last 34 years if my wife didn't know how much I make, what that can reasonably be expected to buy, what my future financial prospects were, and how much I hoped to save for retirement. These are basics, as important as deciding what religion (or, in my case, lack of one) to raise our kids.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
What are their jobs?
If it's a genius type PhD that only makes university coin, I'd take Mr Handsome.
I can't handle stupid, no matter how rich. Which I don't consider $150k, btw.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
I'll hopefully make 72 K/annum out of college, and would prefer women that have a higher salary than me.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:24 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Hmm. I have no idea how I would have stayed married for the last 34 years if my wife didn't know how much I make, what that can reasonably be expected to buy, what my future financial prospects were, and how much I hoped to save for retirement. These are basics, as important as deciding what religion (or, in my case, lack of one) to raise our kids.
I'm amazed. Why are these threads resurrected from 2009, FIVE years ago??

We already have enough of the same threads spewing the same garbage.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,802 times
i have neither so does that mean I'm undateable?

Old 09-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I'm amazed. Why are these threads resurrected from 2009, FIVE years ago??

We already have enough of the same threads spewing the same garbage.
I didn't know there was a bandwidth shortage. If you don't like old threads, don't read them.

I posted after finding this thread in the "Active Threads from Around the Forum" sidebar.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 PM

122 posts, read 159,492 times
I'm a good looking guy, 41 and a teacher. I'm realatively recently divorced. I have no problem attracting women.

Then they find out I'm a teacher.

Then they are gone.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
I'm a good looking guy, 41 and a teacher. I'm realatively recently divorced. I have no problem attracting women.

Then they find out I'm a teacher.

Then they are gone.

Hope this helps.
You don't want those women. Teachers make a middle-class income and have job security. What's wrong with that?

My ex-boss, who made in seven figures when she retired, was married to a teacher. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships