U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:52 PM

42,846 posts, read 52,712,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Just go to a place like fling.com and hook up and ask the women to pay. They seem desperate enough.
What kind of a place is that? Sugar Mommas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,830,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What kind of a place is that? Sugar Mommas?
Something like that.LOL.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Something like that.LOL.
Well, the men look for:

Looking For Fetish, Group Sex, Sexual Relations, Online Flirting, and Other

Should've tried the women first because I was cut off on the 2nd search. This practice annoys the hell out of me!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM

3,193 posts, read 4,391,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
3) For those that say the guy should always pay: It's 2009. It seems like women between graduating college and the age of 30 or 35, basically prior to having kids, going on maternity leave, etc. have basically the same earning power as men in the same age group. Yes, a guy should be able to pay for himself on a date if he asks you out. He CAN treat, but is not required, if he asks you out. Those women that think the guy should always pay - I'd be interested to know your age and your job. I'm not saying to list it, and I'm not saying there's not something called courtesy if you're looking for a long term relationship. There is also something called be fiscally responsible. I don't think it's fair for a guy to pay for everything for several dates that lead nowhere - I'm not talking sexually, Killer can handle that topic if he chooses, I'm talking about if both people on the date are looking for a long-term relationship. It doesn't make the guy cheap to not always pay. It doesn't make the guy a "good provider" if he always pays. To read the action of "always pays" equating to "showing he's a good provider" is pretty ridiculous. Hey, maybe the guy wants to date a girl, put in the time to get to know her, and maybe it will lead to something long term, maybe marriage, maybe kids, maybe buying a house? Isn't it smarter, and doesn't it show a guy is a good provider to say I'm saving for this, this, and this? What's a decent engagement ring these days? $5k-$10k? Hopefully all this is considered when girls expect guys to pay for anything prior to a relationship getting more serious than just being the first few dates. This part 3) applies to both those that are employed and umemployed.
What does the year have to do with anything? Are you saying morals are & relationships degraded now? I would agree with that....

For the record, I'm in my mid 20s, a college graduate, and I have my own business. But it's not about money at all, as has been emphasized, it's the gesture and what is symbolizes.

I maintain that the man should pay at first because it sets the tone for the relationship. Otherwise, I think he just wants to be buddies or it's evidence of undesirable qualities. Men continually prove this assessment correct. The ones who are looking for a serious relationship, who respect women, and who don't value material things over human relationships are the ones who pay on the first date. Men who are immature, have a chip on their shoulder about women, just looking to get laid, and/or value their stupid money over people are the ones who don't pay. Sure, there's exceptions, but why should I stick around to find if a guy is one.

I can agree with PassTheChocolate, that after the nature of the relationship has been established, then it's reasonable for a woman to chip in, or even treat the man sometimes (especially if she does the inviting). I'm not looking to suck a guy dry in dating & I enjoy treating other people, but at first he needs to make his intentions known through his words and actions.

As emphasized over & over, the first few dates need not be a showy display of money either. Something inexpensive, creative & low-key may even be preferred. It would make me uncomfortable for someone to drop a LOT of money on the first few dates.

Also: a woman who is calculating the cost of the engagement ring is one to steer clear of....

Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
JL

6,330 posts, read 6,571,626 times
Here is what i would do. If this is a first date and you like the gal and vice-versa, then tell her that you are taking care of the bill and grab it from the table. While doing that, tell her with a smile that she will taking care of the bill on the next date. :-) If you don't like her and don't want to see her, tell her to split the bill with you.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:56 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Ahh, another one of those "should the man pay" threads.

Like many other women, I've often cooked for dates and boyfriends. A good meal comes with gourmet ingredients and good wine, so often the bill ran as high, if not higher, than what one would pay at an upscale restaurant. And the funny thing is -- it never occurred to me that my date should reimburse me for half of the expenses (or more, since usually, my date would eat and drink most of it). Sometimes, the guy would offer to bring the wine -- a nice gesture, but not expected (and on most occasions, I would actually prefer to do the pairing). The idea of presenting my date with a bill would be absurd to me. Whoever hosts the evening pays the expenses.
Since you did all the cooking, the guy should wash all the dishes and cleanup! It's a two way deal!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Since you did all the cooking, the guy should wash all the dishes and cleanup! It's a two way deal!
It's probably a cultural difference, but I for one don't want anybody I don't live with in my kitchen - before or after. Those I live with are welcome "after." Hate these open plans here, too. I want a kitchen with a DOOR!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 AM

3,193 posts, read 4,391,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Here is what i would do. If this is a first date and you like the gal and vice-versa, then tell her that you are taking care of the bill and grab it from the table. While doing that, tell her with a smile that she will taking care of the bill on the next date.
Wow, that's possibly more tacky
I'd be like, "There is no next date".

Old 05-25-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Yeah, there are new lows every day...

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I guess it doesn't sound good in writing, but like i said with a smile, not in a serious manner..if you know what i mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships